Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times

Advertisements

We (as the parents) would get the "big ticket" gift, but I always told my mom what we were getting so she could get other items that went with it. (We bought the 3DS, but she gave a couple games and a case for it).

It can be a joint effort.

What has happened with your daughter that she would have a power trip against you like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolij4 View Post
It is extraodinarily rude and controlling for my daughter to deliberately keep secret what my grandkids want for Christmas simply because she doesn't want me to buy them a specific gift.

If this is how she truly wants to parent, then she should have the chutzpah to say it to my face.

"Sorry but the items at the top of the list are for me to get. You can get them something else."

But instead, it's all very cloak and dagger and a big power grab.

I have no problem buying them pajamas. I have a problem with the way my daughter tries to control the gift-giving dynamic. It's sad and disturbing.
Sounds like your daughter is being too nice to you.

If you knew what was at the top of the list, and that your daughter was buying those items for the kids what would your response be?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
What is sad and disturbing is that you will not allow your D to parent as she sees fit. Talk about controlling. Look inward.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
It is extraodinarily rude and controlling for my daughter to deliberately keep secret what my grandkids want for Christmas simply because she doesn't want me to buy them a specific gift.

If this is how she truly wants to parent, then she should have the chutzpah to say it to my face.

"Sorry but the items at the top of the list are for me to get because I am their mother. You can get them something else."

But instead, it's all very cloak and dagger and a big power grab.

I have no problem buying them pajamas. I have a problem with the way my daughter tries to control the gift-giving dynamic. It's sad and disturbing.
The phrase "first-world problems" comes to mind right about now.

Get over it.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,165 times
I am amazed that most of you don't think this deceit is wrong. I guess deceitfulness is just a part of your parenting these days?

Incidentally it's only my younger daughter who does this. My other daughter does not engage in these kinds of games. Nor do my husband's children from his first marriage.

With my other daughter the conversation goes like this:

"What does Jacob want for Xmas"
"Oh he wants an iPad" she replies
"Are you getting him that?"
"Yeah probably, but if you want to get it thats fine. Whatever" she replies
"No thats OK, I'll get him the train set"
"ok sounds good" she replies

Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
Why is there a difference between "They need new pajamas" and "They want an iPad, so that's what we're getting them. They do need new pajamas, though, if you'd like to get them some."?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
How about instead of asking what the child wants (which isn't getting you the response that you want), ask, "What are you buying for Johnny?" That way they will hopefully tell you what they plan on purchasing and you can still decide on what you want to get the child.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
I am amazed that most of you don't think this deceit is wrong. I guess deceitfulness is just a part of your parenting these days?

Incidentally it's only my younger daughter who does this. My other daughter does not engage in these kinds of games. Nor do my husband's children from his first marriage.

Really? You want to tell your daughter how to converse? I would bet a dollar she is glad to be rid of you.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:

Good grief. Buy the kids some pajamas and get the hell on with your life.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Yes, there's quite a detailed chapter on it in "What To Expect When You're Expecting".

Quote:

"I'd love to buy Jacob pajamas for Christmas. What sport/tv show/characters does he like now? By the way I'd like to buy him something special to go along with the pajamas, what do you think he would like?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents