Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 12:45 AM

7 posts, read 20,941 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are probably relocating around the GR area, possibly Saranac, Ionia or Lowell. Small town in other words. We're coming from a large area and have never been in a small town. We are quite spiritual, but very private about our beliefs. Are we going to be ridiculed if we are unwilling to attend any of the local churches? It would be uncomfortable to be outcasts in a new town.

Thanks!
Zamiel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
Ridiculed? In GR? Nah.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Ridiculed? In GR? Nah.
Agreed. People around here just don't seem to ridicule one another. I don't know about Ionia or Saranac, but Lowell seems like any other suburban area in this country. We have friends there, and they talk about their kids, they talk about sports, they talk about relatives who are sick or in trouble, they talk about the economy and jobs, they talk about golf, they talk about the weather and their landscaping and shrubs and Japanese Beatles and moles and the recent storms and trees and their kids some more and a million other things other than religion. Nobody really seems to talk about religion unless you want to talk about it. I think for one thing, there are so many differing opinions even within the same denominations, that it's just not fun to talk about. Plus, there's really no way for anyone to know if you go to the local churches or not. It's not like everyone there is one religion like Mormon.

That's my experience at least.

FYI: Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Ionia or Saranac. They are just a little too far from civilization.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:03 PM

That all makes perfect sense and is what I was hoping. I did a search and there were so many churches around that I kind of felt nobody would be able to tell what we did or didn't do. I'm with you on Saranac and Ionia being too small. With the job I am coming for I may have no choice. I mean hey, GR is only 30 mins away how bad could it be?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
That all makes perfect sense and is what I was hoping. I did a search and there were so many churches around that I kind of felt nobody would be able to tell what we did or didn't do. I'm with you on Saranac and Ionia being too small. With the job I am coming for I may have no choice. I mean hey, GR is only 30 mins away how bad could it be?
Well if you were 30 minutes away from a big city like Chicago or Boston, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But GR is just a mid-sized city, so 30 minutes away will feel pretty "rural". Some people like that, but if you're used to living in a metropolitan area, it might be a culture shock.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM

447 posts, read 1,245,482 times
No one's gonna bother you. Friendly neighbors may ask you if you'd like to come to check out their church with them, so just tell them you're all set with your own thing and they'll not ask again.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
I'd prefer to live in the GR area instead of living in Ionia/Saranac. Please check it out before moving here.

Maybe Portland is an option, it could be closer.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM

This is all great info, thanks. I'm actually coming out next week to look things over and get a feel for the various areas.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:41 PM

181 posts, read 607,384 times
Lowell is nice. Definitely check it out!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 AM

Thanks GMonkey. I did like Lowell quite a bit. I liked a lot of the small communities I explored. Everything is so close together and traffic is so nonexistent that I settled on Saranac. I truly love the place. My wife and I have pretty much always lived in big cities and this is the true anti-thesis of that. We already found a house and depending on escrow we will be there within 4-6 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area