Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 AM

64 posts, read 117,657 times

Advertisements

We are from india. Me and my hubby have been lliving in arkansas for the last couple of years. Now, I will have to move alone for a job in Grand rapids starting Oct. 1 this year for atleast a couple of years. My work location is at 32nd street SE. Is that area considered good?Can u suggest good apartments near that area. Also, I have arkansas driving license and am planning to buy a new car once I get there. How fast can I change my AR drivers license to MI?thanks for ur help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billu View Post
We are from india. Me and my hubby have been lliving in arkansas for the last couple of years. Now, I will have to move alone for a job in Grand rapids starting Oct. 1 this year for atleast a couple of years. My work location is at 32nd street SE. Is that area considered good?Can u suggest good apartments near that area. Also, I have arkansas driving license and am planning to buy a new car once I get there. How fast can I change my AR drivers license to MI?thanks for ur help.
Woodland Creek Apts on East Paris. River Oaks Apts also on East Paris (South of 52nd Street). Or there are new apartments in Ada on Spaulding that are very nice:

Welcome to Stone Falls of Ada

I'd stay away from any of the other apartment complexes around that area of Kentwood near 32nd.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM

Default thanks

thanks for ur response. I will not have a car atleast till I get a MI license and buy a new car. So, I want to stay as close to my job location at 32nd street S.E. Are the apartment complexes near that location unsafe?...Can u suggest good apartment complex near (walking distance) 32nd street S.E. I appreciate ur help.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
thanks for ur response. I will not have a car atleast till I get a MI license and buy a new car. So, I want to stay as close to my job location at 32nd street S.E. Are the apartment complexes near that location unsafe?...Can u suggest good apartment complex near (walking distance) 32nd street S.E. I appreciate ur help.
Not necessarily "unsafe", just a lot of them seem to be pretty old and run-down. You might find a few good ones maybe near 32nd and Shaffer. The other ones I listed are not within walking distance.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,482 times
I think you can drive on your Arkansas license for some time before anyone will give you any trouble about it.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
I think you can drive on your Arkansas license for some time before anyone will give you any trouble about it.
I am not working right now. So, dont have a car here.I will need to buy a car over there. would I be able to buy a new car and get insurance on AR drivers license in MI?I didnt think that ws possible.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
Quote:
I am not working right now. So, dont have a car here.I will need to buy a car over there. would I be able to buy a new car and get insurance on AR drivers license in MI?I didnt think that ws possible.
Once you establish residency in any state, you will need to go to the Sec of State (DMV) and get a Michigan license. You will need to surrender your AR drivers license on the spot.

Before going to the Sec of State, get insurance coverage on your car(s) and bring proof of coverage.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
Once you establish residency in any state, you will need to go to the Sec of State (DMV) and get a Michigan license. You will need to surrender your AR drivers license on the spot.

Before going to the Sec of State, get insurance coverage on your car(s) and bring proof of coverage.
So I can get insurance coverage in MI with AR drivers license?I did not know that.that'll b easy to do.I can get insurance coverage and then go to sec of state office. Do they give the MI license on the spot?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
So I can get insurance coverage in MI with AR drivers license?I did not know that.that'll b easy to do.I can get insurance coverage and then go to sec of state office. Do they give the MI license on the spot?
If you already have a valid license from another state, I think they give you a temporary one right on the spot (and mail you the permanent one). I'd check with the Secretary of State's office to be sure:

Ha, look at that:

SOS - Obtaining a Michigan Driver License

Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
If you have a valid driver's license from another state or Canada and have moved to Michigan, visit a Secretary of State office and:

Present documentation of a valid Social Security number or letter of ineligibility, U.S. citizenship or legal presence if not a U.S. citizen, identity and Michigan residency

Take a vision test and pass the physical standards

Have your photograph taken

Pay a $25 fee and obtain a Temporary Operator's Permit. The TOP allows you to drive until your Michigan driver's license arrives in the mail.
The key document here is TWO proofs of Michigan residency. One could be the lease agreement that I will sign once I go there. But for the other one (bank statement/utility bill),I will have to wait for one month. How can anyone from another state submit two proofs of residency immediatelyon moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area