U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,050,052 times

Advertisements

Love my grandchildren and I spend time with them, I try to be there for all the milestones. spend quality time with them individually and I’m the emergency babysitter. That being said I haven’t allowed them to become the focus of my life, I will babysit occasionally not full time, I won’t be raising them but I will do the fun things with them. My Husband and I are enjoying our empty nest very much and I refuse to become that Grandparent that has no life outside of the Grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM

3,785 posts, read 1,347,015 times
Some people don't like kids.

Some people have issues with intimacy.

Some people are self-absorbed.

Some people have attachment issues of their own that impact their relationships with others.

Some people are not fun.

Some people aren't caring of others.

Some people aren't nurturing.

Some people are selfish.

Some people are shallow.

Etc., etc.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 PM

20,003 posts, read 13,152,061 times
Both DH and I really enjoy our grands. We spent time with them after school, and it was good.

I love all stages of childhood. I enjoyed my kids too.

But we don’t live in our kids’ pockets, nor they in ours. And I am not interested in raising them. Been there, done that. But we are almost available for babysitting. And we really enjoy them.

Once they get older, they’ll lose interest in us. I know this. But I am enjoying this time while it lasts.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,050,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Some people don't like kids.

Some people have issues with intimacy.

Some people are self-absorbed.

Some people have attachment issues of their own that impact their relationships with others.

Some people are not fun.

Some people aren't caring of others.

Some people aren't nurturing.

Some people are selfish.

Some people are shallow.

Etc., etc.
Some people were devoted parents and sacrificed for their children with no regrets but now are enjoying an empty nest and want to be Grandparents not a second set of parents.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,191,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainsofmisery View Post
When first notified my daughter was expecting I was kind of ambivalent about it. Friends commented on how exciting it would be and how it would change my life but I had my doubts. My wife was over the moon with excitement. At party to announce sex of baby, upon hearing results I just hoped the baby would be healthy. Meantime, other grandfather to be was screaming and jumping around the room while I looked quizzically at him. Friends continued to tell me I would no longer want to spend time in AZ (live in OH), I'd be spending free time with the grandchild, etc...

I am very active, road cycling 6000 miles a year, hiking/backpacking 100+ miles an adventuresome type of guy. Grandchild arrived and I was glad both mom and son were healthy and proceeded to head to AZ as I usually do at that time of year. Hardly thought of the grandchild while away 45 days having an exciting time. Came back, the grandchild is adorable, no doubt. When they visit our home, I can take about 15 minutes and then I'm looking for an escape, especially if child cries. It's kind of been there, done that with 3 children and that was enough. Have no interest in doing it again and while I have said nothing, my daughter knows not to ask me to babysit or take what is now a 2 year old to doctor visits, etc... I have 1 friend who is exactly the same but everyone else looks quizzically at me if I express my real feelings so I rarely do. I wonder how unusual am I or what percent of grandparents share my view?

Thumbs up to you gramps, rock on!

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

4,615 posts, read 1,953,250 times
OP hasn't been back - thread from '17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or