U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 264 times

Advertisements

My mother, 79, has been battling several health issues. Pnuemonia, bronchitis, breast cancer, and severe vomiting. She's not expected to live long. How can I explain to my children that there grandma soon won't be with them anymore????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM

460 posts, read 205,766 times
Tell them that Grandma is sick and she might die soon and all the facts that go with it, along with a reminder that it isn't good manners to ask dying people anything about their dying... then be there with your children, to cut them short if you need to, if/when you visit. I don't understand the problem otherwise... it's pretty straightforward.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 264 times
Thank you. I will!!!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,421,069 times
How old are her grandchildren? How you say these things depends on their age.

I’d say t you need to tell them what you said here and take it from there. Perhaps you can help them do something like choose flowers to give her, or make a card that says they love her. Here are some tips:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ld-about-death

https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/death.html

Old 03-22-2019, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 264 times
My daughter is 11 and my son is 9. My 9-year-old is affected by it the most. He's only in 3rd grade, and he cries an awful lot. We will make a card together!!!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:27 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,421,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Grove View Post
My daughter is 11 and my son is 9. My 9-year-old is affected by it the most. He's only in 3rd grade, and he cries an awful lot. We will make a card together!!!
Aww poor luv. So sorry ,itís hard all round. If it were me Iíd want my grandchild to know that itís okay and that itís my time to go ,that I cherish her and thank her for being such a beautiful part of my lifeís journey. I think including them in some of the rituals or creating special ones that suit your lifestyle and belief system helps enormously, like lighting a candle everyday at a special time just for grandma, or planting a tree.

Old Today, 02:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 13,577,494 times
I like the idea of making a card with your kids for grandma.

I would tell them that grandma is very sick. It is OK to tell them she might die. Later you can give more info.

If you can let them visit earlier rather than later, keeping it short, that is OK too. Tell them that grandma is the same person even though she is very sick, in order to lessen their anxiety about seeing her.

Don’t forget to acknowledge your own grief. Your kids will learn how to process grief from you.

Best wishes in this journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents