Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,737,979 times

Advertisements

I stay at a hotel and visit no longer than 3 days at a time.

Fish, and guests, start to smell after 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:38 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,837,775 times
2-5 days depending on accommodations and how well you get along...oh and how much there is to do. I know some cultures do really extended visits

Old 06-22-2016, 05:20 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,656,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I stay at a hotel and visit no longer than 3 days at a time.

Fish, and guests, start to smell after 3 days.
You are 100% correct, I was just going to post this same thing.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
I guess that I am surprised at how many grandparents only visit their children and grandchildren for three days.

By the time that I (and, I assume many other people) drive to the airport, wait through an hour (or hours) of security check-ins, catch a flight, have an hour or two lay-over in another city, catch another flight, maybe wait for luggage, rent a car and drive from the airport, most or all of the day is over. Frankly, I am exhausted and if I had to do all of that in reverse just three days later I would need a week or so just to recover from the traveling.

Normally, it takes me a year, or more, to save up enough money (through odd jobs, etc.) just to pay for my airplane ticket so it seems odd to only stay three days (and not a full week). My son & DIL ask me to stay a week or ten days. If they asked me to stay for three days I would comply but probably be disappointed as I only get to see my grandchildren once or twice a year).

But, of course, every family is different. If three days works for you, then great.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-22-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 09:20 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,737,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I guess that I am surprised at how many grandparents only visit their children and grandchildren for three days. By the time that I (and, I assume many other people) drive to the airport, wait through an hour (or hours) of security check-ins, catch a flight, have an hour or two lay-over in another city, catch another flight, maybe wait for luggage, rent a car and drive from the airport, most or all of the day is over. Frankly, I am exhausted and if I had to do all of that in reverse just three days later I would need a week or so just to recover from the traveling.

Normally, it takes me a year, or more, to save up enough money (through odd jobs, etc.) just to pay for my airplane ticket so it seems odd to only stay three days (and not a full week).

But, of course, every family is different. If three days works for you, then great.
I never check luggage (it's only 3 days - everything I need can be taken in a backpack!). I take a direct flight, so no layovers. I take a train or a taxi from the airport. I try to catch an early flight. My longest security wait has been about 10 minutes (most recent flight was a few weeks ago). I get to my destination early afternoon and have the afternoon and evening.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:44 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,013,273 times
I live less than 4 miles from my parents and they never stay more than an hour. But we do activities all the time as a family, including my brother, uncle and their families. Sunday we met at a park for dinner and fishing.

My ex in laws lived 10 hours away. An hour with them once a year was way to much time. Awful people which clearly explains why my ex is bat crap crazy.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 AM

50,131 posts, read 63,543,536 times
We only visit for a weekend, or a week, if they live far away. I would say a lot depends upon the set up at the kid's houses.

Let's say we have our own room and private bath and TV. In that case, we would feel alright staying a week or two. while we were there we would not expect to be entertained and would help with meals and pick up after ourselves.

Truthfully, it is hard to get comfortable at our kids homes because of bad mattresses and uncomfortable furniture, so we don't stay long. My son in law keeps suggesting that if they buy a place in FL, DH and I should live down there and take care of everything while they aren't there, but I can't really see this working out long term because we like our space and privacy. We love our kids, but not a steady diet of them.

The closest thing we have going is my SIL and BIL who come for two weeks sometimes. After that we are glad for them to leave, even though we truly enjoy having them. We have private quarters for them, and they do not require entertainment. I like having someone new to cook for and SIL always help clean up in the kitchen. The worst thing about it is that they stay up late, and get up late...the opposite of us.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,026,928 times
Quote:
I guess that I am surprised at how many grandparents only visit their children and grandchildren for three days.

By the time that I (and, I assume many other people) drive to the airport, wait through an hour (or hours) of security check-ins, catch a flight, have an hour or two lay-over in another city, catch another flight, maybe wait for luggage, rent a car and drive from the airport, most or all of the day is over. Frankly, I am exhausted and if I had to do all of that in reverse just three days later I would need a week or so just to recover from the traveling.

Normally, it takes me a year, or more, to save up enough money (through odd jobs, etc.) just to pay for my airplane ticket so it seems odd to only stay three days (and not a full week). My son & DIL ask me to stay a week or ten days. If they asked me to stay for three days I would comply but probably be disappointed as I only get to see my grandchildren once or twice a year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I never check luggage (it's only 3 days - everything I need can be taken in a backpack!). I take a direct flight, so no layovers. I take a train or a taxi from the airport. I try to catch an early flight. My longest security wait has been about 10 minutes (most recent flight was a few weeks ago). I get to my destination early afternoon and have the afternoon and evening.
On my last trip from California to Wisconsin I left my son's house at 7 AM and due to a flight cancellation (which resulted in a long wait, a horrible connection & long layover) I arrived home at 12:30 AM the next day.

On several occasions I have had to stand and wait in security lines for over an hour (absolutely horrible for an older woman with severe rheumatoid arthritis), but these were for 7 to 9 AM flights. I suppose that if I took a 5:30 AM flight it might be different.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,927,744 times
Quote:

I think it all depends on the distance. If you have to fly across the country then staying a week is ok but if you live within driving distance 3 days is more than enough.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,779,931 times
My sister's inlaws seem to be the perfect guests. They live 12 hours away, but they're retired and enjoy the journey almost as much as the destination, so they make the drive in two days. They spend five days visiting my sister and BIL, but they stay at a motel. They plan a couple of things to do as a couple so that my sister doesn't feel like she has to keep them entertained the whole time they're visiting. They eat dinner with my sister and BIL but take care of their other meals on their own. All my sister really has to do to get ready for a visit is clean the house.

I think if space is limited and your visit displaces a kid or two from their bedroom, that's a factor in how long you should stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents