Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

My one son & dil are coming home for the weekend of Feb 13-15th
They would like to get together for dinner with us and my other two sons and thier wives.

I'm supposed to make dinner reservations. the 1 DIL I assumed was going to have her parents or sister babysit the baby, 6 months old..yikes we are meeting for drinks and then were going to have dinner around 7-7:30..she wants to bring the baby!!!

I emailed her to see if she was still going to bring baby as it would decide where we are going to eat..I think she's miffed because she said she doesn't see why bringing the baby would alter my choice of restaurants..HELLO...I don't want other people glaring at us if the munchkin get fussy..hubbie says if she shows up with the baby we are going to McDonalds...lol

Her parents & sister are always willing to babysit...should I just grit my teeth and grin & bear it...maybe I'll fein illnes and stay home

I love my grandbaby but I don't think this is the time or place for baby to come with us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
One of two things will happen.

#1 the baby will be a real doll and won't make a bit of trouble.
#2 the evening will be a disaster and she will have learned a lesson (we hope).
And you won't be the mean old mother-in-law.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
I would say listen to what she is saying to you, and make whatever reservation you want to make. The plus is, you're not the baby's mother, so if dirty looks are given they will be at your DIL not you. . Truthfully, at that time of night, the baby might just sleep through dinner. Mine is 8 months and she would just sleep in her carrier. Is this their first baby? She'll learn . Have a couple drinks, enjoy your night out, and be glad that you won't be the one to have to eat a cold dinner if the baby needs to be fed.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I would say listen to what she is saying to you, and make whatever reservation you want to make. The plus is, you're not the baby's mother, so if dirty looks are given they will be at your DIL not you. . Truthfully, at that time of night, the baby might just sleep through dinner. Mine is 8 months and she would just sleep in her carrier. Is this their first baby? She'll learn . Have a couple drinks, enjoy your night out, and be glad that you won't be the one to have to eat a cold dinner if the baby needs to be fed.
yes it is the first child...BUT..the bolded part she will let the baby cry if other people are around and say quote unquote " You can pick him up" urgh!!

Ok I'll grin & bear it..hopefully he will sleep if he doesn't & gets fussy..well I know my husband we will be getting our dinner in to go boxes and leaving

Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One of two things will happen.

#1 the baby will be a real doll and won't make a bit of trouble.
#2 the evening will be a disaster and she will have learned a lesson (we hope).
And you won't be the mean old mother-in-law.

I'm hoping for option # 1

Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
yes it is the first child...BUT..the bolded part she will let the baby cry if other people are around and say quote unquote " You can pick him up" urgh!!

Ok I'll grin & bear it..hopefully he will sleep if he doesn't & gets fussy..well I know my husband we will be getting our dinner in to go boxes and leaving
Serious??? I mean no disrespect, but I never understand people like that. LOL. I'm partly jealous that I am just not able to do that!! I hope you have a nice dinner. So where are you going to go?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Serious??? I mean no disrespect, but I never understand people like that. LOL. I'm partly jealous that I am just not able to do that!! I hope you have a nice dinner. So where are you going to go?
Not sure..we live in North Jersey & hubbie is fond of this little Portuguese restaurant in Hopatcong called the Ridgewood..they also have your usual steaks & chops too

Old 02-04-2009, 02:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
Either way you go you lose here. If you protest and the baby don't fuss..you are mean.
If you protest and the baby does fuss..then your hubby won't be happy nor will anyone else.
All you can hope for is that she will learn.

Your other alternative would be to have drinks and a nice dinner catered "to go" from most restaurants at home. Say you didn't feel like going out or something. But that will keep you at home and baby won't be a problem.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My one son & dil are coming home for the weekend of Feb 13-15th
They would like to get together for dinner with us and my other two sons and thier wives.

I'm supposed to make dinner reservations. the 1 DIL I assumed was going to have her parents or sister babysit the baby, 6 months old..yikes we are meeting for drinks and then were going to have dinner around 7-7:30..she wants to bring the baby!!!

I emailed her to see if she was still going to bring baby as it would decide where we are going to eat..I think she's miffed because she said she doesn't see why bringing the baby would alter my choice of restaurants..HELLO...I don't want other people glaring at us if the munchkin get fussy..hubbie says if she shows up with the baby we are going to McDonalds...lol

Her parents & sister are always willing to babysit...should I just grit my teeth and grin & bear it...maybe I'll fein illnes and stay home

It's her prerogative if she wants to bring the baby because then she will take care of the baby appropriately. It is not her prerogative to assume someone will babysit before it's been agreed.

I love my grandbaby but I don't think this is the time or place for baby to come with us
It's her prerogative if she wants to bring the baby because then she will take care of the baby appropriately. It is not her prerogative to assume someone will babysit before it's been agreed.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

[quote=Aylalou;7321628]It's her prerogative if she wants to bring the baby because then she will take care of the baby appropriately. It is not her prerogative to assume someone will babysit before it's been agreed.

Ah very true but this started out as an ADULT night out for 8 adults..she could have declined..lord knows I sure did when my were wee ones and I didn't feel it was appropiate for them to be somewhere..we are meeting at a BAR @ 6 for cocktails first..sorry but don't think a BAR is a place for a baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents