U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 PM

79 posts, read 144,845 times
Default visits from Grandma

Because I live so far from my grandchildren (me-NM,them-NY) when I do visit I try my best to make it count.Granddaughter is 4yrs and grandson is still a baby,8mos. I just bought a yoga dvd for children so my girl and I can do yoga daily.Her dad said she'll probably love it seeing how she loves to dance.We always have so much fun and I feel we are making memories so I do my best to try to be creative and come up with new ideas.Anyone have some good ideas for entertaining a 4 year old they would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,713,533 times
Crafts! Most young children love to cut, glue, paint and color. Unfortunately, this soon becomes old for the parents (especially the set-up and clean-up).

You can also see if there is a tea-room in town and get all dressed up together for tea (or even just a coffee shop).

I just picked up a book called Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane. It isn't the best book overall, but the idea is neat--basically it plants the idea of building tiny, natural "houses" for fairies in the woods. If they live in a rural area, it might be a fun activity to read the book and then work on one together.

Going along with the craft idea, you could work on a family or memory mobile--one for each of you. Collect the tops of plastic tubs (from things like cottage cheese, margarine, yogurt, etc.). Punch a hole toward the edge to loop string through. Then take photos of family that lives far away or photos from your week together (and maybe some from your home) and glue them on. If they aren't large enough, you might choose to first glue down colored paper covering the entire lid, then the photo. Then string them together with fishing line or colorful ribbon.

You may also want to see if her parents are interested in having a "daughter day" and a "son day." Especially when there is a new sibling, it is nice for both the parents and child to have a time to be just the three of them again--or time to just be able to focus on the ever-changing baby like they did with their first. Having Grandma in town not only provides babysitting, it also makes the sibling left behind not feel left behind because it becomes a special Grandma day (or afternoon)!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM

8,183 posts, read 11,025,605 times
How about a day out! Is there a local zoo? A hands on activity center? A petting zoo?
A tea party in the park or even the back yard.

Love the craft idea!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,331,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmypets View Post
Because I live so far from my grandchildren (me-NM,them-NY) when I do visit I try my best to make it count.Granddaughter is 4yrs and grandson is still a baby,8mos. I just bought a yoga dvd for children so my girl and I can do yoga daily.Her dad said she'll probably love it seeing how she loves to dance.We always have so much fun and I feel we are making memories so I do my best to try to be creative and come up with new ideas.Anyone have some good ideas for entertaining a 4 year old they would like to share?

Yes anything but Yoga;
there are many things that the two of you could do (dancing) tell her that she's a ballerina and buy the gear, put on some of her favorite music and watch her go
My 4yr old grand loves the ballerina idea, and it's benign, I believe that you should not introduce her to yoga .

Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,960,254 times
How about you and her create her own little flower garden? You could get a small trough like planter that she could fill with all sorts of annuals. Go to a local nursery and let her pick out flowers and plants that she likes. By 4 she is getting old enough to be able to take care of them with some assistance. My 2yo. grand daughter loves plants and flowers and she loves to help Mema plant them, water them and pick them.

The crafts idea is also a fantastic idea. If you do not want to deal with the set up and clean up, you could check to see if there is a family center near by your grand daughter's house and see if they have craft days/times that you could go to.

The petting zoo is also a fun idea.

You could also make silly videos. My girls at that age loved to be in front of the camera singing and dancing. You could dress up in fancy or funny outfits and have some fun.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,713,533 times
Umm...yoga is great for young children--they make videos just for little kids.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 AM

20,736 posts, read 17,856,651 times
Bake cookies. I loved baking with my grandparents. My grandma would let me measure out the ingredients and read the recipe to dictate what to do next. Oatmeal cookies with dried fruit, yum!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM

7,343 posts, read 7,550,078 times
We have a yoga for kids tape and my daughter loved it when she was smaller and begged me to do it with her.

She also liked any sort of pretend game--restaurant, where we'd take turns playing the waitress and the customer; baby/mama (before it came to mean what it means today) where I'd usually be the baby and she'd be the mama, school, doctor's office (she mostly liked calling me back into the exam room, for some reason), vet's office--really any type of role-playing game where she was familiar with the characters.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM

20,736 posts, read 17,856,651 times
Another one: I looooved playing dress-up at my gradparents' house. A dresser drawer in one of the bedroom held some old clothes and a box of old costume jewelry. Scarves, some high heels, brooches, a couple of skirts and blouses, a shawl, some chunky necklaces, bangle bracelets, gloves ... I played with those clothes for hours and gave my grandparents fashion shows or acted out little plays I made up.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 AM

5,567 posts, read 7,798,279 times
Lots of good ideas here! Crafts, baking, dancing, gardening... start a leaf collection, go on nature walks, get pedicures together, play beauty salon or dress-up, go for bike rides...

Things that she could keep and look back on when she's older (or that you could keep for her and give to her when she's older, for a high school graduation gift, perhaps?) are really good things. Take lots of pictures and the making video's idea is a good one, too. Put on plays, sing songs, memorize poems. Read books, make books! Begin a scrapbook together. Everytime you visit add to it, and through the years it'll grow and grow... give it to her as a gift when she's much older and will appreciate it a lot.

You can get all dressed up and go to a local dance performance together - is there a children's theater or ballet school near you that puts on performances geared towards families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents