U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 985 times

Advertisements

Iím raising my 13 year old granddaughter and she thinks that Iím in ďuncoolĒ because aperantly wearing winter coats and snow pants to school isnít considered cool. Well itís freezing out so I bundled her up nice and tight this morning and told her that itís not cool to get sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 06:01 PM

1,839 posts, read 2,446,011 times
I'm 71 years old and I had this same argument with my parents when I was 12!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:19 PM

5,699 posts, read 3,503,610 times
I have three kids, all teens. Granted, we don't live where it freezes, but I stopped forcing them to dress as warmly as *I* thought they ought to dress long before they turned 13.

A toddler or young elementary school child, of course, bundle them up. But a teen? They have to learn weather-appropriate dress sometime and the more you hover, the more many will resist. If they don't dress warmly enough and the cold bothers them, oh well, they'll take a coat next time. And face it, cold just may not bother them as much as it bothers you.

My sister has two teens and lives in Spokane, WA, where it gets very cold and snowy in the winter. One of her kids hasn't worn a coat or snow pants for years. He lives in gym shorts and hoodies. He's now 18 and still alive, never gets sick.

Pick your battles and make sure they are ones you can win. I would not be surprised to find that your granddaughter peeled off all those warm clothes you forced her to wear, as soon as she was out of your sight.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Pick your battles and make sure they are ones you can win. I would not be surprised to find that your granddaughter peeled off all those warm clothes you forced her to wear, as soon as she was out of your sight.
I take her to school so I donít have to worry about her taking anything off. Although she often comes out without her hood and scarf on after class

Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 PM

12,976 posts, read 20,041,476 times
So, she goes from your car into school? Why does she need to bundle up so much? I think you need to back off on this.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 PM

719 posts, read 205,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleena61 View Post
I’m raising my 13 year old granddaughter and she thinks that I’m in “uncool” because aperantly wearing winter coats and snow pants to school isn’t considered cool. Well it’s freezing out so I bundled her up nice and tight this morning and told her that it’s not cool to get sick.

LOL, boy did this bring back memories of my mom doing the exact same thing to me when I was going to school in the late 1950s/early 1960s! She bundled me up as if I was Shackleton heading off to the Antarctic as soon as the temps went below 45F. The walk from our house to the grade school was about six short blocks; to the junior high was about 3/4 mile, thus no school bus qualification. My mom never learned to drive.

The worst thing was on Halloween during grade school, when she made me wear a coat over, plus corduroy pants under, my costume which was usually something like Cinderella, Snow White, or a fairy princess. Oh, and a hat with ear flaps too! Talk about looking ridiculous and being made fun of by all the kids in the neighborhood. It was brutal, and was one of the two reasons why I came to hate Halloween and only went trick or treating for about three years before deciding that it just wasn't worth feeling like the world's biggest fool.

In general I think most 13-year-olds probably think their parents/grandparents/adult caregivers are "uncool" for one reason or another. Goes with the territory, lol

Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So, she goes from your car into school? Why does she need to bundle up so much? I think you need to back off on this.
No we donít drive to school, itís about a 15 minute walk.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:35 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,328,160 times
I lived in Alaska for over 23 years while growing up and ditched the snow pants as soon as I could. We hated them even in the 50's. Uncool. Heavy special winter clothes were not even really needed until it got to around zero and below.

A coat that cuts the wind, versatile long scarf, gloves maybe, boots maybe, pants rather than bare legs is all that is really needed. Layers are much better than things like heavy thick "snow pants" or really heavy coats.

If it is really cold, have her wear tights and pants but it might be too much in a overly warm school.

PS: A 13 year old is able to dress themselves and you are seriously damaging your relationship with this interference in a teenager's choices of winter clothes.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:25 AM

5,448 posts, read 782,208 times
Nothing new with that, I think. I think that most kids for the past 300 years or so, at least, have thought that at least 90% of anyone over the age of 30-35 was not cool. However, my oldest grandkid is only six, so I figure that I will have MAYBE two more years before she starts thinking that.

However, being cool usually has nothing to do with being loved and/or liked, I think.

Last edited by katharsis; 11-21-2018 at 06:37 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 AM

9,099 posts, read 4,980,841 times
Hmmmmm, the closest thing I have to grandkids are the children of my brothers and cousins.

Of those of the cousins, I hardly see them so I don''t know what they think of me.....though one set, an older sister and younger brother might think me weird that I had to ask who was Heather and who was Derek........but that's just because the long hair on a 10 year old male did not make it easy.

Of one brother's step children, the then teen step daughter probably is upset with me that I upset her plans to stay at my mother's house for a stay when I asked her mother about it........and my sister in law knew nothing about it which quashed the attempt immediately.

SHRUG. Whether by intention or design, it should have been expected that someone who had been in security services would check out a story with another source.

As far as cold weather, in a pinch, I can get rather exquisite when dressing a child in a pinch, putting a hat on them, a fur parka, making them look like "Blondie" (Clint Eastwood) from a spaghetti western. Are leg warmers back in fashion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or