Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:09 PM

16 posts, read 34,682 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been together for 16 years, married for 4 years. We now have 2 boys ages 3 and 1. My Mother in-law lives in GA with her husband. My husbands brother and his family also live there. My Father in-law lives in TN as do we currently. We do not see them often, either of them - the ones out of state or the ones across town), but just a few times a year for birthdays and holidays. My husband is always the one calling them to see how things are going, or to see about holiday plans.

When the MIL visits (or we visit her) she is constantly asking when she can get the boys for a week. She does this in front of the kids and it really isn't an option - call me over protective, but they haven't proven to me that they are responsible enough for this at all. No baby proofing, eat junk food, knives, guns, antiques laying around, pool, no safety anything. My husband says that she just asks because she thinks that what she is supposed to do, but in reality she couldn't handle one, let alone both of the boys - the 1 year old is still nursing, so definitely not an option.

Here is the problem - we are wanting to move across country. I am returning to the work force soon (lots of applications in) and the majority of the jobs are out west. Which is great for us, because that is where we want to live - have wanted to for years. This is not a surprise to anyone, we have been talking about it since before our oldest was born. Well, the in-laws are pissed, to say the least. My MIL told my son that if we move, "then Nana won't see him anymore", she sent her husband to tell my husband that "if we go through with this selfish move then it will kill his mother", and that we don't have a clue about what it takes to take care of a family.

Any job that I am able to get will improve our financial status tremendously. We currently rent a tiny little place and barely scrape by with only what my husband makes. He is feeling an incredible amount of guilt about the entire situation. My family, which live in the town we are in, think the move would be great for us. They are sad to see us go, but know that it is just a plane ride away and that we must do what is best for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Your obligation is to your immediate family, not your extended family. It is best for your immediate family to move. Repeat as often as necessary, and find a new home with a guest room.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Your obligation is to your immediate family, not your extended family. It is best for your immediate family to move. Repeat as often as necessary, and find a new home with a guest room.
I agree. Do what is best for your immediate family.

Heck, you don't even need a guest room (if you can't afford one). If your in-laws want to visit as a couple they will rent a hotel room and if one visits separately she will be so happy to spend time with you that she will sleep on an air mattress on the living room floor (too tall to sleep on your love seat).(I'm a grandma who is obviously speaking from real life experience).

Old 04-14-2016, 06:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Do what you want/need to do for your immediate family. The MIL sounds like a drama queen who will get over it quickly and be the first to visit. Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
I really don't understand the mindset of some people.

I'm a mom and grandma. If one of my kids was moving out of state I'm sure I would cry a bit, but in no way would I try to hold them back or talk them out of it.
I want what's best for my kids and if moving is it, then that's what they have to do.

and that's what you should do OP. Your first responsibility is to your spouse and kids.

Tell gram to get a computer and teach her how to skype or whatever the hell they use nowadays.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I really don't understand the mindset of some people.

I'm a mom and grandma. If one of my kids was moving out of state I'm sure I would cry a bit, but in no way would I try to hold them back or talk them out of it.
I want what's best for my kids and if moving is it, then that's what they have to do.

and that's what you should do OP. Your first responsibility is to your spouse and kids.

Tell gram to get a computer and teach her how to skype or whatever the hell they use nowadays.
I agree. We're lucky enough to have our grandkids just 25 miles away, and see them frequently. If they decided to move to another state we'd miss them badly, but we realize that they have to live their own lives and do what's best for their family.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Who cares what they think? They arent paying your bills, they arent taking care of your family. You are.

You are saying its a problem. Its only a problem if you let it be one.

Do what you need to do to improve your family's life.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Have these people never heard of an "aeroplane?"

Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
We were in a similar situation 6 years ago. My IL's retired to our town and had a house built a couple of miles away. They didn't choose our area just because we were here. DH's brother (though they didn't have any kids at that time) lives in the same area and they also did it for tax reasons.

We needed to relocate back to our previous area for the financial stability of our family. My MIL was very upset and my SIL (BIL's wife) was also upset (for other reasons). DH moved 6 months ahead of us as he began working his new job 6 hours away. It was a difficult 6 months especially for me as I was taking care of our two toddlers (12 months and 2 years old) plus working a full time job and showing the house as we had it on the market to sell all without much help from the family that was here. DH came back on the weekends for a day and half.

I've never felt guilty about it. We did what we had to do and that's what you're doing. Don't feel guilty. You're taking care of your family and that's the most important thing. If they don't visit because they are mad that's on them not you.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
If you get jobs in another place, then go. Your duty is to your immediate family, as others have posted. Listen to Germaine. She is almost always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents