Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,093 times

Advertisements

Years ago I wanted to sit down with my grandmother and interview her so that her great grandchildren would get a chance to see what her life was like. It would be a chance for her to tell her story and leave them her own message. She was my last remaining grandparent and she passed on before I got a chance to make the video. Now I'd like to make a videotape of my parents for their grandchildren and hopefully future generations.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what questions to ask?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Years ago I wanted to sit down with my grandmother and interview her so that her great grandchildren would get a chance to see what her life was like. It would be a chance for her to tell her story and leave them her own message. She was my last remaining grandparent and she passed on before I got a chance to make the video. Now I'd like to make a videotape of my parents for their grandchildren and hopefully future generations.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what questions to ask?.
I think a good idea is to ask your parents (if they have their own camcorder) to just videotape themselves telling about their childhood, their parents and grandparents. Let them do it at their leisure whenever they think of something they would like to pass on..Sometimes when you visit you can ask questions while videotaping..If either one has a hobby, like quilting or carpentry ask them to show those on the video..We have a video of my mil and fil going from room to room of their house and explaining the pictures they have displayed and she brings out her homemade quilts and tells the story of each one...priceless..In one section all their brothers and sisters are in for a reunion and we got some great additions to the video..Got a mixture of the family skeltons, blacksheep and saints

Old 06-21-2008, 08:05 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,574,590 times
Awe gee! I have wished a thousand times we had camcorderes/video stuff when my Grandmother was alive! She use to tell us about her life growing up when WE were kids (I am 62 now) and I wished then that I could have that on film simply because I LOVED listening to her stories. She died in the 1960's of old age and I continue to wish I had her on film so my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren could see her and hear her stories.

I would just sit them down and ask them what school was like when they were kids. What did they do without computers, cell phones and all our modern gadgets. They have seen many new things invented, give a list of them and which one they liked the most and why. How did they meet? When did they get married and what was their wedding like. Who liked who first? What was their parents and grandparents names and what were they like, where were they from... I would make a list and keep them talking for hours so I probably would have to do it in several sessions.. You never know what talking and remembering will jog up other things for them to remember and talk about but most of all, GET THEM on video for the other generations. You have all the tools you can use avaliable today so I strongly urge you to do it.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Well, I was finally able to purchase a camcorder. I'm ready to start recording my parents. I'd like to thank Miss Blue and Laura707 for there suggestions. They both gave me a few idea's I would not have thought of on my own. So I figured I'd ask again if anyone else has any suggestions?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 AM

49 posts, read 171,344 times
Great idea! I gave my grandparents this book "A Grandparent's Legacy: Your Life Story in Your Own Words" to fill out so all their stories wouldn't be lost when they pass. I would suggest a trip to the book store or google "grandparent memory books"....you can steal some of the questions they ask in the books.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
A friend of my parents - since deceased - a very learned man and a University professor, learned that he had Alzheimers. He decided to write his autobiography for the benefit of his children and grandchildren.

He was born in Germany, a German jew, in the 1920s and was sent out of the country by his parents as the Nazi persecution took hold. I was fortunate to be eble to read it ... it was utterly fascinating and sobering at the same time.

A camcorder is fine, but the written word, IMHO, is much more powerful and you are not subject to the whims of technological progress.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 30,755 times
No, but that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish1013 View Post
No, but that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree! I really am going to think of getting one of my parents for future generations. More than questions, it would be nice getting their personalities on film. I wish I had one of my own grandparents or any past generations.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:52 PM

Hi folks, I am bumping this thread. And the reason why is because the holidays are upon us. If you are getting together with your families now is a good time to make a video recording of the family elders to pass down to the future generations.

There is an old saying "The biggest mistake we make is thinking we have time". In other words do it before it is too late.

When I made this thread years ago I made a video of my parents to pass down and when I looked at it recently, the audio quality was not really good. And my Mom did almost all the talking lol. Unfortunately Dad is no longer with us, but I am going to use it as opportunity for Mom to share her memories of him.

It is also kind of comical looking reading the original posts of us chatting about camcorder and being lucky enough to have access to one. In comparison to these days where cameras are everywhere.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
No, but I wrote our first granddaughter a letter she can open when she's 16 whether I'm still alive or not. (my daughter in law's suggestion)

I am taking her for riding lessons next year. (She'll be 8) I'm hoping she'll be a horse-lover like I am. I also wrote and published a horse book dedicated to her, for her to read when she's older, and to have as a keepsake for when I'm gone.

Then I wrote the sequel and dedicated it to her younger sister.

If they have kids of their own, I think/hope they'll cherish what their great granny wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents