U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think its fine. You could also get her a card and maybe some fun, inexpensive things as she gets older like sidewalk chalk, silly putty, play dough, bubbles, simple arts supplies, a cute book, etc. Things shell actually use and have fun with even if only for a few hours that wont end up in the corner or at the thrift store and also wont cost you much at all. Shes so young now that money for the future alone seems great.

This. The silly fun stuff is the best. Until she gets to an age where she might really want something specific you could get her, I'd do silly stuff & money in the account.

When our sons were young they loved playing in the boxes all the cost a lot gifts came in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 05:59 PM

1,515 posts, read 512,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It seems that many/some people go overboard today on 1st birthday celebrations. When my kids were that age, at the most, 1st birthday parties were grandparents and aunts/uncles/cousins. Today I have seen huge celebrations. One relative started planning her baby's 1st birthday celebration when he was only six months old. She invited (I believe) 75 people to the celebration in the town where she and her husband live and 50 people to the celebration in her hometown. They already have more toys, books and clothes than most sets of quintuplets would ever need I can't imagine how much stuff their son will get for his 1st birthday.
I suspect that GDDTR's first b-day party will be a big to-do also. When I went to my DIL's baby shower I was knocked for a loop by the number of guests (50, including a dozen husbands/boyfriends) and the overwhelming volume of stuff that people were giving. I'd bought six gifts from DIL's baby registry, plus a truly lovely custom painted porcelain name plaque for the baby's room (via Etsy), but ended up feeling like a complete piker compared to what even DS's and DIL's friends and co-workers were giving. :-( And every other actual relative gave even more.

They needed two large SUVs, stuffed to the hilt, plus the trunk of one car, to bring all the "loot" home. Being from a very small family, this was quite the learning experience for me.

My baby shower in the mid-1980s was held at a small but lovely local restaurant as a Sunday brunch. We all sat at a single large table. As I look at the photo in my album, there's myself, my mom, my aunt, my MIL, my husband's aunt, my husband's cousin, my SIL, and my five friends, four of whom I had known for ten years or more. So 12 people. No males, but I guess back in the 80s that was not yet 'a thing.'

When did a dozen people morph into 30, 40, 50 or more? Yipes!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:12 PM

1,875 posts, read 633,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
My baby shower in the mid-1980s was held at a small but lovely local restaurant as a Sunday brunch. We all sat at a single large table. As I look at the photo in my album, there's myself, my mom, my aunt, my MIL, my husband's aunt, my husband's cousin, my SIL, and my five friends, four of whom I had known for ten years or more. So 12 people. No males, but I guess back in the 80s that was not yet 'a thing.'

When did a dozen people morph into 30, 40, 50 or more? Yipes!
Well, yes, but EVERY baby needs a video baby monitor, an electric swing, a deluxe stroller, a food-warming tray, a special cover to zip over their car seat so they don't get cold, a white-noise machine for the bedroom...

We had them growing up, right?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 412 times
I think it's a wonderful idea to put money in a 529 for the grandchild's future. The child may not appreciate it now, but as they get older and learn the value of money I think they will greatly appreciate the gesture and foresight of your gift. Hopefully they will also be able to learn a valuable lesson about financial responsibility that they can carry into adulthood.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 AM

271 posts, read 146,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
My son is 11 months old, and we are panicked about the gifts he may receive for his first birthday, because our house is already exploding with his stuff!! My mom asked if it was ok if she didnt get him a toy - she suggested a step stool for the bathroom, and I countered that with suggesting a toy bin. Shes gladly buying him one! We are hoping for contributions toward his college fund rather than toys or clothes from other family members... I think your gift is generous and perfectly acceptable.
Yes! You don't say how the girl's parents feel, OP, but I'm personally thrilled that neither of my son's grandparents send him much in the way of stuff. There's some, to be sure, because they live on the other side of the country so they don't get to do experiences, but I am so overrun with stuff for him despite living so far from family and buying very little myself. The best material things are the ones that have some significance; my younger brother, for example, sent new versions of some of his favorite toys and books growing up, and our parents sent some of our childhood books or toys similar to our favorites. You're doing just fine!

Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 AM

1,515 posts, read 512,702 times
Several people mentioned books, and I do have a shelf, about 3 feet long, of books that were my son's when he was growing up. I do intend to gift those to my granddaughter as she gets older, for sure.

I was browsing Etsy yesterday for a first-birthday gift and came across some "money box frames"; found a very pretty one that can be personalized with a name. They are about 9" or 12" square and have a slot in the clear front to drop money in; unlike the traditional piggy bank it allows one to see/watch the savings grow, which I think is a great incentive for a child to add to it. The box can be stood up or hung on the wall.

Pretty much all of them are made by artisans in England so these definitely seem to be a UK thing rather than an American one. No idea why they apparently have not caught on here in the States. But they all ship to the USA, so no worries, LOL

I found a pretty one customizable in a background color to match GDDTR's room, and the front has a silhouette of a dancing princess on it along with her name. (I am assuming we can't post product links here but if you google "princess money box frame" it will be within the first row of image results.)

Old 04-16-2019, 02:46 PM

1,875 posts, read 633,632 times
The transparent money box is a good example of using a lot of thought in choosing a gift. Anyone can pick up a "My First St. Patrick's Day" teddy bear off a shelf in the store because it's convenient and THEY think it's cute. It's another matter to think, "What would the grandchild like? What could we enjoy together? What's something they've never seen/done before?" Someone had mentioned bubbles in an earlier post- good example of something inexpensive but pure magic to a kid who hasn't seen them before.

It's more fun to use your imagination than just hand over plastic for something everyone else is buying!

Old 04-21-2019, 01:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,435,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm a grandmother, too. While I agree that a 529 account is a great idea, IMHO, small, special gifts for Christmas & her birthday (not those other holidays) are important as well, especially when she is old enough to remember them. IMHO, putting a slightly smaller amount in the 529 for Christmas plus giving her a special book or toy (maybe a book/toy that you saved from her parents childhood) would be great.

I am also a low-key parent/grandparent/aunt/great-aunt and would rather give "experiences" (such as a trip to the zoo or museum) than another toy or outfit.
This. My favorite gifts I like to give my grandsons are things like kites, gliders, water balloon kits, sidewalk chalk...things for outside activities we can play together. Oldest grandson doesn't particularly enjoy playing outside, so it's an incentive to get him out there. One of his most special birthday presents was a real train ride (from his great-uncles, my brothers) when he turned four, at the time he was crazy about trains. Was he excited! Now he's into space. If he wants a trip there, he'll have to figure out how to get there on his own. He loves the planetarium. This Christmas, I'm going to suggest his parents invest some of the cash they'd normally use to buy him toys, and send him to summer chess camp. He's in his school's chess club, really loves chess, is good at it (at only FIVE) and he'd probably enjoy the experience.

I spent last weekend helping oldest DD (his mom) "declutter" her house. Most of what we got rid of were the kids' toys, clothes, and books. Their stuff encompasses FIVE rooms in the house (seven if you count the breezeway and garage). There are shelves, book cases, bins, and toyboxes in both kids' bedrooms, playroom, the family room, and the living room. It's a really large house, but it's being taken over by toys. Granted, a lot of toys were handed down by an older cousin, and other toys oldest grandson handed down to his little brother (who's 2). But it's still way out of hand. They have toys from Christmas still in the packages, that they've never played with yet.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-21-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents