Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 AM

251 posts, read 417,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My kids knew at a VERY young age that the rules at Grandma and Grandpa's were very different then they were at home. Grandma and Grandpa gave them ice cream for breakfast because they could. Grandma and Grandpa didn't make them clean up after themselves or have to worry about the 'final outcome" of the kids, that was the parent's job. Grandma and Grandpa just got to enjoy the kids and I am SO thankful that they do. Our kids love spending time with their grandparents, even as teenagers. Your kinds, on the other hand, given YOUR attitude toward them, will never get to enjoy their grandparents.
Did I tell you about the time, back in march when my wife was about 8 months pregnant, how her mom made her cry during a "family" meeting, from which I was excluded, so much so that she could not stop sobbing, how, when I got upset over this and yelled "who is making my wife cry", the mother jumped up in my face, grabbing my hands and yelling? Did I tell you how she never apologized to me for this, despite the fact that I apologized for yelling first (however I did not put my hands on her as she did to me).

Did I tell you how when my wife complained of discomfort during the late stages of pregnancy, her mother would say "oh millions of women have given birth, what you're feeling is nothing!"

Did I tell you how when my wife asked her mother to stop talking about the horrors of childbirth, the acutal part when you give birth, the ripping, etc, her mom continued on and on? I had to sit by and watch this Sh*&^t

Did I tell you how when we brought my son home from the hospital (we were living with her parents at the time so we could qualify for a mortgage in the new country) she held him for 7 hours str8, never asking me or my wife if we wanted to hold him?

Please. You can posit that I wont let them enjoy their grandchild: that's not true. What I am after is respect and boundaries.

SOmeone here is upset with me because I want revenge for what she did on Sunday. Damn right. I have never felt so low as when she took my own son off of me as he slept on me. that was horrible, and I want her to see what it feels like.

Last edited by Jlowkey; 09-28-2010 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 AM

35 posts, read 61,408 times
You sound just like my daughter-in-law. These children are hers to do what she wants with. You do not own this child. Children are not property as you describe, Its so sad for the children that do not have the full love and companionship of their grandparents because of parents like you.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
Did I tell you about the time, back in march when my wife was about 8 months pregnant, how her mom made her cry during a "family" meeting, from which I was excluded, so much so that she could not stop sobbing, how, when I got upset over this and yelled "who is making my wife cry", the mother jumped up in my face, grabbing my hands and yelling? Did I tell you how she never apologized to me for this, despite the fact that I apologized for yelling first (however I did not put my hands on her as she did to me).

Did I tell you how when my wife complained of discomfort during the late stages of pregnancy, her mother would say "oh millions of women have given birth, what you're feeling is nothing!"

Did I tell you how when my wife asked her mother to stop talking about the horrors of childbirth, the acutal part when you give birth, the ripping, etc, her mom continued on and on? I had to sit by and watch this Sh*&^t

Did I tell you how when we brought my son home from the hospital (we were living with her parents at the time so we could qualify for a mortgage in the new country) she held him for 7 hours str8, never asking me or my wife if we wanted to hold him?

Please. You can posit that I wont let them enjoy their grandchild: that's not true. What I am after is respect and boundaries.

SOmeone here is upset with me because I want revenge for what she did on Sunday. Damn right. I have never felt so low as when she took my own son off of me as he slept on me. that was horrible, and I want her to see what it feels like.

I think you need to stand up to them and stop apologizing. She might say stuff "like women rule this family" and you need to inform her well good thing my wife my family then. If you keep letting her push you around she will keep doing it. And next time there is a family meeting...show up...and if she doesn't like it tough **** .

Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sateri View Post
You sound just like my daughter-in-law. These children are hers to do what she wants with. You do not own this child. Children are not property as you describe, Its so sad for the children that do not have the full love and companionship of their grandparents because of parents like you.
You sound just like my MIL. Thank goodness your DIL has laid down the law! Bravo for her.

The children DO belong to her. Lets say your son died. Who do you think would get the kids? You? NOPE, HER. They BELONG to her until they are legally old enough to make their own decisions, hence the term MINOR.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Just a reminder to you that if it weren't for your MIL your wife would not even be here. Be happy that she cares about your son. Some in-laws don't give a damn about their grandchildren. When your child gets older and wants to spend time with his grandma I hope you let him for his sake. Don't use your child as a pawn in a vindictive game to get revenge on the MIL. I read your other thread on the same subject and you admitted that you want revenge and how sweet you think it will be.
Remember what goes around comes around. One day your son may marry a woman who hates you.

Is this directed towards me? Before MIL got sick she had them 2 weekends a month because she wanted them.

But that doesn't give her the right to question my parenting, my rules and the way I decide to raise my children.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is this directed towards me? Before MIL got sick she had them 2 weekends a month because she wanted them.

But that doesn't give her the right to question my parenting, my rules and the way I decide to raise my children.

No it wasn't directed towards you.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sateri View Post
Oh please.

When the kids are at my mother in law's they follow her "rules" which means staying up until midnight, eating a ton of crap food, running around like nincompoops etc. I don't say a WORD. Even when they come home cranky, sick and tired.

Enforcing MY rules when I am around isn't depriving my children of anything.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:

I can understand feeling upset but it is you who will have to set the boundaries. If she' holding your child for 7 hours straight you need to be the one to say, "it's my turn to hold him" and take him from her. You can't just sit around and wait for her to ask you if you'd like to hold your own son. If she tries to take your son from your arms it is you who needs to say, "I'm holding him right now, I'll give you him in a bit". If she is saying things that are upsetting to you and your wife and doesn't stop when you ask her to, it is you who needs to get up and walk away. The only person's behavior that you have control over is your own. You don't have to like her but please try to be respectful as your son will want his grandma in his life.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
I have never felt so low as when she took my own son off of me as he slept on me. that was horrible, and I want her to see what it feels like.
You've never felt so low? Really? Are you exaggerating for dramatic effect, or have you had an astonishingly cushy life? Because if someone's moving your baby is the low point, you're blessed, man. Live it up.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I can understand feeling upset but it is you who will have to set the boundaries. If she' holding your child for 7 hours straight you need to be the one to say, "it's my turn to hold him" and take him from her. You can't just sit around and wait for her to ask you if you'd like to hold your own son. If she tries to take your son from your arms it is you who needs to say, "I'm holding him right now, I'll give you him in a bit". If she is saying things that are upsetting to you and your wife and doesn't stop when you ask her to, it is you who needs to get up and walk away. The only person's behavior that you have control over is your own. You don't have to like her but please try to be respectful as your son will want his grandma in his life.
My son has a grandma, my mother. Unless my wife's mom starts acting right, I may just poison him against her. Plus, in five years we may move back to america...problem solved. She wont get to see him that much. I also hate that she gets drunk every night and talks bad about people over the dinner table, doesnt believe in God and mocks those who do. I just dont like this woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents