U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,569,894 times
Default What does it mean to be a grandparent?

All grandparents are different...Each culture and each family has different expectations when it comes to how grandparents are suppose to act...and what they are suppose to do etc....What type of grandparent are you? What does your family expect from you? What do you expect from your family? What were your grandparents like when you were growing up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM

1,738 posts, read 5,328,110 times
I am not a grandparent ...I am a new-er parent(toddler and baby on board).
my grandparents and greats on both sides were amazing. they let my parents parent and spoiled, loved and guided us. They took on the roll as grandparents beautifully and soaked us all up individually(took individual kids for overnights or little summer trips and would rotate which kid went next). my parents are like this with my child and I love it. They adore her and play and just enjoy being a part of her life w/o stepping on my toes or giving unsolicited advice. It's ideal for everyone involved and so much fun.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,562 times
Default Kidlandia Maps - A Fun Activity to do with Your Grandchildren

Making Personalized Kidlandia Maps is a wonderful activity for grandparents and grandchildren to enjoy spending time together while making a family keepsake. Kidlandia.com allows participants to create custom imaginary kingdoms on maps and puzzles. The names of the regions are custom made to fit into your family, like "Anna Island" and "Tucker River." Include every member of the family, including pets and nicknames.

Your grandchildren will love these maps for the fun and personalization as well as the memory of making something truly unique with you!

Kidlandia.com

Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM

592 posts, read 879,824 times
I was a typical suburban homemaker with part time jobs here and there when my children got older, but basically was a Stay-at-home Mom. I was dedicated to being that and loved every minute of raising my children. Now that I'm a grandmother, and have been for the past 10 years, I love it, too. And, that's exactly what I want to be--a grandmother--and not a mother all over again. So, from the onset in what I hope was a gentle way I gave the indication that I did not want to be constant daycare for my children's children. And, they've always honored that. Not that I don't gladly pitch in to take care of them now and then because I do, and on that basis I look forward to those times. But for me, in general, I like to be able to choose when I'm going to spend time with them, because there's nothing like being able to give my all to them when I'm with my grands and then go home and take a nap afterward!

I think I'm probably the one person who has introduced nature to all four of my grands. We take long walks on beaches and wooded paths. There's nothing like those settings to relax them and let their minds wander. They come out with the most fabulously funny, and often clever, gems that way. Watching them explore the world around them, listening to the often brilliant deductions they make, and simply hearing their stories is all priceless to me. Such days always include a stop for lunch or ice cream, too, of course.

On Saturday evenings one of my absolutely wonderful DILs instituted "Family Movie Night". I get to sit on the smaller sofa flanked by a grandchild on each side and their King Cavalier sprawled across my lap watching children's movies and eating popcorn. Bliss!

All four of my grands know that grandma is an artist, so they love doing art projects with my materials when they come over. Overnights, when Mom and Dad have something special to do, are always fun and packed with all of the above. DH takes the older ones to museums and airshows by himself in his sports car which seems to be a big thrill to them.

What I think is most important in being a grandparent, along with it's general blessings, is to try to set aside time alone with each grandchild separately as often as possible doing something fun with them. You're then able to give them your undistracted and full attention which makes them feel very special.

I also try to attend their baseball games, ballet classes, and any kind of play or ceremony they're in. I think it must feel mighty good for any child to not only have Mom and Dad in their corner cheering them on through life but to also have the love and support of these other special people, their grandparents. Who wouldn't love a personal cheering section composed of people who adore your every move?!!

There's nothing like seeing their faces light up and hearing, " Yea! Grandma's (and/or Grandpa's) here!" when you drive up?!!" Our little ones are often waiting out on the front lawn for us with any gear they have with them when they know they're having a "special day" with grandma or grandpa. They know they're going to be king and queen for the day and they eat it up.

Lastly, you asked what kind of grandparents did we have. I had what I'll term emotionally detached grandparents on one side. Even though that grandmother lived with us for 4 years after my grandfather died, and she wasn't unkind by any means, I don't remember her very well and thoughts of her don't conjure up any "warm fuzzies" for me. On the other side, however, I had two warm and loving grandparents who played with me, gave me their attention, seemed to love babysitting for me when my parents went out for the night, and spoiled me with a gift now and then for no reason. They made me feel loved and cherished and even though that grandmother died when I was 6 I remember her very well and with lots of warm fuzzies . I think all four of my grandparents, in their own way, greatly influenced what kind of grandparent I am.

And, I'd like to say, "God Bless both of my daughter-in laws". We've been blessed with two very wonderful ones who are devoted mothers and they both encourage our relationship with our grandchildren in so many ways.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,587,686 times
JudiPatooti, you sound like a wonderful grandmother! Again, I have to agree with you of what a grandmother is. I think this is how it should be.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM

592 posts, read 879,824 times
Thank you, I try to be, but then they're so adorable that I don't have to "try" hard!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,562 times
Default Spending time with your grandchildren this Summer?

A great way to spend your Summer, which is already upon us, is to spend some quality time with your grandchildren on Kidlandia.com and create personalized products such as canvas art, world maps, puzzles, place mats, blankets, growth charts, play clips, and greeting cards!

The products are designed to fuse technology and education in a way that enhances a child's curiosity, imagination, knowledge and creative thinking. It's a great Summer activity and you'll both love what you can make. Have the whole family join in.

Kidlandia | Personalize Your World!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 AM

156 posts, read 134,837 times
Growing up my grandfather (maternal side) lived with us off and on. He and I were pretty close and I have wonderful memories of him(he died when I was 8). My grandfather paternal side had already passed away. Neither grandmother were detached--no feelings towards grand-kids so neither spent any time with us.

On the other hand both my husband and I love being grandparents. I play with my grand-kids, read to them and have the 7 year old read to us, take them swimming, etc. We babysit them in the summer months while they are out of school. One is 4 the other 7. We have a wonderful time together. We do school work during the summer break, go to the library and learn each day about something they choose. Like last week our grandson wanted to know what Roly Poly's ate. We found out they weren't bugs at all...he loved reading about it. We signed them up for swimming lessons and take them. Last year I was ill during the summer months and the babysitter they had would go to the library but that was about it. She didn't like being outside, etc. So when their parents mentioned babysitter-they weren't happy--but I told them they are coming to Mimi & Papa's Day Camp. They were thrilled. Both my husband and I feel truly blessed to have them in our lives. They are very good kids.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:14 AM

156 posts, read 134,837 times
Grandparents should be filled with love, hugs and kisses, and take time to listen to the questions, ideas and comments of the grand-kids. . They should also make their daughter-in-law and son's life better too by following the same rules. (even if your not in love with the idea) It keeps things consistent for the grand-kids. We babysit our grandchildren during the summer months and have found it to be a joy! We make kind of a schedule so the grand-kids know what to expect for the day.

Being able to spend time with them is such a blessing!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM

371 posts, read 349,228 times
I think being a grandfather means being someone who will spend an hour with a three year old throwing stones into a puddle and watching bugs. All the things I wish I'd had the time for with my children, I can do with my grandsons.

When I was small, one grandfather had already passed away, the other was a mean SOB (my earliest memory is of being afraid of him). I try to give "the boys" what I never had as a young man, unconditional love mixed with a little guidance. They end up giving me more in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents