U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:44 AM

5,808 posts, read 957,962 times

Advertisements

Here in the Denver area, when my kids were in high school about 10 years ago, it was considered cool for boys to wear shorts in very cold weather and even in snow, and, conversely, many kids would wear black jeans and hoodies in 85 degree weather). I was "taught" that experience is that the best teacher and should let it go, and the kids would learn on their own that such choices would eventually bring their own misery, but that never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:10 AM

5,937 posts, read 3,660,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Here in the Denver area, when my kids were in high school about 10 years ago, it was considered cool for boys to wear shorts in very cold weather and even in snow, and, conversely, many kids would wear black jeans and hoodies in 85 degree weather). I was "taught" that experience is that the best teacher and should let it go, and the kids would learn on their own that such choices would eventually bring their own misery, but that never happened.
It probably did, unless your kids now in their late 20s are still wearing shorts in the snow and hoodies in the summer.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:32 PM

24,760 posts, read 29,390,778 times
Most young people think most old people are uncool.

Unless it is cold enough to actually cause skin damage, I stopped making my teen dress in warm clothes. If he's uncomfortably cold, that's his own fault and his own problem. We got him a puffy packable coat so he can shove it in his backpack when he gets to school, if he wears it.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Also, you don't get sick from being cold. Unless you live in Alaska, snow pants are overkill.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:42 PM

908 posts, read 340,409 times
I don't have grand kids, I have grand dogs.

Regarding my own grandfather...
I never really thought of him as "uncool", although he always wore khakis, never blue jeans. Then, he told me some stories from his youth.

His first car was a Ford model T. It was well-used and the engine threw a rod every few hundred miles - he learned to repair the engine himself.

The cool thing was...he painted the T's fenders pink to appeal to the ladies. He was a genuine hot-rodder in the '20s. That was cool.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:58 PM

1,065 posts, read 908,749 times
Parents and grandparents, by virtue of the fact that they are older than the kids doing the judging, just aren't cool. That's the only power the kids have, since adults are the ones in charge.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:42 PM

20,255 posts, read 13,301,590 times
You are walking your 13 year old grandchild to school? Is this necessary? And you insist on bundling her up like the Michelin Man? I don’t know. Snow pants? What a pain to take on and off in school. Why not just wear jeans?

Notice what other kids wear to school for cues about whether you are allowing her to dress appropriately. Obviously you want her to be warm and modest, but if she looks too different fron the other girls she could feel embarrassed.

When I was 13, I walked to school on a narrow shoulder of a busy road every morning. I figured out how to stay warm by trial and error. It was roughly a 15 minute walk. If your neighborhood is not unsafe, I don’t know why you would need to walk her to school. Do you walk her home too?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 AM

5,416 posts, read 2,450,281 times
Just wanted to chime in that you are cool in my book!
To invest in her health and care..that's a plus!

You bet I bundled up in my teens. I hated the chills then and still do...today! I recall the so called 'cool' kids walking to the bus stop with wet sopping hair. Ohh what rebels they were with just a Jean jacket and their sneaker foot ware. (Yes they wore jeans). Most of the winter they'd be sneezing and hacking up stuff. I refuse to believe you can catch a cold on a sunny 80 degree day...but by golly every cold I incurred was from cold...damp...windy ..rainy ..snowy days!

So as one lady who raised her boys to bundle up...they are healthy and still wear a hat and gloves when out shoveling or traveling to work.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 PM

I missed that you are walking her to and from school. You need to lighten up. Unless there are circumstances we're not aware of, a 13 year old (7th or 8th grade?) does NOT need to be walked to and from school. Unless you live in Alaska, she does not need to bundle up like that. I live in Colorado, and adults don't even dress like that in the dead of winter, unless there is a blizzard going on, and even then, they'd be driving, not walking, so still not necessary. I've only seen adults bundle up that much if it is very cold/snowing, and whatever they are doing requires spending an extended period of time outside.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Just wanted to chime in that you are cool in my book!
To invest in her health and care..that's a plus!

You bet I bundled up in my teens. I hated the chills then and still do...today! I recall the so called 'cool' kids walking to the bus stop with wet sopping hair. Ohh what rebels they were with just a Jean jacket and their sneaker foot ware. (Yes they wore jeans). Most of the winter they'd be sneezing and hacking up stuff. I refuse to believe you can catch a cold on a sunny 80 degree day...but by golly every cold I incurred was from cold...damp...windy ..rainy ..snowy days!

So as one lady who raised her boys to bundle up...they are healthy and still wear a hat and gloves when out shoveling or traveling to work.
Colds come from germs. Germs are spread by people not weather. We tend to get them more in the winter when people are inside more, in close contact with other people. This has nothing to do with health, just an overly controlling care-giver.

https://www.healthline.com/health/do...-sick#outdoors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or