Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW12 View Post
Thanks for the reply mich2fla--sounds like both are great. Can you comment on how the schools handle children who are not a part of the top 20%? I know the schools are excellent, but are the students who are not as "gifted" feel their needs are met/supported? Are parents/grandparents,etc. welcome to volunteer in the schools? Looking for answers to both EGR and FH. Thanks!
All the kids are in the top 20%.
Isn't that Garrison Keiller's old statement "...where all the kids are above average..." or something like that?

Anyway, you should visit the schools and ask that question. The advice you get on how schools treat kids is going to be biased.

In general, don't forget... 80% of the kids aren't in the top 20%... so you can assume that your child (should he or she be in that 80% majority) would be just fine.

Both districts are fantastic. I would look at what kind of lifestyle you want.... that is where EGR and FH have stark differences (both wonderful places to live... just very different).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM

15 posts, read 39,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
All the kids are in the top 20%.
Isn't that Garrison Keiller's old statement "...where all the kids are above average..." or something like that?

Anyway, you should visit the schools and ask that question. The advice you get on how schools treat kids is going to be biased.

In general, don't forget... 80% of the kids aren't in the top 20%... so you can assume that your child (should he or she be in that 80% majority) would be just fine.

Both districts are fantastic. I would look at what kind of lifestyle you want.... that is where EGR and FH have stark differences (both wonderful places to live... just very different).
Thanks for the reply--I think one can tell a lot about a school system based on how they treat their children who have special needs or who are not as gifted as others. I will ask the question when I visit.
Thanks again for the reply, it is very helpful to get the opinions/suggestions of local people. BTW, did you get any snow yet?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW12 View Post
Thanks for the reply--I think one can tell a lot about a school system based on how they treat their children who have special needs or who are not as gifted as others. I will ask the question when I visit.
Thanks again for the reply, it is very helpful to get the opinions/suggestions of local people. BTW, did you get any snow yet?
EGR has had some flurries, but there's nothing on the ground.
It's plenty cold enough, mind you... the lake-effect bands have just blown south so far.

Less than an hour south of here they got a foot of snow in the past 2 days.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM

181 posts, read 607,384 times
My nephew is in 3rd grade at Lakeside Elementary in EGR. He is a sweet boy, but definitely not in the upper percentiles. He doesn't have copious amounts of homework and he has plenty of opportunity to join in soccer, etc. His little brother is a very rambunctious lad and is enjoying preschool in EGR. My brother and sister in law are very involved in class and volunteer often. I think that the school has a more folksy-neighborhood appeal. FH schools are definitely innovative, but they seem to push kids out of their childhood sooner. I think that it is just too much pressure. If your kid is Carl Sagan jr, then I suppose FH schools might be better than EGR, but if you want your kid to be a kid as long as possible, have a great education, and experience fun and free play--I'd go with EGR.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 39,409 times
Default EGR/FH elementary schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
My nephew is in 3rd grade at Lakeside Elementary in EGR. He is a sweet boy, but definitely not in the upper percentiles. He doesn't have copious amounts of homework and he has plenty of opportunity to join in soccer, etc. His little brother is a very rambunctious lad and is enjoying preschool in EGR. My brother and sister in law are very involved in class and volunteer often. I think that the school has a more folksy-neighborhood appeal. FH schools are definitely innovative, but they seem to push kids out of their childhood sooner. I think that it is just too much pressure. If your kid is Carl Sagan jr, then I suppose FH schools might be better than EGR, but if you want your kid to be a kid as long as possible, have a great education, and experience fun and free play--I'd go with EGR.
Thanks so much for your thoughts. We are looking forward to visiting the area--it sure seems like a great place for families.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
FH kids average 10 minutes of homework per grade level. 10 minutes in 1st grade, 70 minutes in 7th grade, etc. My kids usually get their homework done around that time then need to do some reading, flute practice, etc. Thank goodness this week is the week off for FH, no homework for our 4 girls.

We have friends in EGR and Rockford schools, their kids put in about the same time for homework.

We met with the superintendents of EGR and FH before deciding on FH. We knew we couldn't go wrong with either schools. We chose FH schools because my wife prefers rural living compared to city living.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
FH kids average 10 minutes of homework per grade level. 10 minutes in 1st grade, 70 minutes in 7th grade, etc.
I think that rule is fairly common now through at least 8th grade across many school districts.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
FH kids average 10 minutes of homework per grade level. 10 minutes in 1st grade, 70 minutes in 7th grade, etc. My kids usually get their homework done around that time then need to do some reading, flute practice, etc. Thank goodness this week is the week off for FH, no homework for our 4 girls.

We have friends in EGR and Rockford schools, their kids put in about the same time for homework.

We met with the superintendents of EGR and FH before deciding on FH. We knew we couldn't go wrong with either schools. We chose FH schools because my wife prefers rural living compared to city living.

Good luck!
Unless you're at parent-teacher conferences and your teachers say "I think your daughter can take on more work, challenge herself." Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area