Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,048 times

Advertisements

I love my grandkids and don't mind watching them, but I work full-time and also am a caregiver of a moderately developmentally disabled adult. I don't really want to do overnights and don't offer. I always see people who want to do overnights. Am I that much in the minority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainelady View Post
I love my grandkids and don't mind watching them, but I work full-time and also am a caregiver of a moderately developmentally disabled adult. I don't really want to do overnights and don't offer. I always see people who want to do overnights. Am I that much in the minority?
I am a grandparent, too, plus I have many friends who are grandparents. You are in a much different situation, working full time plus being a caregiver, than a grandparent who is not working or retired and looking for ways to fill their days & nights. Plus, being a caregiver, even part time, is extremely exhausting and demanding.

IMHO, as long as you love your grandchildren and spend time with them you can be a wonderful grandparent without doing overnight visits.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
My parents were retired before they became grand parents, so a very different situation.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
I can understand your position, and it's up to the grandparents to decide. We both work still, but love having our two spend the night, even several nights. I would think that having grandkids while a caregiver for an adult could be too much. You certainly have nothing to feel guilty about.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,383 times
I love cuddling overnight with the grandchildren, but couldn't do that and care for a developmentally disabled adult. Too much! Don't belittle your good judgment.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:

we all have different needs and circumstances as grandparents and families. You've already got your plate full, it’s understandable you would rather not do overnights.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:03 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
I don't want to do overnights either. When I bought my current house I set it up so that there is only one bedroom (the other two were made into a computer room and a giant closet), and the tv room does not have a sofa -- it has three single chairs. The only way anyone could stay overnight here would be in a sleeping bag on the cement foundation floor. I doubt that will hold much appeal.

It's not that I have a job or other obligations: I just don't like anyone staying overnight, whether child or adult, relative or not. When my son moved out, went to college and then got his own home after graduation that was the end of any overnight guests and that is the way I like it/intend it to stay.

A friend of mine recently moved from a 2-bedroom to a 1-bedroom apartment while her daughter is pregnant. Another friend said to her when we were at lunch "But where will your future grandson sleep when he comes to visit you??" My friend answered with a wink and a smile "Yes that's exactly why I did it. I can only handle young children in small doses and that does not include overnight."

Old 10-02-2018, 03:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
No...not at all.
Best leave that for when they're REALLY in a pinch.
No need to keep the little ones over night to have quality time with them.
Thankfully my daughter prefers her children in their own beds at night...not that I wouldn't take them (and have) on the occasional time it's been needed.

I don't think you're a minority at all.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I don't work but we camp winter and summer, and go out often. I keep busy but I like my down time too. (naps in the afternoon)

We have one grand-child, a lovely 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter. We love her to bits, but man, a 2 year old can tire this old girl out quickly. I try not to let her out of my sight so she can't get into anything around the house or pester our two small dogs. It's always much easier when hubby is around to help and entertain her, but he still works and often has a lot of outside work to do around the house when he's home.

I can do an overnight or two in a row, but that's about it. I'm beat after her mom or dad picks her up and heave a sigh of relief. I can't imagine trying to keep up with her for a week if her parent's decide to fly off to a vacation spot and leave her with us. It's been mentioned, but hasn't happened.

Honestly, she is a very well behaved girl, but I'd far rather visit with her when at least one of her parents are around to help keep an eye on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents