U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,356,708 times

Advertisements

The only reason I could see having a grandma baby shower is if the baby and its mom were planning on living with the grandma or if grandma is going to be the main caregiver. In this day and age there are a lot of grandparents who are raising their grandkids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:26 AM

835 posts, read 853,848 times
When I went to my best friend's baby shower a few months ago, I thought it was a nice touch that next to her seat was the 'grandmas-to-be'. They each were sort of like the guest of honor on both sides of the mom-to-be.

The center of attention wasn't focused on just them, but they were certainly included a large deal, helping her open gifts, holding gifts while the mom-to-be went for more, etc. I thought it was nice. I'm not sure how I would feel about grandma-to-be wearing the sash and stealing the thunder though lol

Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM

37,903 posts, read 14,771,013 times
I think it's a great idea. I think I'll throw one for a friend of mine. She is so excited about her coming grandbaby and we all love an excuse to get together for afternoon tea. Would be perfect.

As to it being a gift grab, well so be it. There are a lot of things that baby needs and we're all well able to afford a baby gift. Most of us would give one anyway. This way we get to do it together too. What fun.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-30-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,115,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting article.

Been to a few baby showers for the mother at work but never heard about a grandma shower before.

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/gr...164324128.html

Many grandparents willingly help take care of their grandchildren....and they need a set of things for their home as well. 20 years ago my mother didn't have a shower when her granddaughter was born, but her best friend gifted her a carseat and a few office mates brought her cute baby towels and such to celebrate. All things that came in handy when the kiddo was over there.

(Funny, they are close to this day....said grandchild is home after her first year at college, and spending 2 weeks with grandma still...which they are both enjoying greatly.)

Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,950,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As to it being a gift grab, well so be it. There are a lot of things that baby needs and we're all well able to afford a baby gift. Most of us would give one anyway. This way we get to do it together too. What fun.
Except that the presents are not for the grandma...
Giving her a gift for the baby, in private, if you don't know the parents or live far from them is one thing, she can then give those gifts to the parents at their baby shower or whenever she sees them. But throwing a party for that... honestly...
Having a little get together just for fun is one thing, but giving presents then is another thing..

Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,115,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Except that the presents are not for the grandma...
Giving her a gift for the baby, in private, if you don't know the parents or live far from them is one thing, she can then give those gifts to the parents at their baby shower or whenever she sees them. But throwing a party for that... honestly...
Having a little get together just for fun is one thing, but giving presents then is another thing..
If you don't want to give a present...then don't. It's really not that hard.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:12 PM

86,894 posts, read 102,330,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Many grandparents willingly help take care of their grandchildren....and they need a set of things for their home as well. 20 years ago my mother didn't have a shower when her granddaughter was born, but her best friend gifted her a carseat and a few office mates brought her cute baby towels and such to celebrate. All things that came in handy when the kiddo was over there.

(Funny, they are close to this day....said grandchild is home after her first year at college, and spending 2 weeks with grandma still...which they are both enjoying greatly.)
True that, but I'm not sure why grandma's friends/family should be footing the bill for all the equipment. A car seat can cost $100+ these days; I don't think I'd ask my friends to pay for that. I can see taking a friend out to lunch, or having a tea party or such to celebrate, but I'd draw the line there myself. OTOH, if someone wants to give a gift, who am I to say they shouldn't? I do know a lot of grandmas pass stuff around to their friends for visiting grandchildren.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,201,873 times
A cash grab and disgusting. I hate showers to begin with and only attend coed (women only to me are sexist and demeaning)but a grandma one would say "gimme". No thanks I'll pass.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:57 PM

5,599 posts, read 4,908,606 times
If grandma needs some baby items because she is going to be taking care of the baby, she should either buy them herself, or have the parents provide it.

My son and daughter in law gave me some "duplicates" of gifts they got from their baby shower, bought the first car seat and swing, and I took care of the rest. No way would I expect my friends to spend their money on gifts for a grandchild, unless they wanted to. It doesn't seem right to have a shower where gifts are expected.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:55 PM

701 posts, read 792,280 times
I would not feel comfortable with this. It feels like a gift grab to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents