Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Wow, I feel really bad for you. Like everyone already said. The grandparents have the right to know and the father also have a responsibility to his child. How can he ask you to be his friend and then ignore his own child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
^^^^^Friends do NOT do things like this to their "friends". They just don't! He's not a friend. He's a pig. I think the guy's had ample time to break the news to his parents....nearly 11 months, right? Yeah....I'd just break the ice and let them know.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Best of luck to you. The next several weeks or even months are likely to be quite stressful, but I wholeheartedly believe that in the long run, you are doing the right thing and your child will benefit from it.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
You are making the right choice. Even if it is very ugly for a while.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
You don't really know anything about these people at all. Suppose they turn out to be real low lifes - the type that you would never, ever want your child to be around?

I think you should listen to your lawyer and once you've got paternity and child support established, maybe you could talk to this father about whether or not his parents should be informed about their grandchild. Ideally, he would be the one to tell them because he is the one with the relationship with them.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 PM

12 posts, read 20,280 times
Well, I didn't get brave enough to tell his parents. I did, however, fill out the application to establish paternity with the attorney general. I'm so nervous! He is going to be so angry!!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Tell his parents, they need to know. They might even kick him where he needs to be kicked, who knows?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyKate View Post
Well, I didn't get brave enough to tell his parents. I did, however, fill out the application to establish paternity with the attorney general. I'm so nervous! He is going to be so angry!!
I think you have done the right thing. Get all the paternity and financial issues out of the way FIRST. Then, if his parents are not the same type of individuals as their son is, you may consider telling them.

To my knowledge grandparents have no legal rights whatsoever where grandchildren are concerned, and despite the bleeding heart advice you have received about their "need" to know, that is sentimental BS. The last thing you need is two grandparents like their bum son sniffing around your kids. Once you open that can of worms, you won't be able to close it!!! Stick it out for you and your kids, you are the one with the rights, you are the one with the needs.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Good for you!! You know SBK, it takes two to tango. It took two people to create that sweet baby. If he had been practicing safe sex, he would have worn a condom, regardless of whether or not you'd had your tubes tied. If he was actually a real friend of yours, he wouldn't have been or BE behaving like he is. Let's face it, clearly, you were simply a gullible booty call for him and he was not your friend. Let him be angry! Who cares? Seriously, he has shown a complete and total disregard for both you and his child. Let him be angry! Consequence has reared its ugly head for him, hasn't it? Good for you girl!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
You should tell his parents as well SweetBabyKate, they might be really nice people and they might be thrilled to have a grand daughter....If I were you I'd not look at any texts from him, nor answer any more of his calls...he's not your friend SBK, your baby is more of a friend to you than he is,...I'd be devastated as a grandparent to find out I had a grandchild that I've not had a chance to get to know, or to at least buy some of the things she might need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents