U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,462 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was wanting some opinions on this matter. I am a (almost) 24 year old and was raised by a single mum. I have never met my "Father" (and don't want to) or any of his family. My mother was going to send a letter to his mother when I was a child to inform her that I existed, but this never happened. I heard about 5 years ago that his father had died and it made me feel a bit strange that a relative of mine had died without knowing about me. So here's the big question...

Should I send a letter to my (technically) grandmother?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 PM

13,140 posts, read 20,709,679 times
Since you don't want to meet your father, I don't think you should contact your grandmother. I would certainly want to know if I had an unknown grandchild, but if that grandchild wanted nothing to do with my child, than I would see no point in forming a relationship with him/her.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:45 PM

21,590 posts, read 14,193,916 times
You need to ask why you would do this. Are you interested in your paternal family? But just not interested in your dad?

Does your grandmother know you exist?

Why don't you sit down with a counselor or trusted friend and hash out what you hope to accomplish by sending a letter to your grandmother. Imagine the possible consequences. Imagine the possible good things that might come of it. Think it over thoroughly, and then decide what you want to do.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,462 times
Thanks for the replies. I sent her a letter and she wants to meet.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 AM

12,879 posts, read 15,357,571 times
Hope it all turned out good....hope your family on your fathers side proved to be good people.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:27 PM

769 posts, read 623,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdspal View Post
Hi. I was wanting some opinions on this matter. I am a (almost) 24 year old and was raised by a single mum. I have never met my "Father" (and don't want to) or any of his family. My mother was going to send a letter to his mother when I was a child to inform her that I existed, but this never happened. I heard about 5 years ago that his father had died and it made me feel a bit strange that a relative of mine had died without knowing about me. So here's the big question...

Should I send a letter to my (technically) grandmother?

Thanks

You should meet your dad you've never met first .. at least hear his side of the story, not just your mothers side..

his version of how things went down may be a little different than your mother led you to believe ...

Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,575,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdspal View Post
Thanks for the replies. I sent her a letter and she wants to meet.
OP How did it go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or