U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:45 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,510,517 times

Advertisements

I have my youngest grandson age four staying every Thursday night till he gets picked up on the Friday night then his older brother stays every Friday night sometimes until Sunday.. They treat my house as their second home, Older grandkids dont stay nearly as often now , but still do on occassions Im making the most of the Thursday nights with the four year old as after August it all stops and he goes to school and wont be able to stay as its too far from his school.. Hes into roleplay all the time and him and I have Police days.. Avenger days, Doctor days.. Fireman days.. oh the list is endless and he takes it all so serious.. Today he was Officer Hammer Miami P.D. I was Sergeant Hustler giving out the rota for the days jobs... he suggested to me.. Flying over to London to apprehend two Vampires.. Ten firefighters on top of a building in distress.. A cat up a tree needing to be saved.. and a Kidnapping on the Freeway.., He put it all in order then said .. I think we ll attend to the cat first Sergeant... it took me all my time to keep my face straight. Older grandkids dont visit as much now as four work , and dont live nearby.. but they do visit now and then ,see the grandaughters every two weeks..... so Im making the most of the wee ones while they still find their granny fascinating and amazing. hahaha..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:57 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is it just me or are today's grandparents obsessed with sleepovers? Both sets of grandparents always talk about having the kids overnight. They both live nearby and see the kids plenty. I don't see then need for kids of any age to sleepover. Dropping them off for the day is fine because you can do things with them and have fun. Why the need to have them sleep there? All they do is sleep.

When I was young I never ONCE slept at either grandparents houses and I LOVED spending time with my grandparents and saw them all the time. It gets to the point where every time I ask them to babysit they try to turn it into a sleepover. They always let the kids stay up past their bedtime and spoil them to death. Then when they get home they are tired whinny messes. They act rude and entitled and cranky for 48 hrs afterwards.

It's not worth it to me and I see no benefit. So whats the deal with this? Isn't spending the day with grandkids enough?

Also to add: We are not asking them to babysit late at night. I'm talking any time of day is turned into pushing a sleepover on us.
Are you freaking kidding me? My mother, not the most nurturing sort, had the kids over maybe five times during the entirety of their childhoods, while my in-laws lived two hundred miles away.

Here you are with two sets of grandparents practically begging to take the kids off your hands for a night and you're complaining?

I mean, sheesh, you don't love your spouse? Don't want a date night? Don't want to sleep in? We would have killed for the privilege.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you freaking kidding me? My mother, not the most nurturing sort, had the kids over maybe five times during the entirety of their childhoods, while my in-laws lived two hundred miles away.

Here you are with two sets of grandparents practically begging to take the kids off your hands for a night and you're complaining?

I mean, sheesh, you don't love your spouse? Don't want a date night? Don't want to sleep in? We would have killed for the privilege.
I was divorced very young and left with three very young children.. I would have set off fireworks if my mother would have offered to keep mine even one night a week in her house to give me some space... she did babysit a night a week but I had to be home at a decent time to let her go home..... what I would have done for someone to take mine for sleepovers.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:00 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,043,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is it just me or are today's grandparents obsessed with sleepovers? Both sets of grandparents always talk about having the kids overnight. They both live nearby and see the kids plenty. I don't see then need for kids of any age to sleepover. Dropping them off for the day is fine because you can do things with them and have fun. Why the need to have them sleep there? All they do is sleep.

When I was young I never ONCE slept at either grandparents houses and I LOVED spending time with my grandparents and saw them all the time. It gets to the point where every time I ask them to babysit they try to turn it into a sleepover. They always let the kids stay up past their bedtime and spoil them to death. Then when they get home they are tired whinny messes. They act rude and entitled and cranky for 48 hrs afterwards.

It's not worth it to me and I see no benefit. So whats the deal with this? Isn't spending the day with grandkids enough?

Also to add: We are not asking them to babysit late at night. I'm talking any time of day is turned into pushing a sleepover on us.
I think the obvious solution is don't ask them to babysit... hire someone who's not emotionally attached to your kids.

But the part of your post I bolded confuses me. If the grandparents let your kids stay up later than their bedtime, isn't that your fault because you didn't pick the kids up early enough?

Maybe the grands don't want to deal with kids that are getting overtired and cranky and would like them to sleep over so they can put them to bed?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:38 AM

This is one of mine now a young man who I had the first four years of his life as him mum worked, he had sleepovers all the time and I wouldnt have changed it for the world, this is him yesterday as a godfather. 6ft four and gorgeous.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:19 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 9 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,511,818 times
HaI have the opposite. My granddaughter has her own room at my house and she just informed me to pick a "week" in July for her to stay over. BTW, she only lives 4 miles away and she normally spends every Saturday night here after we go to yard sales or swimming on saturdays.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 AM

I remember years ago in a newspaper a mother writing in complaining about her MIL who took her three year old grandson five days a week to allow the mother to work.... the mother was furious as she has asked the child what he did in grannys and he said Watch cartoons... as granny is busy talking with her friends...... the mother in her haste and anger had forgot that this woman had given most of her time to minding the child and didnt ask for a penny.. .. so why didnt she either stay at home or pay for professional daycare instead of moaning.. IM not saying kids should be shoved in front of a tv.. but sometimes grannys get tired or are busy and cant always be play leaders all day.... Right now my wee four year old is watching Scooby Doo.. while eating his second lunch of the day.. I think he just asks to keep me on my toes as Im not doing roleplay with him just now hahahah. so Ill have my tea and get on with some Cops and Robbers just in case he tells his mum I make him watch tv all day.... hahahaha..as to the OP.. just imagine not having them to mnd the kids, many couples and single mums dont have the luxury... before you pick holes in them.. this is what keeps grannys worlds alive..and gives the kids memories money cant buy..... roleplay time... must go.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:09 PM

1,666 posts, read 773,026 times
Some of my fondest memories are of spending the night(s) with my grandparents. There were always little extra treats that I didn't get at home and long stories that my mother didn't have time to tell me. There was a trunk of dress-up clothes and lots of costume jewelry to try on. We would go to festivals and explore different parts of town.

My daughter's absolutely joy was to go spend nights with her grandparents and great-grandparents for exactly the same reason.

In turn, my granddaughter and her step-sisters thought coming to my house for the weekend was like a trip to paradise. I had a trunk of old formals, shawls, hats, wigs, jewelry, etc. and they got to do fun things like have dinner in the bathtub (really....that was a great favorite).

I truly feel sorry for a child who doesn't get to "run away from home" to Grandma's.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:49 PM

29,614 posts, read 31,942,975 times
Both my kids did sleepovers with the grandparents regularly. My youngest did it occasionally right up until he started high school because he and my dad liked puttering around and going on adventures. I once asked my dad if he was ok with it and he said he'd take him as long as he could because one of the sleepovers would be the last, and that was right around age 14 when peers and friends and other things took priority. They are still fairly close now that he's 25, but he leaves after dinner now!

Old 06-22-2016, 12:00 AM

One of my granddaughters phones me ever night to let me hear her guitar playing and she writes her own songs..so I get to hear them first, which is a big compliment to me.. or we talk about what dinner she will create for her parents to take home., next week when she comes over..thats a big deal to her.. she likes learning how to put it all together..Shes fourteen now and Im making the most of it for us both before she moves on to the next part of her life.. I want to give my grandchildren great memories as I still have of my granny... she had a tiny house and not able to take any of her many grandchlldren but we all still thought the world of her..She was always at home, never got out as she couldnt walk properly and had no garden to sit out in... but never complained and always had a sweet smile and baking in the oven when we got back from school..wonderful granny, Ill never come up to her level no matter how I work at it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents