U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 04:22 PM

57 posts, read 45,235 times

Advertisements

My dad put his hands on my son when he 3. I have never spoken to him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:26 AM

8,596 posts, read 5,394,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
My dad put his hands on my son when he 3. I have never spoken to him again.
Was your son traumatized and hurt that bad, that you cant ever forgive your father. Your son will grow up and be a fine young man and most likely wont remember any of it and probably connect with his grandfather on his own at some point in his life. I'M NOT CONDONING what your father did, but just asking was it so bad that you could never forgive him or speak to him again before he leaves this world.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
So are you ok with your child calling the police on you because she feels abused?
Not what I said in my post - you might need to re-read it. However if I have broken any laws then I should certainly expect someone to inform the authorities. I see no reason why they should not.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:36 AM

141 posts, read 119,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Not what I said in my post - you might need to re-read it. However if I have broken any laws then I should certainly expect someone to inform the authorities. I see no reason why they should not.
Sure you did. You put your kid in time out, he is traumatized now and should be removed from your household.

Everybody makes parenting choices. Some of them aren't popular at all with the children. Should spanked children cry abuse?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Sure you did.
No. I did not. And it is an unusual decision to try and tell me what my own words were - or meant. My post again - the actual words not the one you changed it into - was saying that if anyone - relative or not - perpetuate physical violence on my children - then they would be receiving a police visit and a criminal record.

Not sure how you are changing any of that into what you are now pretending I said.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,797,908 times
i am going to go against the grain and say i see nothing wrong with the girl sitting in her bra in front of the camera because maybe there was a good reason,or maybe she did not think about it.

Did she have pants on?

Was it a hot day?

Halter and crop tops could be mistaken for bras.

Also,how was Grandpa able to see her in her bra in the first place?

Was she walking in the kitchen like that?

A bigger issue...Did he just walk in her room? THat IS creepy!!!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM

57 posts, read 45,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Was your son traumatized and hurt that bad, that you cant ever forgive your father. Your son will grow up and be a fine young man and most likely wont remember any of it and probably connect with his grandfather on his own at some point in his life. I'M NOT CONDONING what your father did, but just asking was it so bad that you could never forgive him or speak to him again before he leaves this world.
My son was not traumatized by what my dad did to him he was so young. My dad was very abusive to me growing up. I still wanted to give him the benefite of the doubt that change was possible. I wanted my son to have his grampa growing up. I laid down expectaitions of how my son would be diciplined because he is my son and hitting will not be tolerated. 3 was the age he started on me too and I know what this one time would have led to for my son. I have forgivin my father simply for my peace, but will never give him another chance. He didn't deserve the first one.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:07 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,179,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doz884 View Post
My 17 year old daughter was just in bra, sitting on the computer and being on camera with a boy. I wasnt at home. When I entered the house, I heard yelling and went to her room, my father was lecturing her. I stepped in and told him that I will take care of the situation and told him to leave the room. Now, my father is that type of a guy who always was so traditional and old school, but its not an excuse for what he did. Anyway, he didnt listen to me and didnt leave her room when I asked him to do so, but he kept scolding her, so she mouthed off to him and disrespected him, then he took out his belt and hit her legs and slapped her cheek. I was shocked, but pushed my father out of the room and got back, trying to calm her down, but she just kept crying. Eventually she stopped but she was just laying in her room, didnt even want to eat or drink water and she usually loves eating with me.
Im out of mind, I am so mad at him, but I dont know what to do and how to solve this problem. He is not living with us, neither does her mother. She doesnt know what happend. Should I even tell her? Im the legal guardian of my daughter. I dont even know how to address the camera problem, should I even punish her after this? I dont support corporal punishment, I am at my wits end with my father. What should I do?
Your father is an ahole - he went hysterical and lost it. Thinks its ok to beat up people weaker than him.

Your daughter, at 17, is exploring her sexuality. That's not a big surprise for a 17 year old for anyone who is actually a human being.

You need to have a discussion with her about her sexual feelings, about the temporariness of such relationships at this age but the possible permanence of consequences, about the dangers to her when there are frame-grabbing apps and screenshots and stuff and splitters - this could be going anywhere or even saved and distributed. She probably now feels bad about feelings that are entirely natural, and unsafe from violence in the place where she lives.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 AM

750 posts, read 489,187 times
Why is everyone saying the GF should not have disciplined the daughter?

I have def been disciplined by my grandparents on more than one occasion.

Young kids need to learn respect.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:08 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,360,192 times
It's so bizarre that if a man slaps his wife and hits her with a belt, it's domestic abuse and he can go to jail, but if she's a 17-year-old child it's totally fine and nobody's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or