Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 05:58 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times

Advertisements

When we see our grandsons, we always defer to their Dad before we agree to things like giving them snacks, or if they don't feel well, any over the counter meds, etc.

Recently, we were on the phone chatting with one of our grandsons. He recently got a part-time job which his Dad is fine with as long as grandson keeps up with his schoolwork. Grandson saved his money to buy a good bike and helmet. However, he admitted to us that he never wears his helmet. He said he is careful when riding his bike. We pointed out that was good but he can't count on car drivers to always drive carefully as he uses bike lanes. He won't wear one when riding his bike to school because his school doesn't give them lockers and he doesn't want to lug the helmet around all day.

Of course, since we aren't his parents, we can't demand that he wear his helmet and we don't think his Dad is very concerned.

So...what to do? Say nothing more about it and hope for the best? Talk to his Dad about our concerns?

I appreciate feedback on this issue. In the past, when I wrote about how we intervened and made sure our grandsons were with their Dad due to the situation our daughter put them in, I got an anonymous rep comment accusing me of being self-centered and controlling (which was hurtful to me). Yet, it does concern us that our grandson is out on his bike without a helmet. Both of us want to do the right thing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 06:03 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
I can't tell from your scenario if he lives with you from time to time or just periodically visits. If he lives with your and/or you are otherwise substantially responsible for his well-being for a period of time, then make it a rule as if you were the parent. If a) he's just an occasional visitor and there's nothing approximating a custodial relationship, and b) it's not a rule at his house, then don't force the issue.

Maybe say something like "don't forget your helmet!" every time he heads off on his bike when you're around. Keep doing it every time even if he ignores you; sometimes repetition helps it sink in better than brow-beating.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
You can google "locks for bicycle helmets" and find them everywhere, for 10 bucks or less. He can lock his helmet to his bike while he's at school.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:42 PM

Thank you, both!

Our grandsons live at the other end of the country these days. We talk to them and their Dad once a week. Lately, we haven't been able to talk to the one with the helmet issue very much as he often is at work. When we do talk to him, he is very talkative about things that interest him.

Good idea about saying "Don't forget your helmet". We used to do something similar when they were younger. We used to say to them "Always remember to say please and thank you." Eventually, they got good at remembering to do that.

I didn't know about helmet locks and will mention them to him next time we talk.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:39 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

I didn't know about helmet locks and will mention them to him next time we talk.
Assuming these are “one size fits all” why not buy one on Amazon and have it shipped to him?

Old 05-30-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Assuming these are “one size fits all” why not buy one on Amazon and have it shipped to him?
That's a good idea.^^^^

For an update---we talked to his Dad this weekend and he said that he is now making Grandson wear his helmet every time he rides his bike.

Sadly, however, Grandson was lax about locking up his bike when he went to his part-time job. He thought it would be fine if he hid it behind a sign but someone saw it and stole it. For Grandson, a very expensive lesson learned the hard way

Old 06-03-2023, 07:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
So sorry about your grandson's bike being stolen! And count yourself blessed that they enjoy talking with you on the phone. Some kids grow out of talking with grandma.

That said, be cautious as to what info they share with you that you pass on to their dad. It worked out okay this time, but it may make them not trust you in the future. You don't want to get in the middle. If they tell you something in the future that you have concerns about, suggest that they talk to their dad about it and get his opinion.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So sorry about your grandson's bike being stolen! And count yourself blessed that they enjoy talking with you on the phone. Some kids grow out of talking with grandma.

That said, be cautious as to what info they share with you that you pass on to their dad. It worked out okay this time, but it may make them not trust you in the future. You don't want to get in the middle. If they tell you something in the future that you have concerns about, suggest that they talk to their dad about it and get his opinion.
Good advice, Kara!

If our grandsons tell us they are troubled about something, we always tell them to talk about it with their Dad. We try hard to not get in the middle.

The grandson with the bike issue, as of late, doesn't get to talk to us much now that he has a part-time job. When he does get to talk, he tells us about his hobbies and his finds at the local thrift shop. He enjoys collecting movies and books so we ask him what he has seen or read recently---and he is glad to talk to us about it.

Yes, when they hit the teen years, they don't want to hang out with grandma and grandpa much anymore. We understand---that's how teens are. So...we don't take offense.

Thank you for the feedback

Old 06-10-2023, 01:57 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
First, just because someone on an internet forum calls you names doesn't mean they are right. They don't even know you.

Second, I know the issue is resolved now but I don't think this kind of information qualifies as "said in confidence." A head injury on a bike is life altering for an entire family, including financial ruin or worse, forever mourning a death.

Yes, grandson is being careful but other drivers aren't. He is not yet mature enough to understand.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:01 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Wanting to add, I'm familiar with your story and this background, and I can imagine that Dad welcomes the parental assist on these kinds of matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents