Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Exactly. A lawyer sending a letter is initiating engagement. You'll stir things up simply because you have a problem not answering your door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
No letter. Don't poke the bear.

DISENGAGE.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:00 PM

14 posts, read 38,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You should call a lawyer - they usually give free consultations. They could advise you on the wisdom of a notarized letter. But the letter wouldn't be legally binding - it would just be evidence in a future restraining order hearing. I really don't think the suing for visitation would go very far - they have no established relationship with the children, and there's a history of abuse in your family. You're looking at one court hearing at the most. Those laws were designed for grandparents who were being unfairly excluded from their grandchildren's lives after longstanding relationships or when their own child died and the child's spouse isolated the children.

Your drinking is not really relevant unless it's far more serious than you assert.

Just remember: Today, it is very easy to find someone. I've tracked people down before who didn't want to be found (custodial issue with an ex's kid who was being abused by his mother), and I'm just an amateur. They have the money for a real PI. Your parents are also wealthy and retired - they could buy a second home where you are, or take extended vacations in the area. Be willing to take a stand where you go, or you're going to end up moving again and again.

View your parents like herpes. They're never gonna fully go away (until they die), but the flare-ups will get less and less frequent as long as you do the right stuff.

And come up with a plan as to how your children should respond should your parents approach them.
Like herpes. Well I can relate to that...

My drinking was very very bad. I drank and was a young punk rock hoodlum giving plasma and getting into all kinds of petty trouble and stuff. Horrible times. I was depressed and even went to a mental institution ...when I was about 17. Things changed when I had kids. Not overnight. I mean it was a steep learning curve... And I fell off more than once.

But, none of that represents what kind of parent I am today. And...my overbearing parents harassing us and my history with them and their history as manipulative people and 1/2 abusive babysitters, to me, indicates that them visiting isn't a good idea. Its not healthy for anyone but them...because theyre old and lonely and feed off youth and controlling other people.

Anyways I have to start doing some initial homework into getting a real estate agent / appraisal for this old housr...and possibly calling a lawyer...but mainly getting this house sold and moving far away. I really hope my parents will have a shred of civility (I'm an eternal optimist. pft) and/ just be too lazy to follow us cross country. Wish me luck.

Will keep informed of any further dramatic events.
Thanks for your help.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
How is an RO or notarized letter going to stop you from picking up a phone or answering the door/window taps?

Legal remedies don't come into play until AFTER you have already refused contact and stopped answering the door/phone. The courts and lawyers are not here to (ironically) act like mommy/daddy telling people to go away for you.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM

I think some if you need to re-read the whooole thread. The whole 'disengage' issue has been settled like 2 pages ago. But thanks for the advice! I'll take into consideration...

Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Speaking of which, I'm going to need to disengage from this thread and get some work done IRL.

Thanks to all those offering caring non judgemental advice. Yall really made my morning. And to those taking 'shots' at me. (1%) Thank you too!... I'm learning about boundaries today and one if my boundaries us staying away from needless negativity both online and off.

Cheers!

Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlainB View Post
I think some if you need to re-read the whooole thread. The whole 'disengage' issue has been settled like 2 pages ago. But thanks for the advice! I'll take into consideration...
Sorry, I don't believe you.

I've read every word. As long as you keep mentioning lawyers, you're still thinking about offense, not defense.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
We're pointing out that having a lawyer send a letter is actually engaging.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Speaking of which, I'm going to need to disengage from this thread and get some work done IRL.

Thanks to all those offering caring non judgemental advice. Yall really made my morning. And to those taking 'shots' at me. (1%) Thank you too!... I'm learning about boundaries today and one if my boundaries us staying away from needless negativity both online and off.

Cheers!
I just want you to know that I'm not taking shots. I'm telling it to you straight.

I have friends who had similar issues, and I'm confident you can overcome this.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Your priorities need to be (1) your family and (2) your sobriety. If anything in your life doesn't support those two priorties, get rid of it.

Get some therapy for you and your wife if you can afford it. If you're both coming from abusive situations, you need to learn a new normal. A good therapist can help you learn that you don't have to hide in a closet when your relatives knock on the door. You can sit on your couch with the blinds open and ignore them if you want to. (BTW, all that talk about hiding in a closet makes me wonder if you ever had to do that as a child. Or wished you could.)

Good luck with all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents