Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,583,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you judge people solely based on appearance?

Isn't that fairly bigoted?
No, actually it's not. Besides, that's really not what he said.

If I walk into a business and the person "helping" me is covered with hideous tattoos, I have every right to walk out the door and go somewhere else.

It might be a dumb choice to make, but I do have the right to make that choice.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,532,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Does it matter what the tattoo is?

What if it is a small, clean, well presented tattoo? Would someone who presents them self professionally yet has a small tattoo be considered less than an unprofessional, disheveled person without a tattoo?

I know this is a little off topic, so I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, but I am curious...
No it does not matter. Your comparison does not fit my statement. I would not hire the unprofessional and disheveled person.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM

19,335 posts, read 9,418,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
My 16 year old and I talk about tattoos from time to time. She wants one on the underside of her forearm.

They say hindsight is 20/20. As a reasonably aged adult, I can see the ramifications of having an unsightly, visible tattoo, but to young people, they see how beautiful it is to them AT THAT TIME and are not capable of seeing it on themselves 20 or 30 years in the future. In their idealistic vision, they will always be young no matter how old they get.

My daughter won't be getting one any time soon.
Maybe before Junior or Missy gets that big tattoo, that it should be a prerequisite that they see one or two tattoo removing sessions ?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,840,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Smart decision.

I will not patronize any business that does hire those people.
I doubt I am alone in my boycot.
You are definitely not alone in your boycott.

Tattoos can be celebratory, of overcoming a life trial, or celebrating the birth of a child, yet narrow minded people everywhere see them as a detriment to life and society, get a clue and get real.

I have a half sleeve on my right forearm.
I was hired at a job selling new and used cars, wearing a short sleeved shirt, in fact there is a thread on here somewhere about it. I was hired with the tattoo, wearing their dress code. 3 weeks later or so I was told I would have to start wearing long sleeved shirts. I politely declined, and continued to outsell ALL their veteran sales people. Just because someone has ink does not make them a less productive worker, it does not make them a bad person, and it certainly does not necessarily cost you business, as a business owner. In fact, I sold more cars to people who constantly complimented my tattoo, and we would sit and talk about them while waiting for our finance manager to be ready. There was even a lady in her late 80s who asked "why did you get that tattoo?" You should have seen her face light up when I told her "because I wanted to, and I generally do what I want". Yep. Tattoos are evil, and so is anyone that has one.

Reality is that they are becoming more mainstream. People use them as a form of expression. I got my first tattoo when my 2nd daughter was born. They are addictive. Once you get one, you need more, the natural high you get from getting one is pretty darned cool. I even dozed off a couple of times while having my forearm colored with a 13tip needle set.

Yes I thought about it, and I thought to myself, I would never work for someone so narrow minded and ignorant that it would matter. Granted I work for myself, in a trade that is surrounded by people with VERY visible tattoos.

Neck or face? No way Jose. First off, too much pain lol. Second, there is NO way to cover up a tattoo on your face aside from makeup, and being a man, I don't own any of that. If I have to get dressed in a long sleeve shirt, guess what, Mine is covered, it stops just above my wrist. The regional managers for the company I sell for now still talk to each other about it, won't they be surprised when i get more...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Maybe before Junior or Missy gets that big tattoo, that it should be a prerequisite that they see one or two tattoo removing sessions ?
I don't think so. However I do think that they should get their first tattoo in a place that is covered by normal day to day clothing, maybe on the shoulder blade, or on your back somewhere. You still have it, it's still hidden, and that way if your career path takes an unexpected turn, you can roll with it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I don't think they were thinking Imagine that
Or they were thinking that "it's my body, and i'll do what i want with it". Interesting thought.

People do what they want, because they want to. Maybe it's not a great personal decision to get a tattoo on your face, but you didn't fall asleep one night and wake up with it there, so it would seem there was some thought to it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Oh, and nothing lasts forever. Tattoos can be removed, as painful as it might be to have a laser removal done on your face, it IS possible

Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,580,974 times
Since I've been in Phoenix, I've noticed more tattoo's of anywhere I've ever been. I guess the younger folks like them. Well, every generation has their thing. We used to put our hair in "rags" in the 70's to frizz out the whole head. And, probably other things I can't remember. I think maybe the henna tatoo's that are removable would be a good place to start, but it's up to the individual. There are worse things to do to one's body (ie smoking, eating fast foods and drinking a lot, IMO are more epidemically destructive than a tattoo).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM

154 posts, read 525,226 times
So far we had one poster who thought that tattoos in places you can not cover in clothes were fine. I do not agree with his/her idea but I respect the argument.

The argument that I have not seen so far is if tattoos are so great then why do you need to get one in a place that can be hidden? If tattoos are wonderful they should be put right on your hand or right on your forehead for EVERYONE to see.

And to the people who thought that many people are not going to discriminate them if they have a tattoo here is my opinion: We are in tough economic times and each of us need every benefit we can get in the world of employment. If we have a visible tattoo maybe 40% of employers are not going to hire you. You are now at a disadvantage. Maybe tattoos will go completely out of style and the public will turn against them. Maybe 80% of employers will reject candidates with tattoos in the near future. They may not be mainstream much longer. In an era of continuing high unemployment, why take the risk?

Last edited by email_lover; 06-21-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,115,234 times
I have wondered what the Nursing Homes of the future will look like. All those elderly people sitting around with the drooping skin and sagging tattoos.

Now, if I were hiring someone for a position and I had a choice between two equally talented and capable people, one with and one without big tattoos......which would I chose?? The one without. Why? Because that's the one that might just have better judgement. Good judgement goes a long way in the business world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates