U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2008, 12:40 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,791,550 times

Advertisements

I have one grandaughter that was my pride and joy and did everything with her grandma. I watched her 4 or 5 times a week when her mom was at work. That's pretty much all I did in the evenings and I planned all my activities around her.....I absolutely loved it! Then I got remarried and had to move 1200 miles away. I was excited about my marriage but after being here and missing my grandaughter (along with my 5 older children) I thought my world was over. I didnt realize it would be so hard. Knowing that after my husband retires, we might be a little closer (at least in the same state 4 hours away) is keeping my spirits up. It has been the hardest year of my life being away from her. She is 5 and I didn't want her to forget me, so I started buying 2 copies of childrens books, one for me and then I mail the other one to her. We have about 10 sets of books. Every night I let her pick which book and I read to her and say her prayers. It's so fun because she doesn't want to miss a night of that time with me. Even when we travel or she does we take a book along for that nightly time together. It has been a life savor for me and gives me that quality time with her. Sorry for the long post, but once I get going, I can't stop.

I dont want her to forget me! Do any of you grandparents have other ideas to keep the relationships with your grandchildren alive if you live far away?

Would love to hear from you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:51 PM

220 posts, read 428,778 times
Chickrae....I too am a distant Grammy. My first grandson was born in April, they live in Seattle, I in California. I've just discovered Skype. I downloaded this on the internet, it is free from one computer to the other. There is a charge if u use cell phones or land lines. If u have speakers and a webcam, it is great. I can see them, talk to them and they can seeand hear me. I just love it. It makes up for all the miles we have separating us, doesn't give the warm cuddles but it's the next best thing. I'm sure you'll agree. Grandmas are a special breed aren't we? Good luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,852,489 times
One thing that my MIL does to keep herself "fresh" in the kid's minds... she sends each of them postcards, about once every two weeks. There are photos of all our family members on the walls and when they were small, this helped them remember between visits.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
Chickrae....I too am a distant Grammy. My first grandson was born in April, they live in Seattle, I in California. I've just discovered Skype. I downloaded this on the internet, it is free from one computer to the other. There is a charge if u use cell phones or land lines. If u have speakers and a webcam, it is great. I can see them, talk to them and they can seeand hear me. I just love it. It makes up for all the miles we have separating us, doesn't give the warm cuddles but it's the next best thing. I'm sure you'll agree. Grandmas are a special breed aren't we? Good luck.

That sounds great. I never heard of that. I have been wanting to get the webcam. My daughter doesn't have a computer, so that would be the first step. That would be really fun for reading stories also.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
One thing that my MIL does to keep herself "fresh" in the kid's minds... she sends each of them postcards, about once every two weeks. There are photos of all our family members on the walls and when they were small, this helped them remember between visits.
Good idea, since my grandaughter still doesn't understand where I went all she knows is that "someone took my grandma far far away". I think if she saw pictures of us here and what we are doing it would help

Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,512,464 times
My granddaughter turnes 1 Sept 7th. I've started writing her letters. My DIL says she reads them to her and will save them for when she's older.
I mentioned her daddy coming home and what a good job her mommy did when daddy was deployed, how excited we were that we were going to see her in a month, week, etc.
It's been fun! And everybody likes getting a letter in the mail.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,636,724 times
I am a mom of the only grandaughter and we are far away from all our family. SKYPE has been a HUGE part of our daugher knowing grandparents as well as Aunts and Uncles. We are on it at least twice a week with someone. I very much second the idea of SKYPE! Your grandchild can not only talk to you, but see what you look like while you are talking!!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I am a mom of the only grandaughter and we are far away from all our family. SKYPE has been a HUGE part of our daugher knowing grandparents as well as Aunts and Uncles. We are on it at least twice a week with someone. I very much second the idea of SKYPE! Your grandchild can not only talk to you, but see what you look like while you are talking!!!!!
SKYPE sounds like something I need to check in to.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
My granddaughter turnes 1 Sept 7th. I've started writing her letters. My DIL says she reads them to her and will save them for when she's older.
I mentioned her daddy coming home and what a good job her mommy did when daddy was deployed, how excited we were that we were going to see her in a month, week, etc.
It's been fun! And everybody likes getting a letter in the mail.
and

Writing letters would be a good idea. I am doing a scrapbook for my grandaughter and putting birthday cards, pictures, school work, awards etc in it for her, since scrapbooking is one of my hobbies anyways. I could put the letters I sent her in the book too at a later date so she could always have them

Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 PM

543 posts, read 1,424,328 times
My in-laws live 200 miles away and my dad 100 miles from us. Although dad lived here in town until retirement. My kids would call their grandparents at least once a week, especially after they started school and would tell them all the exciting things that were happening. We were lucky that they did live close enough we would see them every 6 weeks or so and spend the holidays with them. MIL would take the kids for a week or 2 in the summer. My dad would take them once they got older as he lives on the lake and worried that something could happen, especially since one of my boys was a sleep walker. My dad and oldest son are very close and DD is very close with my MIL. By the time the youngest 2 came along, the novelty of being a grandparent had kind of worn off! My younger 2 boys are closer with their older brother and sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents