U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM

5,741 posts, read 13,910,733 times
Default Do your grandkids have their own room at your house?

We have two grandsons, ages 3 and 1. They stay overnight once every few months. We are hoping to have them over more frequently once I am done with school this year. Right now we keep a lot of toys for them in our one guest room, but they sleep on the floor in our room when they stay over. I'm not sure if we want to fix up the guest room as "their room" or if we want to keep it more neutral in case we have other guests overnight (which is rare). I wondered how others accommodate grandkids who stay overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM

4,949 posts, read 2,769,099 times
I'm not a grandmother yet but I can share a story from my family (and friends have told me similar stories).

When my children were young they would visit their paternal grandparents in Florida once or sometimes twice a year (we were a thousand mile plane trip away). Their cousin lived a few minutes from grandma & grandpa and saw them everyday and he stayed overnight several nights per week when he was young.

When we, or the children alone when they were older, would visit my MIL and FIL would always refer to the toys, books, etc as belonging to the other grandchild. "You can play with Sam's toys". or "If you want something to read at night, here are Sam's books". and, the big one, "You can sleep in Sam's bedroom while you are here." They didn't do this to hurt our children if was just that they were so used to saying it that way.

Although, my children loved their grandparents a lot, and they were wonderful grandparents, our kid's told us that it made them feel like they weren't as important as Sam.

So unless you know for sure that these will be your only two grandkids make a "generic grandkids" bedroom and refer to the room and toys etc as belonging to all the grandkids. Also, think of future grandkids if you decorate the room. You have two boys now but if the room is totally decorated with Monster Trucks, or GI Joes or Cowboys or some other "typical boy theme" what happens when your third grandchild is a beautiful, little princess who loves pink, ruffles and glitz?

Your other overnight guests would probably be happier in a more generic room as well.

For the OP and other grandparents, keep in mind that you may have an age range of grandchildren. I come from a family of four and when my mother died her grandchildren ranged in age from a newborn to a 22 year old college graduate to a 35 year old step-grandchild and everything in between. You will want all your grandchildren to feel comfortable visiting you and staying in that room.

Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-13-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM

12,684 posts, read 13,951,216 times
We only have one grandson and he's only 14 months. He has only stayed over once, so far,
but even when visiting with his parents his naps are in the same guest room just so he's familiar with it and comfortable. We do get other overnight guests 2-3 times a year and also need the guest room if one of us gets sick and the other doesn't want to catch it. I doubt we would do anything special to make it "his room" since he would only sleep in it. His toys stay in the family room. For those who haven't tried it, being a grandparent is a wonderful experience.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 PM

16,581 posts, read 12,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
We have two grandsons, ages 3 and 1. They stay overnight once every few months. We are hoping to have them over more frequently once I am done with school this year. Right now we keep a lot of toys for them in our one guest room, but they sleep on the floor in our room when they stay over. I'm not sure if we want to fix up the guest room as "their room" or if we want to keep it more neutral in case we have other guests overnight (which is rare). I wondered how others accommodate grandkids who stay overnight.
Why not have the 3 year old sleep in the guest bed and the 1 year old in a pack-n-play?

Neither set of grand parents ever had a special room for our kids. They have a guest room where some toys are stored. My parents had a pack-n-play when they kept my kids once/week. They never had a real crib.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 AM

865 posts, read 698,161 times
My two oldest had thier own rooms for years. Now with a toddler, an infant and one on the way, these three are going to have to share a room.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the responses, very interesting to read and think about!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 AM

8,183 posts, read 10,770,302 times
My g-girls are 3 and 5. They've never lived close but come see us at least 2x a year.

I have a basket full of toys, coloring books, what have you in the computer room/office. I also have a small dresser we move in there when they are there for their clothes.

I also went and got princess air mattresses for them to sleep on. They are just deflated after they leave.

It's set up before they get there so right now they think it's "their" room.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 AM

I need to get a basket, dresser or something to hold all these toys.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM

677 posts, read 404,395 times
My parents had a "kid" room at their house when my kids were little. One side of the closet, and a cedar chest held toys, clothes, pack'n'play, etc. There were also 2 twin beds in the room. It could be used as a guest room, if needed, but the kids knew all their stuff was there.

Now, my grandkids don't have their own room in my house yet, but they will once the other kids start moving out. For the time being, I have a closet with toys, and a little plastic set of drawers for bottles, snacks, extra clothes, diapers, etc. The two babies who visit regularly are both under 2, so we have some time to set up their "own" space. I plan on doing it like my parents did.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM

647 posts, read 468,089 times
My mother has a pack and play set up in the living room along with a changing pad, so when the baby is there, she kind of takes over the living room, but its not a room just for her.

On my In Laws Side, they have an extra bedroom that has kind of morphed into the baby's room by default. But they always refer to it as the "extra bedroom", not the "baby's bedroom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents