Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,190 times

Advertisements

It's been a year since we took custody of our grandkids, there ages are 6 and 10. I can not say it's been easy, it's been a challenge. I'm 66 and haven't had kids in the house for 30 years, so it's a culture shock to say the least. We really don't see an end in sight and have resolved that the kids will be with us until they go out on their own. Their parents got wrapped up in drugs, they haven't called the kids or even tried to visit them since we have taken custody. We are thinking about adopting the kids to be able to provide them with a stable home life, and me being a disabled vet, they will have healthcare provided for them through ChampVA, if anything happens to me in the next 12 years they will have their college education paid for,

I'm just wondering how many other grandparents are doing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I have a lot of admiration and respect for you. Ours are 1 and 5, and we take them overnight now and then, but they can wear us out after a couple of days, and we are a few years younger than you.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:10 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
It's been a year since we took custody of our grandkids, there ages are 6 and 10. I can not say it's been easy, it's been a challenge. I'm 66 and haven't had kids in the house for 30 years, so it's a culture shock to say the least. We really don't see an end in sight and have resolved that the kids will be with us until they go out on their own. Their parents got wrapped up in drugs, they haven't called the kids or even tried to visit them since we have taken custody. We are thinking about adopting the kids to be able to provide them with a stable home life, and me being a disabled vet, they will have healthcare provided for them through ChampVA, if anything happens to me in the next 12 years they will have their college education paid for,

Thank goodness they have you. I would adopt them to be able to protect them better & your VA benefits would be an added bonus.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 AM

154 posts, read 132,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I don't know if it counts, but I took care of 2 of my grandchildren, while their parents worked, from the time they were born till they went to school. They only stayed overnight a few times but I usually had them all day long. The boy is now 11 and he had an older brother who was 4 years older so I would take care of him as well. Basically I was the 3rd parent so I couldn't be the typical grandparent, anything I taught them, I would have to deal with myself.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 PM

924 posts, read 751,259 times
My mom could probably relate to this thread, as she helped with raising my daughter for quite a few years. (Mom never had custody though, and I definitely stayed a part of my daughter's life and did a lot of things with her)

Old 01-24-2017, 04:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,818 times
a lot we did a niece since two she is now 24 and grand daughter most her life but her mom just took her broke our hearts she is 9 you can get cash aid for your grand kids called foster care support we did for our neice no court i was making 80 grand a year but was available i had to show pay stubs the checks were for her for clothing food what ever was like 400 a month this was in 1998 you might not need it but it helps and her parents never got charged sued nothing still doing meth from 1991 till present

Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Just over two years ago my ex DIL sent the kids to my house so she could be with her soul mate who BTW is now serving 10 ears for stealing a car. Six months later their dad dropped out. The oldest graduated and moved out on his own last year and the other is living with me. Her other child is living with her father who has custody. My problem is she is still floating around out there somewhere and would just for spite try to prevent me from legal custody so me and my grandson are living in limbo. I cant afford attorney fees to take it straight on and there aren't any agencies that will help with legalities. I've been told put him in state custody and they will probably place him with you. Yeah.

It has been difficult but rewarding and expensive. It would devastate me and him if the courts forced him back to the unhappy unstable life with his mother. I believe it is becoming increasingly common for kids to be raised by their grandparents.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Guardianship thru the courts can be had. Seek counsel.

My grandparents had no problems taking me in...I learned the rules real quick. Be seen,not heard. My granddad often let me ramble though...It was our secret.
Loved them dearly. They were disabled so I learned how to attend to them...
It's what each brings into the family ...I brought them care...And they did the same.

My mom was always my beacon...And my grandparents regarded that.

I am not sure how you got this task, do know that for some it's a blessing and for others a curse. I'd like to think of it as another human requiring structure and love in a time where divorcing your kin is the in thing to do.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Guardianship thru the courts can be had. Seek counsel.
I have at the rate of 10,000.00. I have checked with agencies who do not follow up. They just want to give money or clothes if you are below poverty guidelines. Getting legal help, affordable, is a big problem in my area without first putting the child in state custody and hoping to not disrupt their life and eventually get them placed back with you.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:48 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My 8 year old granddaughter lives with her maternal grandparents during the week and my son and I have her almost every weekend. Plus we have her every other week during summer break, one week during Christmas break and most of Easter break. I find myself exhausted after a lengthy visit. God bless you for doing it with 2 grandchildren at 66. There is a special place in Heaven for people like you. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents