Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,537 times

Advertisements

I am worried about my grandchild. I think his parents are using marijuana around him even to the point of having it in the car when he is with them. Is it true in cases like this that he will go to a foster home and we cannot have access to him or get him? I heard that they would not allow a family member access to the child at all and he would stay in foster care? Very concerned about my grandson. We live in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedgranny View Post
I am worried about my grandchild. I think his parents are using marijuana around him even to the point of having it in the car when he is with them. Is it true in cases like this that he will go to a foster home and we cannot have access to him or get him? I heard that they would not allow a family member access to the child at all and he would stay in foster care? Very concerned about my grandson. We live in NC.
Unless your grand-child's parents are riding around with amounts large enough to indicate they are dealing you don't have to be so worried about foster care.

When a child is considered "endangered" the system usually looks for a stable relative to place the child with. Oh sure, the child may go into emergency foster care for 24-48 hours until a proper relative is located, but it sure would not be permanent okay?

Can you not confront your child and the spouse on this issue? Stand your ground and speak up for your grandchild!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
I am worried about my grandchild. I think his parents are using marijuana around him even to the point of having it in the car when he is with them.
You're not clear. Is this a worry of what might happen or have they been arrested? Or are you thinking of turning them in and you're trying to make sure you get access to the child if you do? Having personal use amount of marijuana in their possession is much different than using marijuana in front of him.

Quote:
Is it true in cases like this that he will go to a foster home and we cannot have access to him or get him? I heard that they would not allow a family member access to the child at all and he would stay in foster care? Very concerned about my grandson. We live in NC.
That doesn't make sense. The foster care system usually tries to place children with family members.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:24 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Smoking, whether it's marijuana or cigarettes, is bad for the baby's lungs.

Can you discuss this with the parents in a gentle way? Maybe get the parents to change their habits a bit for baby's sake?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Smoking, whether it's marijuana or cigarettes, is bad for the baby's lungs.

Can you discuss this with the parents in a gentle way? Maybe get the parents to change their habits a bit for baby's sake?
Most pot heads can't be reasoned with and look at it like it's medicine. They most likely think they're helping the baby.

I saw one guy on here claiming people are better drivers when they're high and that should be a reason for legalizing he. Sadly, it wasn't a troll.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Thank you all for replying. No they are not dealing. I honestly thought the use had stopped since becoming parents but it has come to my attention that is not the case. I am trying to decide what to do but yes I have confronted and all I got was No and denial and how crazy I am for thinking that of her or him. Which tells me it may be a bigger problem than I realized. I have watched for a while and all the signs are there. A concerned family member is the one that told me they were driving while impaired from the drug and while my grandson was with them then continued to tell me about their friend that was in a similar situation and none of the family was allowed to have contact with that child nor could they get custody. Neither parent has been caught except the Father but that was a couple of years before my grandson was even born. Anyway when the family member told me this my world fell apart and I don't know what to do but if they are denying it is my greatest fear of what will happen to my grandson but also my child.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 AM

Oh they do smoke cigarettes and I already fuss at them about that. My grandson has had tubes put in his ears and has allergies. The family member also told me that they go to the bedroom to smoke it without my grandson in there but he still goes in there to play in that same room and he also sleeps in that same room with them he has a toddler bed in there. The same family member brought him to me last night because they were at their house and they were getting ready to leave the mother was also leaving but went outside with my grandson smoked marijuana and was going to take him with her but the family member told her they were coming to my house and talked her into letting them bring my grandson to me instead of her taking him.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I suggest you talk with an attorney in N.C. rather than trying to get legal advice from strangers on the internet. Each case is different and if you complain to somebody like DFACS the child might be taken away from them and I doubt you would be allowed to see him again once the parents get him back. i certainly don't advocate smoking of anything around children but if every adult who smoked pot around their children was arrested and lost their kids we would have a big bunch of parentless kids around.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Oh they do smoke cigarettes and I already fuss at them about that. My grandson has had tubes put in his ears and has allergies. The family member also told me that they go to the bedroom to smoke it without my grandson in there but he still goes in there to play in that same room and he also sleeps in that same room with them he has a toddler bed in there. The same family member brought him to me last night because they were at their house and they were getting ready to leave the mother was also leaving but went outside with my grandson smoked marijuana and was going to take him with her but the family member told her they were coming to my house and talked her into letting them bring my grandson to me instead of her taking him.

And the parents have no idea that their behavior is harming the baby's health.

It's a sad story to hear.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default How about trying to suggest harm reduction?

Quote:

We all know how addictive tobacco can be, and how second hand tobacco smoke is also damaging. How about suggesting that they try vaporizer pens that contain nicotine? That would eliminate that threat to their child. It would be much easier for them to use a substitute like vaporizing than to quit.

In regard to their marijuana smoking, same thing. There are vaporizers that use liquid extracts and also those that use the dry flowers and leaves. Marijuana is no more addicting than caffeine, so if they continue to use it in the same space as their child, it is because they don't see or aren't acknowledging the issue for a child with breathing problems, not because they have to as a result of addiction.

You can't dictate their lives, and you really don't want to create a situation where the child has to grow up without their parents, which the child will resent you for when they get older, but what you might be able to do is suggest they mitigate the harm they may be doing by using a safer approach.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by Beaconowner; 05-29-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents