Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times

Advertisements

This may not be place for this but I'll place it here for now. Maybe goes in psychology.

Is this what happens when we get old and our adult children treat us like children.

My daughter is forever correcting me...if I pronounce something that she thinks is pronounced differently she corrects me. Yesterday, I said thanks for correcting me. This was a product we like and the company name can go different ways.

Maybe her college student daughter is correcting her.

Thoughts, ever experience this one.

In reality, none of the stuff really matters when all is said done.

I like Progress, Not Perfection motto.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM

14,199 posts, read 11,440,782 times
My kids are not even adults, and they correct me all the time. I correct them, too, of course. Sometimes we have discussions / mild arguments about who is right. We break out the dictionary (online these days), or search Google, and often learn something new.

This doesn't seem odd or inappropriate to me at all; in fact, most of the time I appreciate it. I am not all that old but, for instance, I don't know what all the newer slang means or how to pronounce it when I see it, but my kids do. And I make mistakes just as they do. I certainly don't want to be the parent who thinks they are "always right," even when they're wrong.

Correcting friends or strangers can be obnoxious, but correcting family? Eh, doesn't worry me at all, and I wouldn't take it as "treating you like a child" unless your daughter is telling you how to hold your fork or what you should be wearing today.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,557,815 times
Oh she hasn't gotten to my clothes or fork yet, but I guess it's so strange now since I'm so much older and she's getting older too but still my child.

I don't dwell on it, and certainly don't correct friends or even her as so much is not important.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:53 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,163,665 times
My mother frequently pronounces something incorrectly but I don't say anything unless she asks me. At almost 82 years old she doesn't need to be corrected by me.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:13 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,812,819 times
Sounds like she is annoyed by you....which might not be your fault. But that's when I see people doing it is when they are annoyed with their parent.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,669,670 times
I don't like this trend.

My sister-in-law does it with her husband. In their case it's humiliating to watch. She belittles him.
Now my son's wife does it all the time. I talked to my son about it and he said it's 'a thing' in her family. I reminded him how we hate to be around my brother and his wife and I said you don't want to end up like them. He had no idea what I saw was exactly like when he knew of my brother.

So. I don't like to see it and I honestly think a story can be told without everything 'being correct'. The sad thing is this type of stuff passes down to the kids and yes they do correct each other. I don't know if it's done out of favoritism / spite / or concern. Siblings always correcting siblings means one is putting the other down.

I don't like it. It's belittling. And I wonder why they do it. Does it make them feel better to get one over on someone? I mean. Who cares?

Old 05-27-2017, 08:52 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,684,673 times
jamin, I'm sorry you're going through this. Has she always corrected you? Does she tend to correct everyone, kind of her general personality? That does get annoying.

The thing about the company name (you don't say what company it is) is it isn't correctly pronounced two different ways. People in the public may pronounce it two different ways, but the company pronounces it one way.

I'm not trying to pick nits - is your daughter trying to be helpful? Does she tend to be right when she corrects you?

Old 05-27-2017, 09:09 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Sounds like she is annoyed by you....which might not be your fault. But that's when I see people doing it is when they are annoyed with their parent.
+1.

If you are truly mispronouncing something though, don't you want to know? Have your daughter tell you or a stranger dismiss you because you sound like you don't know what you're talking about?

Old 05-27-2017, 09:13 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
jamin, I'm sorry you're going through this. Has she always corrected you? Does she tend to correct everyone, kind of her general personality? That does get annoying.

The thing about the company name (you don't say what company it is) is it isn't correctly pronounced two different ways. People in the public may pronounce it two different ways, but the company pronounces it one way.

I'm not trying to pick nits - is your daughter trying to be helpful? Does she tend to be right when she corrects you?
YES! Exactly.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:46 PM

866 posts, read 624,869 times
Smile Set Healthy boundaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This may not be place for this but I'll place it here for now. Maybe goes in psychology.

Is this what happens when we get old and our adult children treat us like children.
If it's offensive, contemptuous, humiliating, hostile or some other negative attitude/behavior, I'd stand up for myself and set a boundary on the offender. I sure wouldn't allow some ill-mannered, rude and offensive person, family or not to "correct" me with anything less than a polite and friendly manner. It's just common sense to stand up to impolite and offensive behaviors from ANYONE (except perhaps the cops!). I'd figure out how to set a healthy boundary with this person if it's offensive or rude and MEAN IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents