U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 03:02 PM

16,476 posts, read 15,913,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I talked to DD and she seems to be fine with us waiting a few months for a first visit. I confessed to her that would be best scenario for all concerned (babies may be in NICU for a while anyway if born early) but there is pretty strong cultural meme for mom of mom to be there right away. She didn't seem to mind if we waited. Apparently, grandparents have to get shots anyway before they can even be with newborns so will need to get that done too I guess.
Thanks for updating. And, thanks for the reminder that grandparents, and others, need to up to date on their shots and may need booster shoots for some illnesses. When I mentioned that to people, before our first grandchild was born, I was shocked at how many adults (even other new grandparents) did not know that or said that "it really did not matter".

Regarding the "strong cultural meme" that the mother of the mom needed to be there right away, well times have changed. It is not like all maternal grandmothers live in the same town and do not have jobs of their own and lives of their own. As you mentioned the paternal grandparents live close to the new Mom & Dad and are close to your daughter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 04:59 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I talked to DD and she seems to be fine with us waiting a few months for a first visit. I confessed to her that would be best scenario for all concerned (babies may be in NICU for a while anyway if born early) but there is pretty strong cultural meme for mom of mom to be there right away. She didn't seem to mind if we waited. Apparently, grandparents have to get shots anyway before they can even be with newborns so will need to get that done too I guess.
The shot that is generally recommended for grandparents is Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis, [whooping cough]). It is not a big deal to schedule this. In most states, you can go to a pharmacy such as Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, CVS, etc, and get it on the spot. You can get it no matter when you last had a vaccine. During flu season, it's also best to get the flu shot before being around the babies.
http://www.immunize.org/vis/tdap.pdf

Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,062,520 times
Is the Tdap requirement new? I don't remember anyone suggesting that when I had my babies 15 and 17 years ago. Though me not remembering that doesn't necessarily mean anything!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Is the Tdap requirement new? I don't remember anyone suggesting that when I had my babies 15 and 17 years ago. Though me not remembering that doesn't necessarily mean anything!
Thanks for making me look this all up, LOL! (J/K) Tdap came out in 2005, after both your kids were born. In October 2011, it was recommended that pregnant women get a dose during pregnancy. It's also recommended that anyone who is going to be around the baby a lot, e.g. grandparents, caregivers, fathers, etc, get a dose before they have contact with the baby.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:10 PM

16,476 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
There has been a huge increase in the number of people who come down with whooping cough in the US. According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, in 2012 whooping cough had the highest amount of recorded cases in 50 years (48,227 and 18 deaths). Yes, the highest number of cases in 50 years!

Infants are very susceptible to this highly contagious disease until they get their first immunization at two months of age. According to the CDC, about half of all infants, under one year old, who catch whooping cough/pertussis will need to be hospitalized and one or two out of 100 will die.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-28-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,062,520 times
Ah, good to know. My kids did get Tdap shots when they were 10/11/12ish but I didn't realize adults needed to get them before being with newborns. I'm out of that phase until I have grandchildren (which hopefully won't be for a decade or so, at least!).

Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Ah, good to know. My kids did get Tdap shots when they were 10/11/12ish but I didn't realize adults needed to get them before being with newborns. I'm out of that phase until I have grandchildren (which hopefully won't be for a decade or so, at least!).
The recommendation is for all adults to get a Tdap ASAP. From the link I previously posted:
"One dose of Tdap is routinely given at age 11 or 12. People who did not get Tdap at that age should get it as soon as possible. Tdap is especially important for healthcare professionals and anyone having close contact with a baby younger than 12 months."

By ASAP I mean as soon as convenient for you. The Tdap not only protects any baby you may be in contact with, it protects you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents