Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

My youngest daughter asked that I think about DVDs for my 3 year old grand-daughter, but I don't know anything about children's films. Any ideas?

And what do you get for a tiny less than 1 year old that they'd recognize as a gift?

Suggestions, plz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 05:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
My youngest daughter asked that I think about DVDs for my 3 year old grand-daughter, but I don't know anything about children's films. Any ideas?

And what do you get for a tiny less than 1 year old that they'd recognize as a gift?

Suggestions, plz!
I don't know what the new Elmo does.. seems like I saw one the other day that reminded me of an animated ROFL All my 3 year olds loved all the disney animated movies..Especially the old classic Pluto ones..They love dogsAnd you can't go wrong with anything having to do with what
tv preschool show they watched..Mine were into Barney down to Blues Clues to Teletubbies..I don't know what they watch now..The baby? Depends on his age..If he is nine months to 12, he would just as soon play with all the wrappings and boxes If he is walking, maybe a pull or push toy..

Last edited by ontheroad; 11-29-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Thanks, blue62--you're right about the baby (a girl) with the wrappings.

So, I'll check that big "A" in the sky and see what comes up for children's DVDs. I am really out of the loop, even the Disney and Company loop. Barney is familiar.

Good suggestions!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I babysat a little girl who was 3, she loves bluesclues so any dvd with them would be a hit (at least with her) She also liked the play dressup toys like heels, purse and things like that.

For something for the baby, I agree about the push/pull idea. There is one toy my grandbabies liked that had tubes all around with little plastic rings they could run the tubes around.. like this
Product Image (http://www.etoys.com/hiresPop.html/productType/toys/graphicName/308601_1001_LP.jpg/GW/500/GH/500 - broken link)

Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 AM

Thanks, Keeper, for your suggestions. I never heard of "blueclues" which I believe after checking is a television program.

I'm not certain but I believe television is a no-no in my daughter's house.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
ahh. Ok then no teletubies either.. They make DVDs of BluesClues and Teletubies. Mostly songs and dancing

Susie *not real name* also liked to color. I got her some books that are kind of like the old 'paint books' where you just wet the paint brush and the color magically appears, they don't require real crayons. I remember my grandson liked to color the walls, at his house, not mine.. LOL
I am just trying to think of the things she really liked to play with in a whole room full of toys, she really liked the less expensive things. Play dough is also something they really like and is non-toxic so if the baby gets into it, it won't hurt baby.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
Again, not a grandparent but a mom of a 20 month old. The kids we know around that age love Little Einstiens (its the step up from Baby Einstiens and is a cartoon that uses Classical music and art in each episode...very cool and attention catching). You can get them at Walmart, Best Buy, or even from the Disney website. Our daughter was less than a year old last Christmas and she really didn't understand much. She enjoyed playing with the ribbions on everything. Someone gave her a really nice set of stacking blocks that she loved at that age. I believe they came from the website Land of Nod, but I know you can get them at TJMax too as I have seen them there. Good luck. What a sweet grandparent you are!!!!!

Okay so I just looked on the Land of Nod and they no longer have the blocks but I did find them on the Target website. Parents Teaching Towers with Bag : Target

Last edited by little_thirsty; 12-01-2007 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Suggestions, plz!
For your 3 year old;
some dvd's can be
Veggie Tales (Christian Themed)
Dora the Explorer
Wiggles
Disney (any princess one)
For the baby
Stuffed animal, Voice/light "mobile's "for the crib, One of those round walkers (don't know what you call it) with all the gadgets on it; anything with songs that you can squeeze, cuddly, fluffy things.
Check out Toys r Us online catalogs.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM

183 posts, read 1,007,275 times
I found a Disney Princess Keyboard for my 3 year old grandaughter. I think this will be a hit, beside we got her a baby alive. She loves her babies! My 2 1/2 year old twin grandaughters , I got the My Little Pony Teapot and the Littlest Pet shop playset. My youngest grandaughter (6 months) got her the Fisher Price 2 in 1 Learning Kitchen. Hope this helps!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks all for your terrific suggestions. I have a much better idea of what might do the trick.

With 4 doting grand-parents these girls are not without goodies all year round occasionally making these special holidays a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents