Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,906 times

Advertisements

I experienced this the first time a few weeks ago. But he is being weaned. Nothing I did contented him, but looking out the window. Finally he ate a bit after a few tries. When it was bedtime, he wailed, which is unusual. I spoke gently to him and rubbed his back..then he was out like a light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
Very normal. My 2nd baby is like this, he just wails and wails in grandpa's arms, he is very addicted to me and the boob. My 1st? Grandpa (same one) was the only one who could settle him, even from week 1 (he wouldn't even settle with me!)

Weird little creatures they are! It all comes in time, some sooner than others.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM

678 posts, read 1,064,476 times
Is he around other people a lot? Does he go to daycare? He could be very attached to his parents, my little one is the same way. When she was a few months old, she only wanted her momma and no one else. She's almost two now but it still takes her some time to warm up to other people and she'll only let her momma put her to sleep. He could just be really attached to his parents.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanjean1 View Post
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

I have a new grandson - my second (first is 11 years old). He is 4 months old. I try to see him once a week, usually babysitting for him late afternoon into the evening while his parents are at work (Mom says this is his "fussy" time).

He is not a good sleeper or napper, manages to catch a few 20 - 30 minute naps during the day. He does not sleep through the night yet.

The trouble is that when he sees me, he cries and cries. I know all of his Mom's tricks to comfort him and he sometimes can be comforted, but when I took over for his babysitter this week he was inconsolable until his Mom and Dad got home. All is OK when he sees me if he is with his them, but if Mom is not around he wails - even the sound of my voice talking to him can set him off.

I SO want to continue to see him at least once a week - but I feel badly if the visit is only going to lead to him being upset.

Has anyone ever had this experience? Any advice or suggestions? Is it because he is so young? Will it pass soon?

Is it normal for such a young one to have what seems like separation anxiety?

I am feeling like he just doesn't like me - but hope that isn't it!! Help!!
That does seem very young to have that much reaction for that length of time. Do they sit and hold him all day when they are home?? It can't be good for him to cry all day, or you either.
Maybe forego the daycare, and just visit when he is home w/ Mom and Dad til you build up more relationship. It just isn't working out, and there is no fault here. Good luck

Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
I myself am a new grandmother for the first time. My grandson is soo adorable, cant get enough of him from sun up to sun down. I know what to expect as a grandmother because I babysat my nieces or other family members babies and kids. So to be honest it really isn't that bad. If you make the effort to be with your grandchild and make the time to bond as a grandmother, you should have no problems. If you know you are gonna be sitting your grandchild the next day, plan the night before to get plenty of rest. And the next morning don't forget to have your breakfast, so you have that extra energy to tend to your grandchild. You,grandma, can make the most cherished moments and memories with your grandchild that will last a lifetime. Patience is key!

Last edited by First time grandma; 01-26-2016 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 05:16 AM

41 posts, read 30,018 times
Try not to take it personally. He will get better as he gets older and gets to know you. Some children will go through this at different stages. He may get better and then go through this again at 3 or 4 years of age. I worked in daycare for years and I have seen children go through this at different ages. Try to find something that they like and distract them with that. Usually after a few minutes of crying they will settle down if you can get there attention on something else, and playing a little music sometimes helps also.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Colic? I think this will work itself out over time.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM

291 posts, read 377,408 times
As a 4x mom- I tell you you are awesome for helping out like that! I do agree much of this may stem from it being the baby's fussiest time of day. I think if you stick with it you will find something that works. However, please keep a strong line of communication with mom. One of the grandparents in our family would rather have a miserable grandchild than admit that all is not perfect. A care giver being honest actually makes me want to keep trying rather than give up. It makes me trust them even more. As in I'd rather hear "He was fussy today and I tried xyz to comfort him' than hear "he was fine"if that's not exactly the case. The honest caregivers-family or hired are the ones that leave me with a sense of peace because I can trust they will let me know if things are not going well. I can got to work etc & rest assured but I bet your sweet grandson will end up loving his time with you!

Last edited by Wanderlove; 02-02-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Colic? I think this will work itself out over time.
I wondered about him being a little colicky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
As a 4x mom- I tell you you are awesome for helping out like that! I do agree much of this may stem from it being the baby's fussiest time of day. I think if you stick with it you will find something that works. However, please keep a strong line of communication with mom. One of the grandparents in our family would rather have a miserable grandchild than admit that all is not perfect. A care giver being honest actually makes me want to keep trying rather than give up. It makes me trust them even more. As in I'd rather hear "He was fussy today and I tried xyz to comfort him' than hear "he was fine"if that's not exactly the case. The honest caregivers-family or hired are the ones that leave me with a sense of peace because I can trust they will let me know if things are not going well. I can got to work etc & rest assured but I bet your sweet grandson will end up loving his time with you!
I agree with this. As a working Mom, at one time, I really appreciated knowing what was going on.

After 4 children, 5 grandboys and 1 granddaughter.....I can honestly say they were all different.

eta, I meant to tell you good luck. I hope it works out and it probably will.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
my son and daughter in law used to bring over my granddaughter when she was colicky and they could no longer take it.

I would walk her for hours and rub her back until she finally burped and finally fell asleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents