Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I don't have children yet, but my husband and I have actually talked about this in the past. When I see pictures of my friends kids or relatives kids in baths, in bathing suits with their legs spread open (it happens, they're kids...small kids) or in underroos I cringe. Not because I'm prude, but because of what others are saying...there are people out there that get a kick out of it. You think you know "that" someone, but what if they have a dark secret? Anyone of those people can save photos to their desktop or smartphone. Not to mention that your child/ren you post on Facebook don't have a choice or a voice to be on your Facebook in the way you think is cute.

My husband and I agree that people like to overshare and that somethings should just never be posted.
Kids have never ever had a voice (exceptions possible yes) in the way mom and dad choose to share photos of them when/while they are little kids.

Whether by whipping out the photo album at Thanksgiving or sharing the slide show at a party, this is nothing new and kids have always been shown off this way.

People are not going back through dozens of Facebook posts, generally speaking, to focus on one or two pics of YOUR child. So really it's just as instant as it's always been.

And again, to the child molester - if you have one in your family you have much a bigger issue than whether they've downloaded a photo.

By the time they are 16 it's unlikely that FB will still be the media of choice. People are really overblowing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
this came up at book club a couple of days ago ? One of the ladies who is a grandma said she had a problem with her daughter in law posting pictures of her little grand daughters with no clothes on and just panties on . She said that she told her daughter in law that perverts and child molestors can see those little girls and she did not think it was appropriate . Well the daughter in law said grandma was being silly and she only shared her pictures on fb with friends and family . Grandma still does not think it is right . I kind of see grandma's point . What do the rest of you say ?
If Grandma feels that the children are in danger then she needs to call child protective services. If she does not feel that the children are in danger then she needs to butt out.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
If she already talked to her and her DIL brushed her off what more can she do? Some people are just stubborn.
Yes, but which one?

The DIL who has decided that she can do as she pleases regarding her children?

Or grandma who is carrying on still now that she has said her piece to her DIL?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am a rather private person and ,yes, I would be very embarrassed if my co-workers, my boss, my professors, my neighbors and the general population saw pictures of me as a little girl just wearing underwear. (Or pictures of me today in just my underwear.) And there are many other people just like me. .......
I consider myself a very private person.

But I am a seventy-six year-old adult. What does a butt-nekkid photo take of me in early childhood have to do this this man today. Why the would I care if it was all over the internet?

It means NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jaded; 04-26-2014 at 01:16 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Most/many photographs on the internet today are tagged (labeled with the person's name).
These photographs show up on various types of searches when teens/adults apply for colleges, jobs, security clearances, loans and other things. Old and new friends, coworkers, neighbors, potential mates and in-laws may also check them out.

So photographs taken now (and tagged with names) may show up a dozen and more years later when the child is job hunting/applying to colleges/looking for a mate.

Will that be a problem? Maybe yes & maybe no, it just depends on your point of view.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-24-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
I am a rather private person and ,yes, I would be very embarrassed if my co-workers, my boss, my professors, my neighbors and the general population saw pictures of me as a little girl just wearing underwear. (Or pictures of me today in just my underwear.) And there are many other people just like me. Of course, I don't need to be embarrassed because my parents never took photographs like that.
It's fascinating that you feel that way. I don't even feel connected to pictures of myself as a child. They are like pictures of a totally different person because I've changed so much through the decades.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
While I kind of see grandma's point, she expressed her opinion, DIL reassured her that only people she knows can see the photos, they are not public, so nothing else needs to be said.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
While I kind of see grandma's point, she expressed her opinion, DIL reassured her that only people she knows can see the photos, they are not public, so nothing else needs to be said.
I wondered if that really is the case.

So I tried to check out if I really could find pictures like that.

My Oh My, within five minutes of searching on Facebook I found whole pages with dozens of photographs of young girls in underwear only and underwear and pulled up tops (showing their chests). All of the photographs listed the source, many with both first and last name (I'm not sure if those were the Mom's name or the child's name). Many of them had Facebook type labels like "See my first big girl panties!" or "I love taking bubble baths" or "We (sisters) like to dress alike".

I briefly glanced at a couple of the photographs (to try to see if they really came from Facebook) and then I left the site.

If an absolute, computer idiot like me could find Facebook pictures like that in less than five minutes, imagine what someone who is motivated and knows what they are doing can do?

Sort of scary.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
I wondered if that really is the case.

My Oh My, within five minutes of searching on Facebook I found whole pages with dozens of photographs of young girls in underwear only and underwear and pulled up tops (showing their chests). All of the photographs listed the source, many with both first and last name (I'm not sure if those were the Mom's name or the child's name). Many of them had Facebook type labels like "See my first big girl panties!" or "I love taking bubble baths" or "We (sisters) like to dress alike".

I briefly glanced at a couple of the photographs (to try to see if they really came from Facebook) and then I left the site.

If an absolute, computer idiot like me could find Facebook pictures like that in less than five minutes, imagine what someone who is motivated and knows what they are doing can do?

Sort of scary.
People can set their FB photos to public, friends, or even a certain group of friends. If you are inept like, say my MIL, you don't know how to change this setting and all of your posts are public. If the DIL said they weren't public, they probably weren't.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:

Sort of scary.
Aren't you aware police monitor those types of searches on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents