Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here are the Americans, the most criminally-minded people in the world, who insist that they are so pure and lily-white that they can declare themselves to be the policemen of the world, and use force of arms to make everyone else behave just like ourselves.
Since we Americans are so contemptable, maybe you would be more comfortable in Mexico.

The prison system is the most lucrative industry the states have.

Prisoners are very well entertained and well taken care of while incarcerated.

Put the two together and we have full prisons with the need for more, a broken justice system that puts people up in Hotel Prison for decades, people who like it there, and tons of federal money to support it all.

States can't afford to minimize anything about prisons or prisoners. Shoot, we can't even execute without years of wiping the nose of the murderer on death row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Since we Americans are so contemptable, maybe you would be more comfortable in Mexico.

The prison system is the most lucrative industry the states have.

Prisoners are very well entertained and well taken care of while incarcerated.
Hey---it was pretzelogic who said:

" we have more crime per capita"

I was only drawing conclusions from his premise.

And. yes, I do feel more comfortable in Mexico than in the USA. People in Mexico have more freedom than people in America, and are friendlier and more honest. My reasons for not living there permanently are unrelated to crime issues. I have more important day-to-day concerns than murder rates.

Keep in mind that the lucrative prison industry does not make for coddled prisoners. Private prisons get $70K prisoner, and have an incentive to keep the ones they've got. "Good behavior" is not a condition they look forward to, it leads to early release and a cutoff of revenue. Private prisons have standard policies of making prisoners so uncomfortable and frustrated, good behavior is nearly impossible. They don't want anybody leaving before their time is up. And they don't pay for premium channels and large screen HDs, and lobster once a week, like you think they do.

Think about it. If prisons were so "lucrative", why would that make them spend more money to coddle prisoners?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-15-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Privately owned prisons are completely absurd. They are just another way to funnel public money into private profits. By having the prison system profitable the incentives are wrong. Instead of rehabilitating prisoners private companies will do everything to keep people imprisoned. I wonder how may police and prosecutors are bribed to collect and jail low level criminals so the private prison system makes money instead of concentrating their efforts on violent crimes and business fraud.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 PM

396 posts, read 1,034,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Per capita, USA puts more people in prison than any other country in the world.
Prisoners per capita (most recent) by country

Per capita, we have more than ten times as many people in prison as Japan or Norway.

That doesn't sound "too easy" on criminals, to me. Unless Americans are the most criminal people in the world, which is quite possible.

He's never even been in the USA, so how are these two statements connected?
That's a great point... I'm a little embarassed...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
I wonder how many of you all have been in prison...I have known several people who have been in prison. The conditions are not luxurious. They sleep on metal beds, have one room where there is a television. Maybe some have their own tv, but they have to be clear all over so the guards can see there is nothing hidden in there. No matter what you read in the paper, early release equals one day or one day and a half earlier than their expected release date.

Those are just a few things, and I am not trying to take up for prisoners or say they need better condition. Not saying that at all.

My problem with this whole deal is that sentencing for people who have committed the same crimes are different in severity. I suppose it is because someone pleas out or there is jail house rat, I don't think that should be considered. I really don't know what the sentences should be for the following but I do believe they should be uniform for all who are guilty. Well, I do have a couple of ideas.

I think there should be a death penalty for capital murder.

First degree murder, conspiracy to murder, multiple counts of murder should be sentenced at the same level of severity.

Child abuse, child abuse by instrumentation, and other crimes of this type should be uniformly sentenced to life without parole.

Burglary, arson, robbery, should be sentenced uniformly.

Most drug trafficking is federal, let them deal with that type.

Drug offenders should be put on work farms to feed the needy, and wear those leg bracelets, and tested every so often. I don't think this sect should be the reason prisons are overcrowded.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Yes we are to easy on our prisoners. We provide them to many comfort items. My wife works at the same hospital as an Uncle of Sandra Cantu. This event has shaken this community. Some times there are no words to describe the effects an act of evil such as this can create. Sometimes mad dogs just need to be put down.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Privately owned prisons are completely absurd. They are just another way to funnel public money into private profits. By having the prison system profitable the incentives are wrong. Instead of rehabilitating prisoners private companies will do everything to keep people imprisoned. I wonder how may police and prosecutors are bribed to collect and jail low level criminals so the private prison system makes money instead of concentrating their efforts on violent crimes and business fraud.
It is not just private prisons, the unions cause a lot of the mess also.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Norway builds worlds most human prison

Original link by John1960.

Although why everyone thinks this would be the most luxurious prison in Norway, I don't know, it certainly isn't.
Note the statistics on offenders, though.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Let us follow Draco's example.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
Parents get apology, no motive, in murder of girl - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_us/us_girl_in_suitcase - broken link)

This just got me thinking...

Are we too easy in our country on criminals?

I am not saying that prison is a picnic. But come on, we are paying so much for criminals to stay behind bars, for such long periods of time. Why should we pay?

What are your thoughts?
Yes, I feel we are too easy on convicted criminals.

Look at it this way;
Where else can you go and hang out with your buds, have a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in (in an air conditioned room), clothes on your back, get an education, watch TV, exercise and get medical attention all for free! The only thing you really loose is the ablity to roam around at will, everything else is a party, so to speak.
These thugs get better treatment for being criminals than the homeless or elderly folks do. Try to be homeless and get that type of treatment from even the most liberal of liberals!

I say the harder the crime the harder the time! No A/C, fans work well (the homeless don't even have fans!), no TV, no exercise equiptment, a few laps around the grounds should work for fitness.
Let make being a criminal uncomfortable not rewarding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates