U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:53 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,746,962 times

Advertisements

Unless the minor child has a fb account, they cannot be tagged. The likelihood of any future employer searching back 20 years for posts posted by a parent is very slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM

16,874 posts, read 17,190,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Aren't you aware police monitor those types of searches on the internet?
Of course, I'm aware that police and other groups monitor internet searches.

But, if photographs of "little girls in panties" are so, very, very innocent, appropriate and are just cute pictures of kids (as many/some people on C-D are saying) than I should be totally safe.

And, some/many people on C-D were so very clear that I was stupid to even think that anyone other than an immediate family member would ever see those photographs that were posted online. I'll never know if the parents of the girls posted thought that their photographs were private.

I stated my opinion and read others opinions. I'll depart now.

PS. I actually was a little worried to make a search that like that.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,746,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I wondered if that really is the case.

So I tried to check out if I really could find pictures like that.

My Oh My, within five minutes of searching on Facebook I found whole pages with dozens of photographs of young girls in underwear only and underwear and pulled up tops (showing their chests). All of the photographs listed the source, many with both first and last name (I'm not sure if those were the Mom's name or the child's name). Many of them had Facebook type labels like "See my first big girl panties!" or "I love taking bubble baths" or "We (sisters) like to dress alike".

I briefly glanced at a couple of the photographs (to try to see if they really came from Facebook) and then I left the site.

If an absolute, computer idiot like me could find Facebook pictures like that in less than five minutes, imagine what someone who is motivated and knows what they are doing can do?

Sort of scary.
I am not sure what kind of search you did. If they came from FB, you would be on the FB site. I have tried searching for my own FB photos, but since I have my page as private, nothing shows up in the search.

Again, the names could not be the names of the child, unless the child has their own FB profile. A lot of times parents will tag themselves in the photos of their children.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM

9,173 posts, read 7,032,243 times
Quote:
Of course, I'm aware that police and other groups monitor internet searches.

But, if photographs of "little girls in panties" are so, very, very innocent, appropriate and are just cute pictures of kids (as many/some people on C-D are saying) than I should be totally safe.

And, some/many people on C-D were so very clear that I was stupid to even think that anyone other than an immediate family member would ever see those photographs that were posted online. I'll never know if the parents of the girls posted thought that their photographs were private.

I stated my opinion and read others opinions. I'll depart now.

PS. I actually was a little worried to make a search that like that.
Um, you know if you're going to be that sarcastic, then it's impolite to take your ball and go home.

And they are so very innocent, appropriate, and cute. If you wish to pander to the lowest common denominator and also sexualize it, then that's on you.

Other people will do vile things. Don't let them drag you down to their level by giving them power over innocence.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:28 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,980,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I don't have children yet, but my husband and I have actually talked about this in the past. When I see pictures of my friends kids or relatives kids in baths, in bathing suits with their legs spread open (it happens, they're kids...small kids) or in underroos I cringe. Not because I'm prude, but because of what others are saying...there are people out there that get a kick out of it. You think you know "that" someone, but what if they have a dark secret? Anyone of those people can save photos to their desktop or smartphone. Not to mention that your child/ren you post on Facebook don't have a choice or a voice to be on your Facebook in the way you think is cute.

My husband and I agree that people like to overshare and that somethings should just never be posted.
Quote:
I still believe that topless pictures of prepubescent girls should not be put on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
People are not going back through dozens of Facebook posts, generally speaking, to focus on one or two pics of YOUR child. So really it's just as instant as it's always been.

And again, to the child molester - if you have one in your family you have much a bigger issue than whether they've downloaded a photo.

By the time they are 16 it's unlikely that FB will still be the media of choice. People are really overblowing this.
I wouldn't be so sure. Besides, it really doesn't matter if YOU are looking at HIS kids or others'. The point is that ANYONE can access these pictures and do so all the time, worldwide. It's really not innocent at all if it's not in a photo album on your coffee table in the privacy of your own home.

But, then again, this is the era of "I'm so important, I have to "tweet" that I'm eating a hot dog while watching Lifetime." FB may very well be gone in 16 years, but the photos on there won't be. This is a fact.

Quote:
Most/many photographs on the internet today are tagged (labeled with the person's name).
These photographs show up on various types of searches when teens/adults apply for colleges, jobs, security clearances, loans and other things. Old and new friends, coworkers, neighbors, potential mates and in-laws may also check them out.

So photographs taken now (and tagged with names) may show up a dozen and more years later when the child is job hunting/applying to colleges/looking for a mate.

Will that be a problem? Maybe yes & maybe no, it just depends on your point of view.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Aren't you aware police monitor those types of searches on the internet?
Nope. This is a false sense of "protection." They don't monitor these types of searches as often as people think...hence the rampant cases of pedophile rings and child sex-trafficking. Also, it's not the police who investigate these sites, it's the FBI. Chat rooms help FBI find pedophiles - Technology & science - Security | NBC News

OP, there isn't anything more the grandmother can do. Her DIL isn't too bright and should really find a hobby that involves something other than posting nude photos of her child on the internet. In this day and age...that's just not smart.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

I wouldn't be so sure. Besides, it really doesn't matter if YOU are looking at HIS kids or others'. The point is that ANYONE can access these pictures and do so all the time, worldwide. It's really not innocent at all if it's not in a photo album on your coffee table in the privacy of your own home.

But, then again, this is the era of "I'm so important, I have to "tweet" that I'm eating a hot dog while watching Lifetime." FB may very well be gone in 16 years, but the photos on there won't be. This is a fact.

Exactly!

Nope. This is a false sense of "protection." They don't monitor these types of searches as often as people think...hence the rampant cases of pedophile rings and child sex-trafficking. Also, it's not the police who investigate these sites, it's the FBI. Chat rooms help FBI find pedophiles - Technology & science - Security | NBC News

OP, there isn't anything more the grandmother can do. Her DIL isn't too bright and should really find a hobby that involves something other than posting nude photos of her child on the internet. In this day and age...that's just not smart.
Again, so what? Sharing photos on Facebook has become the new coffee table or slideshow. That's just how people share now. There is nothing sexual about a kid in undies. Kid's chests are not sexual. Pedophiles will get of on all sorts of things, including your kid fully dressed eating an ice cream. They can also get off on kids just going about their own business IRL. Did you know it's not illegal to take photos of anyone in a public place and use them for your own purposes? Are you going keep them indoors at all times so no one sees your kids ever lest they have nefarious intentions?

And it's well documented that the people you have to worry about are those close to you who may actually touch your kids, which is something that bothers me a lot more than someone random possibly getting off on a photo. And that IS a likely scenario. One in 3 children are molested by close friends and family, not internet strangers.

There are millions and millions and millions of photos on FB. Privately sharing with family is very low risk.

Chat rooms are a different story. We aren't talking about children being groomed, we're talking about sharing photos with grandma. And they ARE NOT NUDE.

I wouldn't share a photo of my child picking their nose or pooping or something actually embarrassing. Now that's rude on behalf of said child.

As for people sharing their every move on Twitter, this is not the same thing at all and you know what, if that's what people want to do, why do you allow it to get your goat? Just don't follow them. Problem solved. Better than them calling me up endlessly boring me to death with their blow by blow exploits while I'm trying to cook dinner.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 PM

426 posts, read 670,650 times
Quote:
Again, so what? Sharing photos on Facebook has become the new coffee table or slideshow. That's just how people share now. There is nothing sexual about a kid in undies. Kid's chests are not sexual. Pedophiles will get of on all sorts of things, including your kid fully dressed eating an ice cream. They can also get off on kids just going about their own business IRL. Did you know it's not illegal to take photos of anyone in a public place and use them for your own purposes? Are you going keep them indoors at all times so no one sees your kids ever lest they have nefarious intentions?

And it's well documented that the people you have to worry about are those close to you who may actually touch your kids, which is something that bothers me a lot more than someone random possibly getting off on a photo. And that IS a likely scenario. One in 3 children are molested by close friends and family, not internet strangers.

There are millions and millions and millions of photos on FB. Privately sharing with family is very low risk.
I don't know who you have on facebook but most people have their family and close friends on their page, so these are the people that see the photos of the kids of question on a facebook page!!!!!

You are right, there is nothing sexual about a little girl or little boy at least in my eyes, and in yours, but you just don't know about the others out there. If I have these kinds of pictures in a photo album and chose to let grandma see it then so be it, but taking it to the internet can be too much risk imo!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,980,069 times
Quote:

Chat rooms are a different story. We aren't talking about children being groomed, we're talking about sharing photos with grandma. And they ARE NOT NUDE.

I wouldn't share a photo of my child picking their nose or pooping or something actually embarrassing. Now that's rude on behalf of said child.

As for people sharing their every move on Twitter, this is not the same thing at all and you know what, if that's what people want to do, why do you allow it to get your goat? Just don't follow them. Problem solved. Better than them calling me up endlessly boring me to death with their blow by blow exploits while I'm trying to cook dinner.
The fact that you had to go through all this to defend your position on posting nude photos of children on FB does not change my opinion. I agree with the grandmother. The mother posts nude photos as well as partially clothed ones...re-read the OP.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 AM

24,839 posts, read 29,973,692 times
Quote:
The fact that you had to go through all this to defend your position on posting nude photos of children on FB does not change my opinion. I agree with the grandmother. The mother posts nude photos as well as partially clothed ones...re-read the OP.
You and Finster are both entitled to your opinions. The way I read the OP, "no clothes, just panties" is the same thing. I don't see anything about nude photos.

I think the grandmother's worry is caused more by the fact that she doesn't understand how facebook works.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I have never once defended "posting nude photos of children". I've made it quite clear that I am talking about little girls wearing underwear specifically.

That's how I took the OP and that's what I've been "defending". Actually I don't think there's anything to defend. I don't see little kids' chests as sexual. If ther people do that's not my problem. Other people find feet in open toed shoes sexual, shall I make sure I don't post pics of my seven year old in sandals?

I'm not asking you to change your opinion. I'm allowed to express mine, that's what this forum's for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or