Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 PM

584 posts, read 871,657 times

Advertisements

I have a 25 year old son with a 2year old. he decides to plan a trip to las vegas with his baby's mother and ask me to pick up my grandchild from daycare while he is gone. In your opinion do you think he should be asking me to this or should he be planning a vacation including is child? i have mixed feelings and don't want to come across as mean but I am a working mother with a child myself and a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
there really isn't enough info in your post to answer the question. There was a thread recently in the parenting forum with all different opinions on whether or not people should vacation without their kids. There were as many opinions as there were posters. I'm assuming your son is asking you to do more than just "pick up from daycare" I would assume you'd also be responsible for feeding, bathing, dressing, etc the child and taking him back to day care each day. Do you normally spend time with the child? Are you close? How long is the proposed trip? What is it about this that is bothering you?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
I have a 25 year old son with a 2year old. he decides to plan a trip to las vegas with his baby's mother and ask me to pick up my grandchild from daycare while he is gone. In your opinion do you think he should be asking me to this or should he be planning a vacation including is child? i have mixed feelings and don't want to come across as mean but I am a working mother with a child myself and a teenager.
Like RKB there are more questions to ask.

I have no problem watching my grandchildren if my son and his wife want to go away for the occasional weekend.
I don't care where it was.
Now if it was a continual thing where they don't spend ANY or hardly any weekend with their child then I would say put a stop to it.
But parents also need their alone time and if you're willing to watch the child then I say there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Just say no. They won't like it...

Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
If you don't want to do it, just tell him so.

Don't make it about his choices - don't make it based on whether you think he should take his baby with him or not. He's an adult and it's his life and his business. His vacation, his baby, his life, his choice.

All that's for you to decide is if you want to pick up / care for your grandchild while he's away. Don't feel guilty if you don't. Grandmother doesn't automatically mean babysitter. Don't allow him to guilt-trip you if you refuse. Let him know you love him and your grandbaby but that you have enough on your plate as it is, and you don't want to take on more for the moment. If he can't respect that, then that's his choice, too. Don't let him bother or emotionally bully you into doing something you don't want to do. It's not fair to you or your grandbaby if he tries to do that.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
My wife and I try to take two vacations a year, one with the kids and one with out. When we plan something without the kids it is usually just a long weekend and we plan months in advance to make sure we have our babysitting lined up. You have to do what you have to do in this case. However, if your only reason for saying no is that they aren't taking the child, than I think that's not a very good reason. Regardless, he should have checked with you before he even started looking for hotel rooms.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I would not recommend taking a child to Vegas! And I don't think there is anything wrong with parents who feel comfortable taking an adults-only vacation. But if you feel your plate is too full to do what they have asked, then just say no. That makes more sense to me, than giving them grief and judgement over their parenting decisions.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I would not recommend taking a child to Vegas! And I don't think there is anything wrong with parents who feel comfortable taking an adults-only vacation. But if you feel your plate is too full to do what they have asked, then just say no. That makes more sense to me, than giving them grief and judgement over their parenting decisions.
We take our kids to Vegas. We always have a fun time. The pools are great and there are lots of things for families to do. If you're going to drink and gamble your money away, then that probably wouldn't be very fun for the kids. But if you're just going to have fun in a healthy way, Vegas is really fun with the kids. Our kids love Vegas. Even the simple things they talk about again and again... like having gelatto in the Venetian or sitting and watching the storms pass over the "sky" (ceiling) in the Desert Passage (Aladdin)... The Bellagio fountains and the volcano's at the Mirage... even the botanical gardens at the Bellagio impressed them. And lots of that stuff is free, too, which can make it a very affordable vacation for families, too.

Anyway - sorry to go off-topic... but just wanted to respond to that. Vegas isn't all trash and smut. It just depends on what you seek out while you're there.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We take our kids to Vegas. We always have a fun time. The pools are great and there are lots of things for families to do. If you're going to drink and gamble your money away, then that probably wouldn't be very fun for the kids. But if you're just going to have fun in a healthy way, Vegas is really fun with the kids. Our kids love Vegas. Even the simple things they talk about again and again... like having gelatto in the Venetian or sitting and watching the storms pass over the "sky" (ceiling) in the Desert Passage (Aladdin)... The Bellagio fountains and the volcano's at the Mirage... even the botanical gardens at the Bellagio impressed them. And lots of that stuff is free, too, which can make it a very affordable vacation for families, too.

Anyway - sorry to go off-topic... but just wanted to respond to that. Vegas isn't all trash and smut. It just depends on what you seek out while you're there.
I agree.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I personally never vacationed without my kids....but each set of parents is different..If his request is going to prove difficult or inconveniant to you, just flat out tell him NO, but don't wait too long, so he can make other plans, and not be upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents