Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times

Advertisements

Sharing the visits would be a treat, my daughter always use the 'alibi' that she can't bring her
6 hrs away because of her hectic work schedules and the fact that she has to pay tuition and that would be a major loss finacially. ( I've even offered to pay my grand's tuition for her.
Still waiting, she says that she will have to wait until she goes to the first grade and then mabye the following summer. btw my daughter has always been a selfish only child, her mjor concerns are "herself" and everyone second....
I have to either take a bus or fly, driving is a chore for me nowadays. nut this is the only chance I get to see the love of my life' Grand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I suppose it depends on the situation. I am an adult daughter and mother of preschools who moved away from the grandparents. Since we are the ones who moved away, I feel a certain obligation to travel back to visit. However, the grandparents are retired, and like to travel, so they visit us fairly often, too. If I understand your situation correctly, it is the grandparents who moved away, not you. Since there are only 2 of them, and they are the ones who left, I think they should do most of the traveling. I'm sorry that they don't seem to feel the need very often.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
In my situation I am the one who stays locally to my parents (both 82), my sister lives in town with her son who is 26 with two kids of his own ( going through an odd divorce). My brother is out of state ( 2 day drive ) with his two kids both in High School oldest to graduate this may.

Mom and dad do no more traveling out of state. To hard on them. They get disoreinted and confused. They never traveled well together and niether hear all that well... so most of the travel part would be yelling at each other. Lets face it dad just agrivates the heck out mom when they travel. They don't travel seperately any more either since they would have to travel alone. I have to stay with one or the other and so can't travel with the single traveler.
I want to take mom up to Ohio to visit her family but can't leave dad home alone ( he is accident prone and loves to chop down trees ).
Now my brother in Iowa, he and his family say that mom and dad will have to go visit them since the kids are all trying to get summer jobs. Mom says they (her and dad) won't be traveling anywhere. So that is where that stands. I figure once the grandkids get more freedom they will come down and visit on thier own. My brother... I have no clue when he will come down. but that is THEIR choice not to visit mom and dad.
As for my sister, we try to make time depending on her work schedule to see her for lunch. He son only visits mom and dad when he has to or he wants money. (btw Bank is closed to him, now). the great grandkids only after a major fight with the somewhat ex wife (Easter was a pain).
Lets just face no matter what the situation is unless all parties agree life between family units is never easy, no matter how close or how far away. When mom was younger and I lived in Italy she came to visit and I came back to visit for my brothers wedding. Now they are both older and well traveling is extremely tiring and hard to take. So much to consider; meds, doctor appoitments, health, weather, temperature, the travel schedule, what to pack, keeping home and hearth safe, etc. I know there is more to concider but my parents don't travel any more so I forgot the list.

I would think if the families could afford it get those webcast phones. Use that every weekend and stay in touch. It isn't the same but when ever my brother calls it means so much to my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents