Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,850 times

Advertisements

Our daughter, her husband, and baby girl are moving in with us between a bachelor's degree and grad school. We have a wonderful relationship with all of them, and want to keep it that way.

I am looking for websites about 3 generation households, and would welcome advice from those who "have been there" on how to make this work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
My wife and I, along with our two children a boy and a girl share a Mother/Daughter home with my parents. Here's what our situation was and is like.

The house is now only used as a summer home but it was our permanant home for about five years. My parents did not reside there all year long but they spent the magority of their time there. I would say about eight mounths a year.

The house was originally a two bedroom cape and the previous owner put an addition on it. The addition was a complete seperate two bedrooms/Kitchen/Bathrooms, ect.. with a seperate entrance. The only thing we really had to share was the washer and dryer in the garage.

The living arraingment worked out great. We split the bills. My parents are very easy to get along with. We had dinners together probably three times a week or more. We took my Mom shopping my dad loved that. When we wanted to go out my parents watched the kids. It was and still is great. Only now we only reside together a few months a year. Were basicly the type of people that like to share time together anyway. They get to spend time around their grandchildren and we have them right there to help advise us.

I think a lot more people are going to be living under these same circumstances with the way the economy is looking. It's a win win situation as long as privacy and mutual respect and also tolerance are there.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Default Rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterMomGrandma View Post
Our daughter, her husband, and baby girl are moving in with us between a bachelor's degree and grad school. We have a wonderful relationship with all of them, and want to keep it that way.

I am looking for websites about 3 generation households, and would welcome advice from those who "have been there" on how to make this work.

Thanks!

Set up household rules before anyone moves in. Set up how much they are going to contribute to the household before anyone moves in.
Show them respect and expect it from them.

Never make them feel like moochers(unless they become that way)
Don't let them take advantage of you.

If that isn't hard enough.....and even if you don't mean to do this......she's the mom.....he's the dad. You're Grandparent.....no parenting advise allowed unless asked.

I truly hopes it all works out. Make it fun!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
set up guidelines and expectations befroe hand. unless you want to, dont become the live in nany for them.

while its great having all kinds of family living with you, you must first set the parameters of the relationship.

always be respectful.

dont be nosey.

leave time for yourself.

extended family homes are very common, and very beneficial. but the climate can turn ugly if the rules and expecatations are not set in advance.

who will, clean? what about having guests over? will they leave the baby with you always? what is the parking situation like? sleeping habits? eatign habits. all these are things to consider when living with a larger group of people.

best advice tho, let your daughter live her own life, even tho she is sharing a home with you. mothers tend to "kno best", but it can really annoy her or the son in law if grams is always butting in.

give eachother space and this will probably be the best time of your life. enjoy eachother and be respectful of eachother.

good luck. keep us updated.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterMomGrandma View Post

Thanks!

As long as everyone gets along, and respect one another's boundaries cool
But in most cases, it's a zoo
unless of case you have separate quarters MIL and husbands tend to be competitive at times
my $.02 cents

Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
[quote=captnemo62;4202679]

If that isn't hard enough.....and even if you don't mean to do this......she's the mom.....he's the dad. You're Grandparent.....no parenting advise allowed unless asked.

quote]

CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL... that also means don't go and give the little one hugs and sad faces if they ARE scolded by the parents. Just stay out of it completely. If they are punished, then that is up to the parents... NOW, if they are in YOUR house- and they break YOUR rule... then go for it and punish them... I believe it takes a village- as long as the villagers aren't stepping on eachother's toes... I lived with my parents while my house was being built- the new owners of my old house wanted to move in ASAP and that left us in limbo for about 6 months... it is workable- life will be a bit odd for BOTH of you- but you will get around it if you are good to eachother.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
have a look at [url=http://www.3generation.org.uk]3Generation! - Home[/url]

Old 10-29-2008, 01:11 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I totally respect you in this great adventure!

I am far too bossy for my daughter to ever want to live with me again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents