Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 08:25 PM

188 posts, read 974,504 times

Advertisements

Our 5 week old grandson has colic and we have tried everything!! We have rocked, bounced, walked, ran the vacum cleaner ( still not sure what the purpose of doing that was...but at least the carpet is clean), tried Mylacon, changed to different bottles, even a little Sprite diliuted with water. He doesn't spit up, and he isn't constipated. He is on Good Start DHA ARA formula. He takes 4 ounces every 3 to 4 hours...would take more but it seemed to make him worse. Today has been awful, He hasn't slept over 15 minutes at a time then he wakes up screaming. Any ideas? Any one ever tried the Colic Calm or Gripe Water? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,626 times
Have you tried swaddeling him ? we did this with our son and it seemed to help. Sorry you are all going through this. Blessings Michelle

Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM

188 posts, read 974,504 times
Tried that too...didn't help. He likes to be able to move his feet and legs. We just feel so helpless because we can't fix it!! He will just look at you like he is saying "can't you help me?" Breaking our hearts!!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,673 times
When my daughter had colic my MIL made me some catnip tea. It grows in the woods around here in N.C. so I am sure it is in Tennessee. She also made some ground ivy tea but the catnip tea seem to work better. Another thing was suppositories, if his little tummy is hurting and he isn't having a soft bm try them.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 PM

303 posts, read 980,308 times
I am sorry you and the baby are going through this. Here is a link that you may like to check out. Good luck to you and little one.

What are the symptoms of collic? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
If you have checked with his Pediatrician, and everything is Ok I would suggest switching formulas.

Our newest grandbaby was having a terrible time with gas and colic... tried Mylicon, walking rocking and everything else with no success. Then her Mom switched to Enfamil Gentlease Lipil and she got MUCH better!! It has less lactose and is formulated for 'gassy' babies. Still had to use the Mylicon for her first two months but we could really see the difference.

Despite all of the advice to the contrary she also INSISTED on sleeping on her side... from day one, if we turned her to her back she would wake up screaming. When we let her sleep on her side (and watched her closely) she slept like an angel.

Good luck

Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
I am very sorry to hear about your grandson. I have a 9month old who had it up until he was 6mths. It would always start up about 7pm. The only two things that would work would be putting him in the stroller and wheeling him around the house and also turning on the radio to the am station so there was static and putting it at a semi loud level

Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
We have milk allergy in our family. Gas, bloating, diarrhea, miserable.
Other allergies too.
Went to soy formula. Bingo.

And as far as testing, sometimes, allergies don't show up so easily with infants early on with testing. The gold standard is..."can you eat it"

Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 PM

104 posts, read 435,417 times
My colicky baby is now 20 years old, but I remember it like it was yesterday. Two things that worked wonders for us were - a luke warm water bottle that we would place on her stomach and then swaddle her in the blanket to keep the water bottle in place. The other thing was a swing (what a godsend) . That was the only place she would fall asleep and stay asleep for atleast 2 hrs. I remember that helpless feeling well, but it normally lasts no longer than 5 months of age, and thank goodness they don't remember it.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 PM

22 posts, read 82,221 times
Default Hope this helps!!!

I have an 8 month old little girl and we had the same problem. It would be very wise to check with your pediatrician, because our little one had colic symptoms, however the culprit was acid reflux. They put her on Zantac when she was 6 weeks old. Then just a couple of weeks ago, we saw a pediatric gastrointerologist who actually had her change to a different prescription-Prilosec. It has made all the difference in the world!!!!! Is your grandson arching his back a lot? The gastrointerlogist had a name for it, and said it is one of the classic signs of acid reflux. I hope this helps. It sure did for us. We went from a baby who cried 80% of the time and never slept longer than an hour, to a happy and pain free baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents