Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times

Advertisements

When my mother was alive, she was called "Grandma". But my father never wanted to be called "Grandpa". He said it made him feel old. So he came up with "Poppy" and all the grandkids call him that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
When my oldest was little we called my mother Grandma. As he began talking he kept calling her Nana and it took. She swears it was because she always had and offered him bananas at her house! My Dad is Papa.
My favorite has always been my MIL and FIL who are Grammy and Grandaddy. When the kids were little it always came out Gammy and GanDaddy. So cute.
My husband calls his grandmother Big Momma. God forbid!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM

513 posts, read 896,972 times
I know that in Scottish gaelic, grandmother is Seanmhair but I don't know how to pronounce it. I am a soon to be grandmother and want to use the name but am not sure how to properly prounounce it. Can anyone help Please.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
I have a Friend thats mother is Scottish I will get in touch with her and see if she can tell me.
It maybe tomorrow evening but I will get back with you.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
My older daughter, now almost 6, was unable to say grandma correctlywhen she was learning to talk. It came out as Wanna. So we started calling the grandmas Wanna. To differentiate them, one became Wanna Jo and one became Wanna Jean. Any other ladies of a grandmotherly age in their lives are Wanna Bea .

Unfortunately, both my DH's dad and my dad died prior to our children entering our lives. In keeping with the name Wanna, we refer to the grandpas as Wampa Jim and Wampa Doug.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Smile *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
I'm hoping to hear some great names for grand-parents, and why they've gotten nick-names or alternative names for grand-mother or grand-father.
Well when I was quite little I called them these names

Grandma: BUMA (BUM AH)
Grandpa: BUMPA (BUMP PAH)

When I got OLDER I started calling them these

Grandma: GUAM (Sometimes Guama)
Grandpa: GUAMP

Ah man!!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM

160 posts, read 1,162,004 times
I have always been "Mom" Mommy"...... so when grandson calls out "Mom", we both answer and then he has to decide---no not that mommy, that mommy..... lol I remember a while back when my son (Uncle Robbie) was having a discussion with grandson and trying to explain, "no, that's MY mom. My sister is your mom and that is her mom too.....GS said, NO, that's MY mom.....they went back and forth a few times, until GS said with a sigh, "OK, Well, she is just ALL our mom!!.
He calls the other grandmother "mom" too. LOL
Have no idea why he stuck with Mom for all three of us...

Grandpa was "papa" for a long time, but now he is Grandpa.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
I am of Swedish extraction on my father's side. I called my fathers parents Far-Mor and Far Far. Father's mother, father's father, respectively.

My grandmother on my mother's side was Scotch Irish she was dead before I was born. My maternal grandfather wanted to be called "Bub". He was also Scotch Irish and English.

I have a granddaughter. I am also Bub. My wife is Nana.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Papa and Granny. The inlaws are called Granddad and Grandma, so they can easily be differentiated.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
My two-year-old grandson has trouble pronouncing his "N's". He pronounces them as "D's". For example, "No" is "Do". His "nose" is a "dose". I'm "Nanny", but he pronounces it, "Daddy". He'll be running through the house yelling, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" and it's ME he is calling, not his father. He still calls his father "DaDa". And he calls his great-grandmother (Nana) "DaDa". It is very confusing. My daughter, his mother, says, "Won't it be funny if he's still calling you "Daddy" when he's 30?"

My DH (his grandfather) is "Pappy". He has no trouble with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents