U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,213,282 times

Advertisements

There was a gap between when my kids all left home, all five of them, and when grand children came on the scene. the kids are now 29 to 40.
I'm babysitting today, a 2 1/2 year old and seven month old (who is napping)
I was looking around at how the house has changed. My living room that was really quite nice now has bins under each peice of furniture. My bedroom has a crib in it and the lower shelves of all the bookcases are full of toys.
What changes have you seen since grand children have arrived????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,202,746 times
LOL, I still had three kids at home(teenagers 15,16 and 18) when my other teenager aged 17 had my first grand. she had been married since 4 days after her 16 birthday...Without my permission, but her dad signed for her Thats another thread

Any way that was 25 years ago,....I began raising the grands then so had no time between..Now I finally have the "empty nest syndrom' and I am 66... Won't last long though, my first great grandson will be here any day and I have happily agreed to babysit beginning in January when Momma goes back to college Gotta get a crib for the guest room, a few blankets, supplies , etc....

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM

That's amazing, I can't even picture that. I had about a five or so year gap. Everything was back to clean and organized. Well not any more..LOL. But than I decided who cares if the house is clean all the time. The grandkids are sure more important that being concerned how tidy everything is. I have to really work at it since I have a Bed and Breakfast. Most guests are only on the week ends but it is a mad rush when I have guests to get everything back in the bins and the crumbs swept up.
The other thing I notice is how many batteries it take to run all this stuff I have a whole section in the frig just for batteries. Then of course I am trying to be a good citizen and recycle so I have another place in the pantry to put the used ones.
I need AAA right now!

Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
I thought I was the only one who had a battery collection!

During the time my daughter lived with me (until just recently), I forgot how much of your house you lose to such a tiny baby. It is funny how all those baby things used make me feel like my house was cluttered when I had my own children, but when I see all of the grandson's things.....they make me smile. I like looking at his stuff.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:24 PM

Of course along with those batteries you need that "tiny" screwdriver to get those darn itty bitty screws out.
Plus suddenly I have all this little silverware and an assortment of cups with lids...I really try to keep them together but I still lose them.
Plus the potty seat, of course ours has pictures of Dora on it ...I have to remember to take it off the guest toilet before the next guest comes

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,840,616 times
Every day brings new joy and immeasurable blessings.
Now, if I could only master the stroller handles, car seat latch, straps, buckles and restraints...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM

452 posts, read 2,090,713 times
I am a parent, not a grandparent, but what I see at my mother in law's house is just a stash of diapers and wipes, and some toys in the spare bedroom, and maybe a sippy cup in the kitchen cabinet. (I am an extremely hands on mom, and I don't have the grandparents babysit except when absolutely necessary, and they seem to like it this way and happy just visiting with the kids rather than being caretakers). Oh, my mother in law does have a carseat for my 4 year old but not for the baby, because she helps me out a lot by taking her to preschool-- I am grateful that although she doesn't babysit much, she does little things that help out SOOO much--for example, it's very cold in the mornings and my 11 month old has had a nasty cold so my mother in law has been picking up my 4 year old and taking her to and from preschool so I don't have to drag the baby out. That is extremely helpful!

And I like it this way--it works well for all involved. I honestly don't think I would be happy for the grandparents to be such caretakers that they have baby gear such as cribs set up at their house permanently- it would be different if I was not a stay at home mom, but since I take on the role on raising my kids full time, I don't need someone to step in that much. If I had to work-it would be different. (I also don't think my mother in law WOULD give up her own time to babysit grandkids- but I am fine with this- she is as involved with the kids as she wants to be, and so am I)...

For my parents there is no change in their house as I never let them alone with the kids. (with reason)

Old 11-29-2008, 06:17 PM

303 posts, read 868,129 times
This is a thread my wife and I can relate to. We are in our fifties and when we were much younger, I put all our good "knick-nacks" in storage in the basement. 31 years later, they are still down stairs in storage! My large back yard is full of swing play stuff~

A trampoline, playskool rocket ship, lil tikes log cabin playhouse, monkey bars, pool, basket ball hoop one for the big ones, and a small toodler size,a big plastic boat with a 4 child capacity, and a sand pile.

Our living room goodness, two large bins of toys in the living room, a bedroom modified into a playroom, diapers and accessories in accessible areas, the kitcken shelf not only has my grapnuts ceral but about 8 assorted kiddie type brands! Upstairs rooms also play rooms and a air hockey table in the basement!

Our place looks like a young couple living here. I would not have it any other way.Still making memories for them...and us as well.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Good for you!! That's how I feel also. We have so many toys in bins. We have a crib in our bedroom. We also have a B&B and the clean up is a real challenge. I'm starting just to say, "oh we have grandchildren" And like you I have brought up old toys I had stored. I used to collect old Fisher Price toys and the grandkids just love all the old stuff. It's just as fun now as it was in the 60's and 70's. This is the time of life just to enjoy

Old 12-08-2008, 05:55 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
31% of seniors are raising their grandkids (AARP stats)
the golden years are not happening.
the fig trees did not fruit this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or