U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 AM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

We are expecting a grandchild, after an 18 year hiatus, and one item on my DILs list is called Windi the Gaspasser. No kidding.
I asked her about it and she said two friends recommended it.
It is a box of single use tubes to help babies expel gas. What will they think of next? I sure could have used it 34 years ago when the baby's daddy had colic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 09:57 PM

56 posts, read 17,755 times
I was kind of surprised by all the little stuff they have out now. I never understood that Giraffe teething toy...I don't buy into all that...kids these days are perfectly fine with the basic old stuff from the 80s...

Old 12-26-2017, 12:48 PM

119 posts, read 34,448 times
I went to Babies R Us with my daughter after my granddaughter was born. Saw a few useful new items, but mostly useless crap designed to lighten the wallet.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
The best is the baby monitor, now transmitting to the smartphone. How did we manage to handle 3 babies without one?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
I went to Babies R Us with my daughter after my granddaughter was born. Saw a few useful new items, but mostly useless crap designed to lighten the wallet.
Its no wonder they went out of business. We couldnít find any suitable toys there. The dolls were hard, and ugly and mostly themed after some cartoon or movie. Whatever happened to sweet charming toys?

Iím about to start looking for Christmas for my gd, who will be 11 months. I guess there is stil Fisher Price.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:02 PM

468 posts, read 127,051 times
I was gobsmacked when I went to shop for my DIL's baby shower earlier this year. She had registered at Bye Bye Baby and also on Amazon, but I wanted to see the item in person when choosing.

What shocked me were the prices. In retrospect I shouldn't have been surprised but honestly, I couldn't afford any of the "big" items that were on her registry. For example the $500 car seat just isn't in my fixed-income budget. I had already bought the baby monitor/camera that they wanted because I told my son that I wanted to buy that for them specifically. But I knew I had to bring more than just one thing to the baby shower.

I spent about $200 on registry items and felt like a piker because there weren't that many 'things' for that money. Didn't buy any clothing because I thought most of it was overpriced for the (lack of) quality. I also gave them a custom-painted name sign for the baby's room, from a lovely artist who sells on Etsy.

Back in the 1980s when I was buying stuff for my son, I bought most of the clothing stuff at department stores like Macys and Lord & Taylor. I remember going into Babies R Us back then and being underwhelmed. Toys R Us had a decent baby-goods department in those days. But then there were no baby registries back then or if there were, I never used one. I had a small baby shower lunch at a local restaurant, just 14 of us (female friends and relatives) including myself.

My DIL's baby shower was at a restaurant too but there were 50 guests, about 10 of them male including my son. The "haul" filled up an entire SUV and part of a second car!! I was stunned at the quantity of gifts given by everybody. Made me as a grandparent feel like about two cents. :-( I'm sure that most of their friends spent as much or more on the shower gifts than I was able to.

Things have sure changed in 30 years, LOL

Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 PM

801 posts, read 309,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Its no wonder they went out of business. We couldn’t find any suitable toys there. The dolls were hard, and ugly and mostly themed after some cartoon or movie. Whatever happened to sweet charming toys?

I’m about to start looking for Christmas for my gd, who will be 11 months. I guess there is stil Fisher Price.

Fisher Price remains great. Melissa & Doug a newer line and mostly made from wood also great ( well, new for me as my children are in their 40's) For an 11 month old, a Pottery Barn Kids Anytime Chair is absolutely appreciated by the parents and child.....she will still be using it at 5 years old. There are now 3 sizes and the regular is the one to which I refer.

TJ Max and Marshalls and Home Goods carry a lot of the Fisher Price and Melissa & Doug toys at superb prices.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:44 AM

I haven’t seen Melissa & Doug, but I have found Manhattan Toy Co. which has darling, high quality toys. I got my granddaughter a pull toy from them for Christmas.

https://www.manhattantoy.com/collect.../my-pal-clover

Also a good old standby, the stacking rings from Fisher Price.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I was gobsmacked when I went to shop for my DIL's baby shower earlier this year. She had registered at Bye Bye Baby and also on Amazon, but I wanted to see the item in person when choosing.

What shocked me were the prices. In retrospect I shouldn't have been surprised but honestly, I couldn't afford any of the "big" items that were on her registry. For example the $500 car seat just isn't in my fixed-income budget. I had already bought the baby monitor/camera that they wanted because I told my son that I wanted to buy that for them specifically. But I knew I had to bring more than just one thing to the baby shower.

I spent about $200 on registry items and felt like a piker because there weren't that many 'things' for that money. Didn't buy any clothing because I thought most of it was overpriced for the (lack of) quality. I also gave them a custom-painted name sign for the baby's room, from a lovely artist who sells on Etsy.

Back in the 1980s when I was buying stuff for my son, I bought most of the clothing stuff at department stores like Macys and Lord & Taylor. I remember going into Babies R Us back then and being underwhelmed. Toys R Us had a decent baby-goods department in those days. But then there were no baby registries back then or if there were, I never used one. I had a small baby shower lunch at a local restaurant, just 14 of us (female friends and relatives) including myself.

My DIL's baby shower was at a restaurant too but there were 50 guests, about 10 of them male including my son. The "haul" filled up an entire SUV and part of a second car!! I was stunned at the quantity of gifts given by everybody. Made me as a grandparent feel like about two cents. :-( I'm sure that most of their friends spent as much or more on the shower gifts than I was able to.

Things have sure changed in 30 years, LOL
I’m a grandma too, but I think your one nice gift for a shower is plenty.

My DIL just bought the baby a $100. toy. It’s one of those square toys that sits on the floor and has many different activities. Maybe its worth it, but I would never in a million years have spent that kind of money on a toy for my kids.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:04 PM

468 posts, read 127,051 times
It didn't help that my DIL announced to all and sundry at the baby shower that her parents had paid for ALL of the furniture in the baby's room, which I happen to know came to over $4000. The convertible crib alone was $1500 because my son emailed me the link to tell me what they decided to buy, so I'd know what it would look like. He never told me that her parents paid for it though.

Here's the thing: Her parents are not wealthy people. They live in the same small house they've owned since the 1960s and are living on Social Security and one pension. We're in a very high cost of living area and so what would go a long way in other parts of the country is just an average income here. They did get an inheritance from a relative a couple of years ago (a house to sell) and I am assuming that the nursery furnishings gift came from that. Unfortunately all my savings were wiped out by a combination of the 2008 recession and having cancer with no health insurance, so I live on Social Security alone. It's a complete turnaround from when my son was growing up and I could afford to give him things and be very generous (which I was.) But now I have a set amount of money in the bank and a fixed income, and it bothers me bigtime that I have to choose between spending money that I really shouldn't (in terms of putting my own financial future first) and watching my DIL's parents be "the good grandparents" as far as financial help goes. I felt like about two cents after learning that they gave my son and DIL $10,000 to help pay for their wedding (son and DIL had to borrow and credit-card-finance the rest, and a typical wedding here runs about $40K), while I only gave them $250 plus the gifts at the bridal shower. So the baby shower was just one more situation again when I felt like a piker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or