Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry - it sounds like such a painful situation. Why not ask your Dad what the situation is? If you find you can't have a relationship with your grandmother I would encourage you to "adopt" an older person, maybe a neighbor or someone you meet by volunteering to work with the elderly. You can have a grandparent type relationship with someone who is not your blood relation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
My grandmother tottaly hates me!!!ever since my sister was born she all of a sudden starts treating me like ****! and here is what she does when my mom isnt home: she yells at me,pushes me,bosses me around,she cusses at me in spanish,she crys to make me fell guilty about how a ****ing screwed up person i grew up to be!!!!!i hate her sooo much!!!!>:-[ all i know is that woman is somehow out to get
me!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
My own mother is 87 and has mild dementia. She's always been paranoid that people take advantage of her and has always been very self-centered. I love her but that's just the facts. She only cares about herself and her children are simply people to fulfill her needs. She has been widowed for about 7 years now and has become more difficult. She doesn't care at all about grandchildren; if anything they are a distraction that gets in the way of her own children having time for her. If I mention my son or granddaughter in a conversation she'll politely ask "how old is she/he?" and then quickly changes the subject. She gets no enjoyment from hearing stories about them and has stated she doesn't like "company" and will not visit us....just wants me and my brother to come to her house and take care of anything broken. I make sure my son understands his grandmother is just a mental and emotional midget and he is blessed not to share her challenges. She is simply not capable of loving the way most functional people love. Very likely your grandmother is the same. I also get a Christmas card and birthday card from my mother.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
My father's mother has never met me.
Ever.
I will be twenty next year, and I have never spoken to her, never met her, never gotten a Christmas card, never seen a picture. She has never seen me, my twin, or my older sister. I don't even know her name. Her and my father don't talk, but they still get a Christmas card. All I want is a Christmas card that says, "Hi! I'm Grandma. I think of you always, and am wishing you a Merry Christmas." That's all I want.
She is close to 100 years old, and I don't mind. I love grandparents. I just wish mine would be in my life a little bit more, ya know?
My mother's mother passed away when I was eight years old, and I miss her every single day. I always get all mopey when I come here, because I think about her. She was the coolest woman I'd ever met - aside from my own mother. She had a baby in 1938, when she was sixteen; she named him John, and gave him up for adoption. Twenty years later, she had another son, and also named him John. Ten years after that, the first son found my grandmother, so now I have two Uncle Johns, both are terrible health, but still happy. My father's father passed away when I was ten or so, and I cried and cried, even though I'd never met him. They live in Delaware, but that's not problematic as my mom's a stewardess, and I could be in Delaware tomorrow, if I so pleased. My mother's father.. well, he died, I guess. I think he died when my mom was a kid, so I've never met him either. I just wonder what they'd be like. Now, that my dad's mom is the only one left of my grandparents; I'd like to just meet her, because she passes away, ya know? My family is so happy, but sometimes, I feel empty. There's my dad's mom, my dad's two bothers and their wives or kids (who I've never met. Ever.), my parents, my mom's three brothers, and their three wives, my two sisters, my two nephews, and me. My dad's sister died when she was twenty-one; she had kidney failure or something. My parents are just such good parents, so I just want to know how their parents treated them, ya know?

Bless your heart, I would ask dad to get me in touch before she passes . This is not fair to you . Death is final so get in touch and ' IF ' she is a witch , it's her loss .

Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I agree with Granny Sue, and now that you're almost 20 why don't YOU seek her out..I'll bet if you went to see her she would be thrilled to know you.....but don't wait too long

Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I think it's pretty safe to say that the OP isn't interested in responses anymore. She created this thread in 2008 (almost 3 years ago), and her last post on city-data was in November of 2008 (two years ago).

Old 04-16-2014, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
My grandmother is the worst. As I start to grow older she always talk about me to the family, even when I am right there. She always complains to everyone of what I do, continuously even if the event happened weeks ago. It's probably because she hates my mother and because I am like my mother, she hates me too. She spits at the floor, watches old movies everyday in loud volume, and does nothing. She has this stick to hit me. When I complain to my parents that she hits me, she always lies saying "no." Not only for this, she never takes any blame at all. Whenever something goes wrong, she says it is not her and said it was me. She loves my brother and cousins though and acts nice toward them in front of me. I go to a prestigious school and yet she doesn't believes it because I am a girl. Every time I talk to her, she uses my word against me to other people. She always asks people for free meals to restaurants, being the greedy person she is. I mean every single sentence she speaks of, is relating to money. She also thinks I am a ****, even though I don't have any guy friends at all. Not only that she yells at the neighbors non-stop, banging her stick and screaming on the top of her lungs "No Parking" and "Stop". She is so crazy, and I've lived with her since I was born. At least I am nothing like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents