U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2017, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 3,615 times

Advertisements

Well, forgotten again for the fifth Christmas.
But at lease my son got to spend Christmas with
his children in which he has missed two, because
his selfness wife wanted to spend Christmas with
her parents. Not at home because it was too cold,
with snow. The last two Christmases she spent in
Florida and stay until March because of the weather.
So sad she tears the children away for months on end.
But she does not care that her husband, my son is
without his family.
I am hoping since they are in public school they
will have to go back. I research on line to see if
she could take them out for 3 months away from school.
She could land up in jail.
Our only hope that the next 5 years will be our house.
They told us they might be moving, what we haven't told
them is that we been planning to move also and we will be
a lot closer than her parents.
Maybe we might have our turn finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 05:11 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6753 View Post
without his family.
Call the local school district. In my area, if a child misses ten school days (without a medical excuse) the parent can be charged with a crime. While, it is rarely done (especially after only ten days) if a child misses a certain amount of days , in my district it is 45 days, the child automatically fails that grade.

I can't imagine a child that misses three months of school (approximately one-third of the school year) would be able to fulfill all the requirements to move to the next grade.

Old 12-25-2017, 06:59 PM

3,634 posts, read 9,231,775 times
Wonder if she is going to say she is homeschooling? the requirements are different in each state.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:11 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,719,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Call the local school district. In my area, if a child misses ten school days (without a medical excuse) the parent can be charged with a crime. While, it is rarely done (especially after only ten days) if a child misses a certain amount of days , in my district it is 45 days, the child automatically fails that grade.

I can't imagine a child that misses three months of school (approximately one-third of the school year) would be able to fulfill all the requirements to move to the next grade.
It really depends on the school and the options it offers.

My grandson is spending 2 months at my house now. He is 2100 miles from his school. BUT he is on home school through the school district he usually attends.

He has his assignment and gets them on-line daily and turns them in on time. He brought his books with him for reading science and history.

When he returns to school in another month he will have completed the same assignments, quizzes and tests as his classmates.

It does take some work on my part to make sure he gets his work done and he understands it.

The only thing subject-wise that is different than his classmates is PE. He has to do something for 45 minutes a day that is physical activity, which includes going to the gym, treadmill, free weights or weight machines, or just walking around the neighborhood or bike riding or swimming. His classmates are finishing exercise classes / stretching and starting soccer while he is gone.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:42 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,048,636 times
Wow �� you would be that cruel and vindictive to the mother of your grandchildren? Okay it's not fair she wants to spend Christmas with her parents and then stay for a couple of months but this is between your son and his wife.

My dil will be overseas for three months with my grand baby so I understand but my son loves her and she makes him happy and is a good mother. I am the paternal grandmother and as such seem to take the backseat BUT I am learning to not resent her need to be with her mother on special holidays. I wanted to be with my mother on holidays.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:35 PM

1,667 posts, read 689,716 times
I was curious what your son's feelings are in all this. Maybe he sees this as a way for his wife to reconnect with her family and he doesn't need to be involved in all that. For some this type of marriage works for them. I have a casual neighbor friend that was born in England. She takes her only child, her teen daughter with her to England each summer for the full summer. Her husband doesn't seem to mind, at least I don't hear him complain about it. And she goes back to be with her mom, help her, and visit her sister.

I'm thinking even if you moved closer that you still won't get the holiday you want. It's all about compromise. You might also speak up and see how your son feels about all this and let him know how you feel - That you would like a holiday all together. Maybe he's unaware.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:44 PM

1,667 posts, read 689,716 times
I think all families have to adjust once their children marry and move on with their lives. The way our society is it's even harder to travel, to spend time together, to commit, and make what you want live up to what you get.

I had to smile.
My brother and his wife lived near her parents until her parents passed away. My nephews, their children, were raised around these grandparents.
So when one of those nephews married, his wife wanted to live close to her parents.
And he griped and complained about it but it made me smile. . . Because he was raised that way and he didn't see it happening all over again with his marriage.

Even more interesting, his mother, my brother's wife, wants equal time with the grandkids even if she lives quite a bit away. So now she's happy to, they moved to the same city and she can live her life with her grandkids. And no, I have no idea if she griped too over her son living far away. !!!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:39 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6753 View Post
without his family.
I know this thread is old, but the same messages and discussions hold true throughout the ages...I think.

Seems it's probably always her fault when things don't go the way you hope/want.
NEVER the sons fault of course..probably ALWAYS the daughter in laws fault...right?

Direct your anger towards your son, not the loving mother of your grandchildren.
He IS her husband is he not?
He DOES have a mind of his own does he not?
Quit trying to hurt the children's mother by trying to find something you can hold against her...it's VERY unbecoming, and doesn't look good on a grandma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or