Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
As a current business owner and former manager in a National company, I have personally excluded qualified people with visible tattoos from employment. Both men and women.
You do realize you are discriminating?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You do realize you are discriminating?
Most likely, yes.

EVERYBODY discriminates. It's just that some get caught doing it in a way that is technically illegal.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Is it discriminating to refuse to hire a waiter/waitress who reeks of body odor and has tangled hair that hasn't seen a comb for months ?

Their skills might be great, but their customers few.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I wish I really cared what someone else decides to do to their body or face....but I don't.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If one wants to look like a carny barker, it might limit their employment options when he looks for other employment.

I have no trouble with carny barkers having tattoos.
Usually the people supporting those operations realize there is a " rip off" in the games.

Buying a new car, one shouldn't expect a similar " rip off"
People with tattoos are not criminals. They are not bad people. There are criminals who have tattoos. There are bad people who have tattoos. There are FAR MORE people WITHOUT ink that are criminals and bad people. Those of you who fear something as simple as a tattoo, and base your judgements of others upon that fear, need a reality check

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-22-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Let's look at two guys here...

Man #1:
http://straitsareadental.com/images/man-in-suit.jpg

Man #2:
http://ventnorblog.com/copy_images/skull-face-tattoo-lg.jpg (broken link)

Which man will get the job as a loan officer at the bank?
Which man will land the $90,000 per year job as a nursing home administrator?
Which man gets hired as a school teacher?
Don't think Man #2 would want those kind of jobs anyway.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
It isn't necessary to compete in the mainstream market. The alternative community is quite large and they buy and sell goods and services. Even the bikers of today consist of doctors, dentists and lawyers, cops etc. There are still the little biker gangs but they are not even close to being as prevalent as they once were.

So, if they aren't gangbanging which is where it serves as both a warning and to communicate identity to those unknown in the same affiliation than they will more than likely find their place within the alternative community. They will go to law school like Eak the Geek and break boundaries there. Many people that live in the alternative community care more about quality and talent and precision and accuracy. They will seek to surround themselves with others that are of like mind and participate in the society that they identify with.

Once upon a time one could say that body tats, or modifications, were a sign of rebellion but the last 20 years I would say that has changed. The odds are that they are already involved in the alternative community or have become engaged in it to a degree. We have teachers and cops and those "authority" figures that wear them. People don't really care about tats when you deal with someone out of necessity. If the cop with the arm sleeve saves your life or brings you the justice you seek-you don't care. If the doctor with the face tat is the most qualified to save your loved one-you won't care. In the same manner that if you can find a trustworthy mechanic then you don't care what he/she looks like. Perhaps, face, neck and hand tatoos won't be taboo much longer. Perhaps, it will force people to judge others on their abilities and talents rather then what they look like.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
I know some very nice, respectable people with tattoos. My father had two from when he was in the Navy; one on his shoulder, the other on his forearm.

I do think they make a girl look cheap. My oldest daughter has four and I hate them on her.

I also think it's distasteful for tattoos to go up the neck and on the face, but I have seen some pretty cool looking sleeves. But those things are so permanent and it affects the way people are looked at no matter what reason or how much you like them.

There are a LOT of people who, when they age some would rather not have the tattoos, but they cannot afford to or do not wish to go through the removal.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-22-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Don't think Man #2 would want those kind of jobs anyway.
Maybe, or maybe not.

The point I was making is that - like it or not - our appearance does matter. How we look, how we dress, etc., does make a difference.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Maybe, or maybe not.

The point I was making is that - like it or not - our appearance does matter. How we look, how we dress, etc., does make a difference.
Omaha, I do agree with you but there is a very large subculture that is doing ok right now. Once the generational shift happens and our economy stumbles, the subculture will lose its allure and those in it will suffer with fewer options.
Gen-X was the driving force of this movement but the younger generation followed more out of conformity than rebellion, as they age their personality type will shun the subculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates