U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
 
483 posts, read 714,196 times
Reputation: 2434

Advertisements

I have a couple of tattoos in visible places that I got when I was 18. My tattoos aren't big and a lot of times, most people don't even notice them. I have never had trouble getting a job and I work with the public. Ever since I could remember, I have loved tattoos and I still love them years later, they are a part of me but I'm done getting them.

I admit though that facial tattoos are a bit overwhelming and I can't help but wonder what they were thinking, but at the end of the day, it's their body and they can do whatever they want with it. If that includes defacing it, it's theirs and they have to live with the consequences of their decisions. I would never not go into an establishment because someone had visible tattoos. I care more about how I am being treated than if someone is covered in ink.

 
Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,466,140 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I have a couple of tattoos in visible places that I got when I was 18. My tattoos aren't big and a lot of times, most people don't even notice them. I have never had trouble getting a job and I work with the public. Ever since I could remember,. I have loved tattoos and I still love them years later, they are a part of me but I'm done getting them.

I admit though that facial tattoos are a bit overwhelming and I can't help but wonder what they were thinking, but at the end of the day, it's their body and they can do whatever they want with it. If that includes defacing it, it's theirs and they have to live with the consequences of their decisions. I would never not go into an establishment because someone had visible tattoos. I care more about how I am being treated than if someone is covered in ink.
Out of curiosity, why have you decided to stop getting tattoos?
 
Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
 
154 posts, read 446,058 times
Reputation: 110
I laughed and laughed at the funny picture of the second man. I doubt anyone who looks like man number one is going to be unemployed for long if he can talk like he looks.

Number 2 may be doing great financially now but when he is 50 years old I doubt the employer that uses someone like him today will be interested in middle aged man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Let's look at two guys here...

Man #1:
http://straitsareadental.com/images/man-in-suit.jpg

Man #2:
http://ventnorblog.com/copy_images/skull-face-tattoo-lg.jpg (broken link)



Which man will get the job as a loan officer at the bank?
Which man will land the $90,000 per year job as a nursing home administrator?
Which man gets hired as a school teacher?


Now it is entirely possible that Man #2 is an incredibly nice guy - great dad, cool husband, hard worker & unbelievably smart - while Man #1 could very well be a sleazy puke who will steal your iPod & hit on your wife right in front of you.

But let's be honest. Appearance does matter. It certainly doesn't count for everything, nor does it necessarily indicate what's inside a person. But it does matter.
 
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,466,140 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I laughed and laughed at the funny picture of the second man. I doubt anyone who looks like man number one is going to be unemployed for long if he can talk like he looks.

Number 2 may be doing great financially now but when he is 50 years old I doubt the employer that uses someone like him today will be interested in middle aged man.
Yeah. Admittedly, Guy #2 was an extreme. But the point is that how we present ourselves, regarding our appearance, does matter.

That said, I cannot imagine what goes through a guys head that leads him to want to do that to his face. It has to be extremely expensive and painful. But how could he not regret that at some point in his life?
 
Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM
 
483 posts, read 714,196 times
Reputation: 2434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Out of curiosity, why have you decided to stop getting tattoos?
Hi Omaha Rocks,

As I get older, the thought of going to a tattoo parlor and being in pain for a few hours and scarring my body doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I've been there and I've done that, time to move on with that part of my life.
 
Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
 
3,700 posts, read 3,028,739 times
Reputation: 10007
At one time tattoos were considered the ultimate in your face statement regarding the fact that those who had tats were not interested in your view of them, prisoners wore them as signs of group affiliation and just as tough guy statements period, service men wore them because they got drunk and felt pretty tough, for one night at least. Now we have the young folks thinking they have found some way of being permanently marked as a non conformist, along with the millions of other so marked non conformists.

One peculiarity that I'd noticed about those who have been stamped up on their face and hands is that they seem to want to say something to the rest of us about their notions of separateness, it's as though they want to be noticed but not for anything positive necessarily. Others who are similarly marked just don't see the need to be accepted in any part of society wherein their tats would be a problem, as was mentioned, bar tending, motorcycle shop types, and those who don't perform their work in the publics view.

I'm old so my views are reflected as an old guy who remembers the days of tats being a sign of foolhardiness or someone trying hard to look tough, there is nothing more pathetic than some old shriveled up biker stamped like a cow at a drunken branding party, I'm guessing that the removal biz will flourish also.
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,118,260 times
Reputation: 2840
I am an open minded guy but I don't think I would shop at his store.

http://oursouthvalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Thomas-James-Valdez.jpg (broken link)

MAN ARRESTED FOR MURDER*|*Our South Valley (http://oursouthvalley.com/crime-blotter/man-arrested-for-murder.html - broken link)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2010 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Because of copyright issues, please use links rather than posting photos.
 
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,601,923 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The future never occurs to these young people. They live in the moment.

The "what then" is nowhere on these peoples radar. To them it's all about this moment in time with no cares about tomorrow.

I doubt if many people with tattoo's can give you a valid reason to vandalize their bodies since it is a choice of the moment for most.
Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

The wait times at the higher end local shops here are in the 6 months to a year range. Would the hundreds of people booked in, waiting months for their appointment be making a "choice of the moment".

And of course, you've never heard a valid reason for getting a tattoo, because you've already written off all reasons as invalid.


All that aside,
If someone chooses a neck, face or hand tattoo they do have to realize they're at a crossroads in their life. There will be limited lines of work available in the future. I'm not judging that either way, it's just a fact of life. If you've already decided on a career, and it's not one where appearance is important, or is one where that look would be appreciated, then by all means go ahead.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
 
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,466,140 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Hi Omaha Rocks,

As I get older, the thought of going to a tattoo parlor and being in pain for a few hours and scarring my body doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I've been there and I've done that, time to move on with that part of my life.
Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks!
 
Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 AM
 
Location: EPWV
9,874 posts, read 5,781,746 times
Reputation: 11305
I think someone brought this idea up earlier. Tattoos may look ok now on a 20 yr old but what are they going to look like when this individual becomes an 80 year old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top