Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times

Advertisements

I have to ask since I didn't see where you said where you are and what the temperature is. Are you somewhere such as North Dakota or Alaska?

Do remember, just because you are cold doesn't mean she is. My mother always wanted me to put on a sweater in the house or shoes, or at least socks. She didn't fight me on it, tho. She was just always cold and didn't see how I could be warm when she wasn't. I still haven't needed a coat this winter, but we haven't gotten cooler than the low 30s. I have some beautiful coats, but it's just too warm for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 11:31 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Colds come from germs. Germs are spread by people not weather. We tend to get them more in the winter when people are inside more, in close contact with other people. This has nothing to do with health, just an overly controlling care-giver.

https://www.healthline.com/health/do...-sick#outdoors
Thanks for the link! Interpretation itself can be bias. What you deem controlling I transcribe as an attentive adult .
From 7 to 13..I can still recall the long walks home from school.. no adult to curtail the 'being jumped' by some of the older kids ...
The Guardian here is atune and concerned.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
A 13 yo is old enough to know how warm she needs to dress and learn if she misjudges. Big coats can be a real nuisance at school once you are inside and don't need them. And snow pants would be overkill in most locals unless there is no heating in the school! Please respect your GD's judgment in things like this--she's 13!!

Last edited by Harpaint; 11-25-2018 at 11:52 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thanks for the link! Interpretation itself can be bias. What you deem controlling I transcribe as an attentive adult .
From 7 to 13..I can still recall the long walks home from school.. no adult to curtail the 'being jumped' by some of the older kids ...
The Guardian here is atune and concerned.
Grandma is walking her to and from school to make sure she wears layers upon layers of outerwear. Adults themselves can "get jumped" any time, anywhere. Should grandma continue to walk her to high school? college? Around here, kids walk to and from school alone starting around 8-10 years old. There are plenty of parents who drive middle and high schoolers, but not a single one would walk their 13+ kid to or from school.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
My 10 year old son wears shorts year around. It was 26 degrees this morning and he still wore shorts. The thing that people forget is the schools (at least where we are) are warm....sometimes very warm. The kids don't want to wear coats (my kids ride the bus so they have a short wait outside) or pants because then they sweat in their classrooms all day.

I guess it depends on if you live in Alaska on wearing snowpants and a parka on the walk to school. How long is the walk?

A 13 year old girl was kidnapped not long ago when she went outside to start up a family member's vehicle one morning before school. She's still missing and a body was discovered and they think it might be her.

I can't fault grandma for walking with her to school every morning if there aren't other kids to walk with her and it's a long walk.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
Oh no - Once I told them I had more followers then they had on instagram with my "all bundled up" and "ready for winter" photos - they thought I was THE COOLEST. Of course, I didn't tell them it was my neighbor's kid who put me ON instagram. SSsshhh - our little secret.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
I've been raising my grandson since he was 12 (now 16). He thinks I'm pretty cool. I dont tell him how to dress or walk him to school. Thats pretty uncool in the eyes of a teenager.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
This is nothing new. My 93-year-old mother told me once that she used to take off her long underwear as soon as she got out of sight of the house, stuff it in some bushes and then put it back on on the way home from school.

I remember fighting my mother about wearing leggings (big bulky things with shoulder straps, not the new fashionable ones) under my coat on cold days in the 1950's.

My daughter never wanted to wear a warm coat in the 1980's.

When I visited my granddaughter at her college the first time, it was getting cold up there. She had nothing but a hoodie and thought it would get her through the winter. I took her out and insisted on buying her a coat. She did thank me later.

You can't keep socks on my great-granddaughter. In fact, she doesn't like clothes much at all. They live in the frozen north but the 2 1/2 year old doesn't seem to feel the cold like I do.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleena61 View Post
No we don’t drive to school, it’s about a 15 minute walk.
You're not only uncool, you are stifling her growth and independence.

She's 13, she should be deciding what to wear herself, unless it's too risque, and she should be walking to school by herself or with her friends.

It's very possible she is being teased by the other kids for the snow pants and having grandma/grandpa walk her to school.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM

561 posts, read 324,389 times
I have this argument with my grandson. His mother has it with him. I had it with his mother. By the time they are 13 I pretty much don't care if they wear it as long as the carry it with them. We are in Minnesota where the roads can get bad and the temps can get into digits that will literally freeze skin within minutes. If they want to be cold running from the house to the cars that's fine and dandy but if they end up in a ditch between point A and point B then they better darn well have something besides a hoodie in the car!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents