Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,121,105 times

Advertisements

If one wants to look like a carny barker, it might limit their employment options when he looks for other employment.

I have no trouble with carny barkers having tattoos.
Usually the people supporting those operations realize there is a " rip off" in the games.

Buying a new car, one shouldn't expect a similar " rip off"

DECSIONS------seeking employment vs displaying an expression

A friend of mine had a very long ponytail and applied for a manager's job at a small,rural, town he just moved. ( Municipal liquor store)

He was asked if he would be willing to get a haircut if he got hired.
He stated he would not as the long , ponytail was an --expression-- of who he was.

He did not get offered the job.

Last edited by marmac; 06-21-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,163,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
No it does not matter. Your comparison does not fit my statement. I would not hire the unprofessional and disheveled person.
Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
No, actually it's not. Besides, that's really not what he said.

If I walk into a business and the person "helping" me is covered with hideous tattoos, I have every right to walk out the door and go somewhere else.

It might be a dumb choice to make, but I do have the right to make that choice.
You absolutely have the right to walk out. I never said you didn't. How is not liking someone because they have a tattoo any different than not liking someone because of their race?

Last edited by hnsq; 06-21-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 PM

19,330 posts, read 9,416,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
So far we had one poster who thought that tattoos in places you can not cover in clothes were fine. I do not agree with his/her idea but I respect the argument.

The argument that I have not seen so far is if tattoos are so great then why do you need to get one in a place that can be hidden? If tattoos are wonderful they should be put right on your hand or right on your forehead for EVERYONE to see.

And to the people who thought that many people are not going to discriminate them if they have a tattoo here is my opinion: We are in tough economic times and each of us need every benefit we can get in the world of employment. If we have a visible tattoo maybe 40% of employers are not going to hire you. You are now at a disadvantage. Maybe tattoos will go completely out of style and the public will turn against them. Maybe 80% of employers will reject candidates with tattoos in the near future. They may not be mainstream much longer. In an era of continuing high unemployment, why take the risk?
I bet Best Buy will hire a young kid with those tattoos before they hire someone 40plus years old without a tattoo.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,547,468 times
Quote:
So far we had one poster who thought that tattoos in places you can not cover in clothes were fine. I do not agree with his/her idea but I respect the argument.

The argument that I have not seen so far is if tattoos are so great then why do you need to get one in a place that can be hidden? If tattoos are wonderful they should be put right on your hand or right on your forehead for EVERYONE to see.

And to the people who thought that many people are not going to discriminate them if they have a tattoo here is my opinion: We are in tough economic times and each of us need every benefit we can get in the world of employment. If we have a visible tattoo maybe 40% of employers are not going to hire you. You are now at a disadvantage. Maybe tattoos will go completely out of style and the public will turn against them. Maybe 80% of employers will reject candidates with tattoos in the near future. They may not be mainstream much longer. In an era of continuing high unemployment, why take the risk?
To answer your second paragraph.... many people get their tattoos for themselves, not to simply show off to others. They like their tattoo...maybe they drew it out themselves, or it represents a tough time in their life...maybe a family member died, who knows. It's for them, and nobody else.

I do have two tattoos on my face. Technically, they're my eyebrows though...so not much discrimination there . I would LOVE to get tattoos behind my ears or on the upper part of my neck, but until I'm more established in my career I'm going to hold off.

I have had subtle (and not so subtle) forms of 'discrimination' based solely on my tattoos, but that's something that I've come to accept will happen. Luckily, I live in a pretty laid back place and while there are businesses that will discriminate, I've never had a problem getting or keeping a job.

My current company has compared me to that Goth girl on CSI.... kinda quirky and weird, but intelligent, thoughtful and a great worker. They enjoy having a quirky, candy apple red-haired and tattooed girl around to keep things interesting

Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,547,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I have wondered what the Nursing Homes of the future will look like. All those elderly people sitting around with the drooping skin and sagging tattoos.

Now, if I were hiring someone for a position and I had a choice between two equally talented and capable people, one with and one without big tattoos......which would I chose?? The one without. Why? Because that's the one that might just have better judgement. Good judgement goes a long way in the business world.
And I think that people with well thought out and well placed tattoos have excellent judgement. To each his or her own

Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Smart decision.

I will not patronize any business that does hire those people.
I doubt I am alone in my boycot.

Just curious- why? Ink doesn't automatically lower intelligence, work ethic, or any such thing.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,023,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
You are definitely not alone in your boycott.

Tattoos can be celebratory, of overcoming a life trial, or celebrating the birth of a child, yet narrow minded people everywhere see them as a detriment to life and society, get a clue and get real.

I have a half sleeve on my right forearm.
I was hired at a job selling new and used cars, wearing a short sleeved shirt, in fact there is a thread on here somewhere about it. I was hired with the tattoo, wearing their dress code. 3 weeks later or so I was told I would have to start wearing long sleeved shirts. I politely declined, and continued to outsell ALL their veteran sales people. Just because someone has ink does not make them a less productive worker, it does not make them a bad person, and it certainly does not necessarily cost you business, as a business owner. In fact, I sold more cars to people who constantly complimented my tattoo, and we would sit and talk about them while waiting for our finance manager to be ready. There was even a lady in her late 80s who asked "why did you get that tattoo?" You should have seen her face light up when I told her "because I wanted to, and I generally do what I want". Yep. Tattoos are evil, and so is anyone that has one.

Reality is that they are becoming more mainstream. People use them as a form of expression. I got my first tattoo when my 2nd daughter was born. They are addictive. Once you get one, you need more, the natural high you get from getting one is pretty darned cool. I even dozed off a couple of times while having my forearm colored with a 13tip needle set.

Yes I thought about it, and I thought to myself, I would never work for someone so narrow minded and ignorant that it would matter. Granted I work for myself, in a trade that is surrounded by people with VERY visible tattoos.

Neck or face? No way Jose. First off, too much pain lol. Second, there is NO way to cover up a tattoo on your face aside from makeup, and being a man, I don't own any of that. If I have to get dressed in a long sleeve shirt, guess what, Mine is covered, it stops just above my wrist. The regional managers for the company I sell for now still talk to each other about it, won't they be surprised when i get more...
When it comes to tattoos, there's a few things that kind of enter into the same debate. How about the dress code for schools? I know that there's a school system that does not permit hair with an "unnatural color". I worked at a place that required the employees to wear a uniform.

So if your company demanded that all its employees, or salespeople, wear long sleeves, you'd have a tough argument. But if everyone was permitted to wear short sleeves, everyone except for you, then they'd have the tough argument.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,582,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Just curious- why? Ink doesn't automatically lower intelligence, work ethic, or any such thing.
Let's look at two guys here...

Man #1:
http://straitsareadental.com/images/man-in-suit.jpg

Man #2:
http://ventnorblog.com/copy_images/skull-face-tattoo-lg.jpg (broken link)

Which man will get the job as a loan officer at the bank?
Which man will land the $90,000 per year job as a nursing home administrator?
Which man gets hired as a school teacher?

Now it is entirely possible that Man #2 is an incredibly nice guy - great dad, cool husband, hard worker & unbelievably smart - while Man #1 could very well be a sleazy puke who will steal your iPod & hit on your wife right in front of you.

But let's be honest. Appearance does matter. It certainly doesn't count for everything, nor does it necessarily indicate what's inside a person. But it does matter.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Due to copyright issues, please post links only

Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,166,964 times
I've always thought that getting tattoos on the hands/neck/face were a pretty bad idea, but then most of the people I've seen with tattoos like that work in tattoo shops, own music stores, or are rock stars..

on the other hand, a few have been hoods. Oh, well.

That said, I don't have any problem with people that are tattooed.. placement of the tattoo is a choice just as much as the tattoo itself.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,612,845 times
Quote:
I was over at a local shopping center in the rough part of town and after a long fruitless search for comfortable shoes my husband and I sat down and looked at the people. We spent maybe 30 minutes just watching the people go by and it was quite a show.

The main thing I noticed was the large number of people with very LARGE tattoos in their face, neck and hands. I do not want to get into a traditional debate about the pros and cons of hidden tattoos, there are countless threads about this. Instead, I would like to debate the mindset of people who choose to get these huge tattoos in very visible places that can not be hidden by clothes.
I don't think the size of the tattoo matters much except to one up the peers of the person with the tattoo.

Quote:
What goes through the head of a 21 year old just starting out in the world when he/she gets a huge tattoo on their face?
These are young people that cry out for attention anyway they can get it IMO. Could this be caused by not having a parent at home or a single parent family?

Quote:
Or on their neck or on their hands. I look at my hands all the time and the tattoo to me is "a brand" that would show my opinion about myself on a particular day for the rest of my life. It may look cool to my hip 21 year old friends in 2010 but who knows who my friends will be in 2015 or what type of job I will want to apply for in the future.
The future never occurs to these young people. They live in the moment.

Quote:
Maybe in 2010 I am a hairstylist in a hip salon and think a tattoo on my hand and face will bring me credibility in among my hip customers. But maybe 10 years from now maybe I will be tired of being a hairdresser and want to work as an Office Manager in a traditional company. But I have been branded with my facial, neck or hand tattoo. What then?
The "what then" is nowhere on these peoples radar. To them it's all about this moment in time with no cares about tomorrow.

Quote:
I would like to hear from people who love tattoos in visible places and understand what they were thinking when they got their large tattoo.
I doubt if many people with tattoo's can give you a valid reason to vandalize their bodies since it is a choice of the moment for most.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-21-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Separated quoted text and responses for readability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates