Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,411,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
How about a daddy shower? A siblings shower? Why not an auntie-to-be shower?
It's getting ridiculous... Anything to make money!
Actually it's anything to say "Look at me" "I'm special". I would venture to guess that the first generation raised on praise and told how special they are from the womb is now becoming grandparents.

I have never heard of a grandma shower and I hope I never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 09:29 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually it's anything to say "Look at me" "I'm special". I would venture to guess that the first generation raised on praise and told how special they are from the womb is now becoming grandparents.

I have never heard of a grandma shower and I hope I never do.
Oh, come on, Ivory! You're obviously a Boomer; I'm a Boomer; there are many Boomers on this thread and none of us have ever heard of this. I'd be willing to bet it's the party industry folks who are pushing this. The linked article itself says these showers aren't real popular among moms themselves.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Heck, I wasn't raised on praise and told how special I was. Nobody I knew was either.

That is the new generation of 20somethings. They can't possibly be grandparents yet.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:12 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,891,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's so strange to hear. We never said it about older generations. We never felt we "deserved" any special attention or glory. We worked for our place in the world. We didn't resent older people. I don't ever recall hearing anyone say anything like this in my life until within the past 10 years. What the heck do you think your generation deserves?
I, too, am tired ofnthe relentless selfishness and arrogance of Boomers. I don't think VIBE is demanding to take center stage, but that she (and me, and so many others) are tired of Boomers constant "me! me! me!" attitude, the trashing of all younger generations, the waxing of how much better their childhood was, etc. Basically, demandig to stay in center stage. Hopefully, this grandma shower thing doesn't take off, but it would line up with more and more people making the birth of a child about the grandparents and not the start of a new family.

Obviously, these are generalizations; I know of many beautiful, selfless Boomers.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:52 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I, too, am tired ofnthe relentless selfishness and arrogance of Boomers. I don't think VIBE is demanding to take center stage, but that she (and me, and so many others) are tired of Boomers constant "me! me! me!" attitude, the trashing of all younger generations, the waxing of how much better their childhood was, etc. Basically, demandig to stay in center stage. Hopefully, this grandma shower thing doesn't take off, but it would line up with more and more people making the birth of a child about the grandparents and not the start of a new family.

Obviously, these are generalizations; I know of many beautiful, selfless Boomers.
What the hey? No one participating on this thread has ever heard of these "Grandma showers"! Many of us Boomers have actively denounced them, for Pity's sake!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,670,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Basically, demandig to stay in center stage.
Why do you feel overshadowed by Boomers? Why can't you take center stage on your own without needing others to step down for you?

I have never heard younger generations feel this way in the past. Generations older than boomers used to tell Boomers their childhoods were better, harder, etc. That didn't make Boomers resent them and accuse them of demanding to stay center stage. There's something unhealthy about the way today's younger generation views their place. They seem resentful and insecure compared to when previous generations were their age.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:54 PM

9,905 posts, read 7,600,690 times
I've got a friend that will hold a party for any reason. Please don't let her know about this. Her kids keep popping out babies.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 AM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Boomer here and I have never heard of a Grandma Baby Shower. The very idea is ridiculous to me.

Besides that, the last thing I want to deal with at my age (52) after raising four kids, is another house full of Fisher Price junk. I mean, I have some toys and books and art supplies in a big closet, for the grandbabies, but that's IT. I love being a grandmother but dang.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 AM

18,439 posts, read 18,572,333 times
Oh god no not for grannys too... Look at me type of do.... weve never been into baby showers in Scotland.. the first Id heard of one was back in the late 50s when my cousins wife came back from the US to have her baby here.. she showed us all her gifts from the shower.. and even as a little girl I thought... "jeez these people have so much money" hahaha. I really did... the only parties we ever had was New Year, Xmas and Brithdays... Oh what we did have though quite similar was a Show of Presents before a wedding.. Id forgotten about that .. but a Grannys shower...give me a break..its like the congrats cards now out for this too.. a load of nonsense... grannys arent the star attraction.. the baby is surely.. This also reminded me of a wedding I was at years ago and durinng the speeches someone butted in and said it was the mother of the grooms birthday and presented her wish a big bunch of flowers..... there are times others should take a back seat.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Oh god no not for grannys too... Look at me type of do.... weve never been into baby showers in Scotland.. the first Id heard of one was back in the late 50s when my cousins wife came back from the US to have her baby here.. she showed us all her gifts from the shower.. and even as a little girl I thought... "jeez these people have so much money" hahaha. I really did... the only parties we ever had was New Year, Xmas and Brithdays... Oh what we did have though quite similar was a Show of Presents before a wedding.. Id forgotten about that .. but a Grannys shower...give me a break..its like the congrats cards now out for this too.. a load of nonsense... grannys arent the star attraction.. the baby is surely.. This also reminded me of a wedding I was at years ago and durinng the speeches someone butted in and said it was the mother of the grooms birthday and presented her wish a big bunch of flowers..... there are times others should take a back seat.
You hit the nail on the head. Maybe it's just me, but I think that weddings should be about the bride and groom, showers should be about the parents, birthdays should be about the birthday boy/girl, etc. I also think that most gift giving occasions today are almost obscene in their over the top scope. But hey, what does this old lady know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents